Volvo 850 Made from 1993 to 1997, this Volvo line was available in both a wagon and a sedan, both with were graced with several trim levels.

idle smoke on turbo... adding to a previous thread

Search this Thread

Old 03-31-2007, 05:02 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default idle smoke on turbo... adding to a previous thread

Noob here, so please be gentle. Did a search on idle smoke and learned a lot about turbos causing this condition. However, let me give you some history on this car. PO just put a new turbo on it. Boost seems fine, no oil in coolant, vise versa. He stated the turbo had gone out and was just replaced. In previous posts, oil leaked through turbo when they went out. Question is, could residual oil in intake system/intercooler be heating up and smoking at idle. I only notice this when car is sitting idle for a while in hot conditions. Also noticed a little when first starting it. White lingering smoke with a hint of oil smell. Just changed the oil after PO added oil additive.
I've only had this a week so I don't have reference of how it acted. I did just add some injector cleaner to the tank and mileage has dropped considerably. But it was smoking before adding it.

I am also waiting on the odometer gear parts to do the fix. The link is quite helpful on the way to disassemble odometer and lifting dash cap.

Thanks

Old 03-31-2007, 11:14 PM
JPN
Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts
Default RE: idle smoke on turbo... adding to a previous thread

Hi,

Greetings from Yokohama, Japan.

The smoke is white, and a hint of smell. The coolant seems to be entering the combustion chamber, either from a leaky head gasket or around turbocharger gasket (if the turbo has water jacket in it, I've never disassembled the turbo so I couldn't tell exactly). Have the cooling system pressure tested at a shop. Also, keep an eye on the coolant level in the reservoir to see if it's dropping.

Here's a colour chart for exhaust smoke:

Blue: Engine oil
White: Coolant, or normal water vapour
Dark gray/Black: A/F mixture too rich, either fuel/emissions control problem or a tune-up is required.

I doubt if it is caused by residual oil in the intake, it should have been sucked into the engine under high RPM. Also, I wouldn't use any oil additive, as name-brand oil already has good additives in it. However, I would consider using synthetic/semi synthetic (synthetic blend) oil for turbocharged engines.

I hope this helps.

JPN

[IMG]local://upfiles/6892/E566B3C10DCE48AB8556FF6B296EFB7C.jpg[/IMG]