Volvo 850 Made from 1993 to 1997, this Volvo line was available in both a wagon and a sedan, both with were graced with several trim levels.

Ignition Key Cylinder Problems

Search this Thread

Old 09-21-2007, 06:59 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Ignition Key Cylinder Problems

Hello,

I've only used this site to research problems with my '96 850 sedan. I definatly have a little something to contribute this time.

Yesterday my wife was driving the volvo to school. When she came out of class the key wouldn't go back in the ignition. I came to the rescue, but I couldn't get the key in the ignition either. So I looked it up on this forum and some people with other volvo's had similar problems and had success just hammering the key in. So what the heck right, A new ignition lock cylinder was quoted to me from stealer at $140-$200 and would take 3-4 weeks because they have to order it from sweden. So after spraying heavily with wd-40 I hammered the key in, AND IT WENT IN. But when I turned the key nothing happened and there was no spring to the key like normal when you start it. So I shaked, and jiggled the key as I started to take the steering column apart. And then it happened. The Whole Cylinder and guts from the ignition popped out. After inspection I found that there is a piece in the back of the cylinder that when you press it locks the key from going in. So what I'm pretty sure happened is the cylinder somehow got loose and popped out a little tiny bit and the 2 springs that are right behind it got crooked and pressed this piece that locks the key from going in.

I'm not completely sure but I'll bet that if this happens again I can skip the hammer part and just grab the cylinder with a pair of channel locks and jiggle and pull, and I'll bet it pops right out.

Just a note that when removing and installing the cylinder that the key is supposed to be in the lock and in the number 1 position (first click up). There is a pin on a spring on the side of the cylinder that releases when the key is in this position. And to remove it the right way you are supposed to remove steering column cover and remove the switch that is above it and stick a tiny punch down the hole with the key in #1 position and the cylinder will pull right out.

Old 09-21-2007, 07:54 PM
Administrator
Received 40 Likes on 38 Posts
Default RE: Ignition Key Cylinder Problems

Thank You for posting this it will come in useful to someone on here.

Old 09-22-2007, 10:46 AM
JPN
Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts
Default RE: Ignition Key Cylinder Problems

FCP Groton sells genuine Volvo ignition switch for $51.

http://www.fcpgroton.com/volvo850other.htm

Good luck, I hadhad the same problem of the ignition switch assembly popping out of its nest. Very poor design indeed[8D].

JPN