Volvo 850 Made from 1993 to 1997, this Volvo line was available in both a wagon and a sedan, both with were graced with several trim levels.

info on 850r

Search this Thread

Old 08-06-2010, 11:46 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default info on 850r

hey everyone! Ive been a member for a while but im not very active.

my name is matt and i own a mercedes 190e but my next car is most definitely going to be an 850r. Its going to take me a few years but i want to get familiar with the car by snooping around on the forums here.

So, could someone tell me a little bit about the technical quirks the 850r has? any problem areas?

i love my mercedes, but my mom has a 98 s90 and thats a damn good car. i definitely want to own one of these beauties some day

Old 08-07-2010, 06:13 PM
Administrator
Received 30 Likes on 29 Posts

Man, if you plan to purchase a 850 R you'd better move fast. the junk yards are crushing them and that is a bad sign. The only thing I would consider a quark with the R is that they ride rougher. Tighter suspension. Other than that there is not much difference than the T5. You can get a T5 and purchase an ECU to match the R's speed.

Old 08-09-2010, 12:15 PM

hmm alright thanks rspi!

now the thing im reading thats a little depressing is it doesnt look like 5speed Rs made it to the us. does that mean id be looking at doing a swap? my next car must be a stick shift.

Old 08-09-2010, 01:25 PM
Super Moderator
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

You can either swap, buy one that was imported to Canada with a five speed or buy one that has already been converted.

Another consideration is to look at the 98 S or V70 T5 which was produced and imported to the USA with a five speed. My son has a 98 S70 T5M. T5M is a designation commonly used for the 5-spd vehicles. The 98 R though is AWD and does not come with a 5-spd. He has one of those also.

Old 08-09-2010, 04:17 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by rspi
Man, if you plan to purchase a 850 R you'd better move fast. the junk yards are crushing them and that is a bad sign. The only thing I would consider a quark with the R is that they ride rougher. Tighter suspension. Other than that there is not much difference than the T5. You can get a T5 and purchase an ECU to match the R's speed.

Or you can get a T5 and get a ST 17psi tune and blow away the R.

Old 08-13-2010, 11:50 AM

Originally Posted by B00$T CR33P
lol, who's ST? Speedtuning? how much for the tune, i'm looking at a rica over the ipd reflash.

Old 08-18-2010, 12:06 AM

Originally Posted by JimKW
You can either swap, buy one that was imported to Canada with a five speed or buy one that has already been converted.

Another consideration is to look at the 98 S or V70 T5 which was produced and imported to the USA with a five speed. My son has a 98 S70 T5M. T5M is a designation commonly used for the 5-spd vehicles. The 98 R though is AWD and does not come with a 5-spd. He has one of those also.
Quick question will a S70 Manual bolt up to the R? If so wouldn't this be the way to go. You can get the Manual trannie on Ebay for like $800-$900 used of course.

Old 08-18-2010, 06:23 AM
Administrator

Originally Posted by B00$T CR33P
It would take Boost Creep to chime in with something like this. Man, my R eats up those cheep crummy ST 17psi mods every single day of the week.

Old 08-18-2010, 07:16 AM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by turbo matt
Quick question will a S70 Manual bolt up to the R? If so wouldn't this be the way to go. You can get the Manual trannie on Ebay for like $800-$900 used of course.
My understanding is you can take the 5 speed form the NA model, which is very commong, and put it in the Turbo model. Many have done this. I would would imagine the S/V70 5 speed would work as well, but not certain. Most people look for a donor car and take the 5 speed out of it.

Old 08-18-2010, 11:13 PM

Originally Posted by JimKW
My understanding is you can take the 5 speed form the NA model, which is very commong, and put it in the Turbo model. Many have done this. I would would imagine the S/V70 5 speed would work as well, but not certain. Most people look for a donor car and take the 5 speed out of it.
Well I am looking at purchasing an 850R just like the one in your Avatar pictures (pearl one). I would love to put a 5 speed in it. The S70 and the 850 share the same motor casting I would imagine it would swap right in. I guess I need to do some more research.

Quick couple questions since you have one. Is the the ECU upgrade needed if an exhaust and CAI put on the car. Can the factory computer compensate for the additional air flow? I know with modern cars just adding a CAI can cause the cars to run lean (New Mustang for instance)? Can a manual boost controller be added as well without the additional performance ECU from say like IPD or the others? Can you do a reflash on the factory computer for performance (with something like a Diablo Tuner/Hypertech where it plugs intothe OBD port) or does it have to be sent off? IPD offers a reflash like this but it is only starting with 1999 computers.

Last edited by turbo matt; 08-18-2010 at 11:15 PM. Reason: spelling
Old 08-19-2010, 07:14 AM
Super Moderator

Sorry, but I can't not answer your questions. Both of my cars are stock with no mods whatsoever. If you don't get an answer on this board, go over to volvospeed.com. I truest the answers you get on this board much more than the ones on volvospeed though.

Old 08-19-2010, 08:04 AM
Banned

?seriously?

Old 08-19-2010, 08:06 AM
Banned

It would take Boost Creep to chime in with something like this. Man, my R eats up those cheep crummy ST 17psi mods every single day of the week.
KEEP DREAMING PAL How would 240 hp eat up 278+ hp? A R runs high 14's @ best.My car ran low 14 with just a ST tune retard.My car would eat your R and **** it out for you to eat.

