Volvo 850 Made from 1993 to 1997, this Volvo line was available in both a wagon and a sedan, both with were graced with several trim levels.

I took the plunge and made my 1st Volvo purchase

Search this Thread

Old 02-22-2011, 11:44 PM
Super Moderator
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You'll be spending days cutting that thing out. Follow the cdnbluez link. I use Hole saws to press it out. One the size of the bushing the other bigger that fits over the bushing then a long threaded stud and bolt to move them. Sort of hard to explain typing but it works really really good and the whole job is done in about 5 minutes.

Old 02-23-2011, 07:15 AM

Originally Posted by 91shelby
the bushing in the center should come right out as it doesnt look like its attached to anything, and i would try to heat up the rubber thats left to get it out if possible
So I guess what your saying is there is no metal sleeve the OEM bushing is attached too. This should be even easier than I thought. I was thinking the OEM bushing rubber part was surrounded by a metal sleeve and then pressed in tp the upper mount. Sounds like from reading the link provided (thanks cdnbluez) it's only hard plastic.

Old 02-23-2011, 07:31 AM
Super Moderator
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Just added that link for replacing the Upper Motor Mount to the sticky at the top for DIY. Surprised it was not there already. There was one for the lower, but not the upper.

Old 02-23-2011, 07:32 PM
Administrator
Received 30 Likes on 29 Posts

Turbo Matt: Congrats, you da man now dog!!! I was actually thinking about selling my Yellow T-5R for one of those '98 V70R (rust color).

That top mount is easy. I think there is metal on the rim of it but I just tore it out after I cut the rubber out. I think I used a hack saw, the removal process took less than 10 minutes. I cut out the rubber then wedged a smaller flat tip screw driver under the metal, bent it inward and tore it out. I put in the poly mount from IPD but it does add vibration into the car.
http://www.ipdusa.com/Volvo-S70V70-P...8-364-763-229/

I would replace that mount as soon as you can. You can drive the car but I would NOT put my foot in it. That mount plays a big role in keeping that motor in place and you will learn that the car has a heck of a lot of torque, good mounts are very important.

If you feel any hard shifting, say from 2nd to 3rd. You will likely need the lower torque/transmission mount. I put the ipd heavy duty mount there as well. And yes it also added a little more vibration. You really only feel the vibration at low speeds, say under 25 mph.

The other motor mount that fails A LOT is the front motor mount. The one behind the passenger side wheel. Here are my instructions for that one.
http://www.atthetipwebs.com/technolo...ount_right.htm

As for the seats, that material is not real suede so any upolstry cleaner should work fine.

Is the rear axle still in place?

Old 02-24-2011, 09:26 AM

Originally Posted by rspi
Turbo Matt: Congrats, you da man now dog!!! I was actually thinking about selling my Yellow T-5R for one of those '98 V70R (rust color).

That top mount is easy. I think there is metal on the rim of it but I just tore it out after I cut the rubber out. I think I used a hack saw, the removal process took less than 10 minutes. I cut out the rubber then wedged a smaller flat tip screw driver under the metal, bent it inward and tore it out. I put in the poly mount from IPD but it does add vibration into the car.
http://www.ipdusa.com/Volvo-S70V70-P...8-364-763-229/

I would replace that mount as soon as you can. You can drive the car but I would NOT put my foot in it. That mount plays a big role in keeping that motor in place and you will learn that the car has a heck of a lot of torque, good mounts are very important.

If you feel any hard shifting, say from 2nd to 3rd. You will likely need the lower torque/transmission mount. I put the ipd heavy duty mount there as well. And yes it also added a little more vibration. You really only feel the vibration at low speeds, say under 25 mph.

The other motor mount that fails A LOT is the front motor mount. The one behind the passenger side wheel. Here are my instructions for that one.
http://www.atthetipwebs.com/technolo...ount_right.htm

As for the seats, that material is not real suede so any upolstry cleaner should work fine.

Is the rear axle still in place?
Thanks, yes the rear axles are still in place and working. I am picking up an upper IPD blue mount today (used for $15). He had on his S70 for only a few months and got in an accident. I did notice some hard shifting but I have the Sport mode on most of the time so I figured that was what it was. I'll get it on the lift and check it out. Are the trannie mounts expensive? Honestly the car seems kind of "laggy" to me. I have not changed the plugs, wires, distibutor yet so maybe after I do that it will be a little more peppy. I also noticed a lot of the vacuum lines are old and that could be causing some issues as well. I plan on replacing them when I start to detail the engine area. Other than the Po41o code that keeps trippig the check engine light and some leaking on the PS rack it runs great! Oh I am replacing the Heater core probablty on Friday.