Volvo 850 Made from 1993 to 1997, this Volvo line was available in both a wagon and a sedan, both with were graced with several trim levels.

I need a radio

Search this Thread

Old 01-13-2007, 03:35 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default I need a radio

I need a radio for my 95 850. I don't know what happened but my radio don't power on more. I need a reasonable price radio with the security code. anyone knows where I can get on please let me know. Does anyone know what is the cost at the dealer.

Thanks,
Riculus

Old 01-13-2007, 06:16 AM
Super Moderator
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: I need a radio

I have an extra one in the basement. It's out of a 94 850 Turbo. Does not have the CD player in the unit, but I also have genuine Volvo five disc CD changer that goes in the glove compartment. The radio is the SC-810 and I know it works cause I plugged it into the 97 850 just to make sure. Let me know if you are interested in either or both.

Old 01-13-2007, 09:37 AM

Jim posted first, so check him out, but if you want I have one also that should work for you too. I believe it is a SC-810 as well.

Old 01-14-2007, 10:29 AM
Super Moderator
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

This is kind of strange, but I went out and put a CD in my 850's CD player in the dash and it kept kicking the disc back out. I tried 3 or 4 other discs and the same thing happened. Then after several attempts (more than10) the disc would play, but it would skip every once in a while and then just stop after two or three songs. Anybody had any luck repairing these head units or should I just look for another one?

I already let Riculus know that I won't be selling my extra one at this time. Might just put that one in the R or just the changer in the glove box and and keep the same head unit. Changing the head unit is easy. Putting the changer in the glove box is a pain.

Old 01-14-2007, 03:10 PM
JPN
Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts

Hello Mr. JimKW,

I'll just writewhat I knowon CD player, and I'm sorry if this is something you already know.

In general, optical disk players (CD/DVD) are known to go bad after a few years, about 3 to 7 years. In your case, the laser head might be covered with dusts. If this is the case, you could perhaps try head-cleaning disk available at audio stores/Wal-mart, etc... If you could take the player out and if you can disassemble just enough to get to the laser-head, you could try a can of air-duster at the lens (*Please do not look directly at the lens, an accidental emission of laser beam (even with power off) can damage your vision permanently). If this does not solve the problem, it might be that the player has reached it's lifetime.

Are the disk surfaces free of fingerprints? If the surfaces are dirty, the player may not recognize the disks and return them to you. If they're dirty, I would try window-cleaner and wipe with clean cloth, from the centre of the disk toward the outer in radiating patterns. If the surfaces have fine scratches, it is a bit more difficult butI've rejuvenated some disks with plastic polish.

I hope this helps.

P.S: The forum still shows less posts/page than it used to, it is anoying indeed...

JPN

Old 01-15-2007, 01:44 AM

ORIGINAL: JimKW

This is kind of strange, but I went out and put a CD in my 850's CD player in the dash and it kept kicking the disc back out. I tried 3 or 4 other discs and the same thing happened. Then after several attempts (more than 10) the disc would play, but it would skip every once in a while and then just stop after two or three songs. Anybody had any luck repairing these head units or should I just look for another one?
SC-815 or SC-816 - CD won't play
http://volvospeed.com/Repair/sc816.php

Authorized Factory Service
SC-815 and SC-816 were manufactured by Mitsubishi
https://volvoforums.com/m_35677/tm.htm

Old 01-15-2007, 03:02 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: JPN

P.S: The forum still shows less posts/page than it used to, it is anoying indeed...

JPN
I think the forum loaded new software becuase firefox had a hard time posting. I can't just click on the text box to reply I need to click on one of the formatting buttons first to bring the courser up and then type.

Old 01-17-2007, 05:38 AM

I have had a similar thing happen to me but it only occured on disks I burned myself. I tried different types of media to no avail. After I installed an new CD burner on my PC I tried a new disk and the problem went away. It is my understanding it has to do with the lead-in on the disk and the speed in which it was burned (no more than 24x). I hope this helps.