Werent you the one saying how you got beat by a stock supercharged Cobalt? lmfao !!!!!! douchebag

Last edited by B00$T CR33P; 08-19-2010 at 08:08 AM.
Old 08-19-2010, 09:27 AM
Super Moderator

Quick couple questions since you have one. Is the the ECU upgrade needed if an exhaust and CAI put on the car. Can the factory computer compensate for the additional air flow? I know with modern cars just adding a CAI can cause the cars to run lean (New Mustang for instance)? Can a manual boost controller be added as well without the additional performance ECU from say like IPD or the others? Can you do a reflash on the factory computer for performance (with something like a Diablo Tuner/Hypertech where it plugs intothe OBD port) or does it have to be sent off? IPD offers a reflash like this but it is only starting with 1999 computers.
This is a lot to answer but I will give the cliff notes.

For the most part if you just change to a CAI you will be fine with your stock tune. But, as you begin to move past that by adding exhaust, increasing boost, changing injectors, you will need a new tune. There are several companies that offer tunes, IPD, Rica, Turbo-tuner, etc. For the most part you can order these tunes based on your customizations. If you are looking to map your own tune you can go wtih Turbo-Tuner, they offer a USB product. IPD and Turbo-Tuner are the most pricey. You would only need Turbo-Tuner if you are continually changing, upgrading, etc. Other than that you would be fine with a set tune. Just keep in mind, if you go for a turbo-tuner you will need several other components to accurately monitor your car, what I am saying is it gets costly.

Uh oh, rspi has got B00$T CR33P upset....here we go.

Last edited by boxpin; 08-19-2010 at 09:38 AM.
Old 08-19-2010, 01:40 PM

Originally Posted by boxpin
This is a lot to answer but I will give the cliff notes.

For the most part if you just change to a CAI you will be fine with your stock tune. But, as you begin to move past that by adding exhaust, increasing boost, changing injectors, you will need a new tune. There are several companies that offer tunes, IPD, Rica, Turbo-tuner, etc. For the most part you can order these tunes based on your customizations. If you are looking to map your own tune you can go wtih Turbo-Tuner, they offer a USB product. IPD and Turbo-Tuner are the most pricey. You would only need Turbo-Tuner if you are continually changing, upgrading, etc. Other than that you would be fine with a set tune. Just keep in mind, if you go for a turbo-tuner you will need several other components to accurately monitor your car, what I am saying is it gets costly.

Uh oh, rspi has got B00$T CR33P upset....here we go.
Thanks for the answers. I do not want to go crazy with it since it is going to be a DD. I wouldn't mind getting a CAI just so I could hear the turbo working. Be nice to get close 290-295hp without loosing drivability or making it sound like a Honda with a HUGE Muffler sticking out the back.

Old 08-19-2010, 01:53 PM
Super Moderator

These cars have their own special sound.

Old 08-19-2010, 02:02 PM
Banned

Thanks for the answers. I do not want to go crazy with it since it is going to be a DD. I wouldn't mind getting a CAI just so I could hear the turbo working. Be nice to get close 290-295hp without loosing drivability or making it sound like a Honda with a HUGE Muffler sticking out the back.
LOL Mine is a dd and def. has more than 295 hp.And def. doesnt sound anything like a honda thank God.Actually lots of ppl. tell me it sounds like a SUPRA.Thats not really a bad thing.Others say it sounds similar to a WRX.

If you wanna hear the turbo more then get a SHORT RAM INTAKE.Otherwise do what I and many others have done and get a K&N drop in filter with SCONEMANS turbo inlet pipe and you can hear the turbo plenty.Then if you get a turboback exh. like OBX you can really hear the turbo scream.PPl. tell me my car sounds like a jet taking off.lol

heres a vid. of my old car with pretty much the same setup I have now.As you tell it sounds nothing like a ricer.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8IDunPnUY2k

Last edited by B00$T CR33P; 08-19-2010 at 02:04 PM.
Old 08-19-2010, 02:05 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by boxpin
These cars have their own special sound.
And what a sweet sound it is.

Old 08-19-2010, 10:24 PM
Administrator

Sweet sound, kinda sounds like it's missing. Maybe that's why you are still running in the 14's. Last time I was on the track, DragMax (that's right), I didn't even run it in the S mode and was running high 14's, with my foot on the brake. Next time I'm on the east coast I'm going to look you up so you can see what a R can do.

As for the Colbalt that ate my lunch a few months ago, it was far from stock. I tried to tell you back then I found out the dude has the thing modded to almost 400 hp. But as usually, you didn't listed, may have something to do with the sweet sound that damaging your hearing.

Last edited by rspi; 08-21-2010 at 07:37 AM. Reason: typo
Old 08-19-2010, 11:09 PM
Banned

Sweet sound, kinda sounds like it missing. Maybe that's why you are still running in the 14's. Last time I was on the track, DragMax (that's right), I didn't even run it in the S mode and was running high 14's, with my foot on the brake. Next time I'm on the east coast I'm going to look you up so you can see what a R can do.

As for the Colbalt that ate my lunch a few months ago, it was far from stock. I tried to tell you back then I found out the dude has the thing modded to almost 400 hp. But as usually, you didn't listed, may have something to do with the sweet sound that damaging your hearing.

WOW !!! you're an idiot.I said it ran low 14's with nothing but a ST tune retard.I guess you cant read very well on top of being an idiot. And the only thing your hearing missing is the brain cells in your head moron.
I would blow your car away if I was half throttle.

Please do look me up.You will get your car spanked and sent home with your tail between your legs clown.

And BTW I've spanked plenty of modded COBALTS both supercharged and turbo.Also spanked a guy I knows S60R which is much faster than a 850R.
And no your R did not run high 14's on the breaks.You'd be lucky if it ran high 14's all out with your foot thru the floor giving it everything it had.lmfao !!

Last edited by B00$T CR33P; 08-19-2010 at 11:35 PM.

Quick Reply: info on 850r