Volvo 850 Made from 1993 to 1997, this Volvo line was available in both a wagon and a sedan, both with were graced with several trim levels.

Instant Hard Start Problem/Collapsed Lifter

Search this Thread

Old 03-13-2012, 07:42 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Instant Hard Start Problem/Collapsed Lifter

Lets see if you guys can help me out here.

Today I drove my car for the first time in a week and half, started right up, went to the grocery store, parked it for maybe 15 mins, when I came back out I tried to start it and it start real hard and when it fired up it sounded like I had a severe rod knock. It was horrible. Shut it down, then started it, and it was considerably quieter, drove a few feet and the knocking/ticking was gone all together. I believe this was a collapsed lifter. How did a lifter collapse in 15 minutes? I have no idea.

That aside, now when I go to start my car, it starts hard the first time as shown in this video:

http://youtu.be/-Jp39_cA8Zc

However, the car drives 100% normal. I mean, it drives great, zero issues. Just the start up. I have no idea of the correlation between a lifter collapsing and then the car starting hard.

This is my check list so far:

So. What would the car not be getting the first attempt at starting it that it is getting the second attempt?

Fuel: The rail is pressurized. I checked the rail pressure before starting it and I got the same results. Would a failing FPR perhaps have something to do with the hard first start? :unsure:

Air: The car is obviously getting air. The video was also shot with a new MAF swapped in, so that rules that out.

Spark: The car is obviously getting spark. It's starting. I do have a new cap/rotor/plug wires/plugs for it. But I feel like if one of those were to blame, I would be seeing that more so while driving and not just starting.

Compression: From what I can see, the car did not jump time or anything, and from how it felt pulling onto the highway and losing traction in second, it does not feel like it jumped timing.

Power: The car has 12.2 Volts at start up, and the alternator is working

Ignition Sensors? I feel as if they're all good. I mean, the car starts, from what I remember, if any of the ignition sensors were bad the car wouldn't start.

Any other ideas?

Old 03-13-2012, 10:33 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

That is a strange noise the first time you started.

When you say "hard start", you're meaning like in the video where it seems too violent and sudden? Or do you mean it was hard to start, like it cranked for 10 seconds before running?

Made any recent changes in what oil you run?

Old 03-14-2012, 06:43 AM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Turkey_Sandwich
That is a strange noise the first time you started.

When you say "hard start", you're meaning like in the video where it seems too violent and sudden? Or do you mean it was hard to start, like it cranked for 10 seconds before running?

Made any recent changes in what oil you run?
It was the exact same sound/symptoms when I first put this engine in and it sat for a while and all the lifters collapsed.

And in the video? Violent and sudden? It's actually very laggy and not violent whatsoever. It should start more like the second time I started it. The first time was real laggy and the rpms just barely climbed up to 900. I guess you could say the second time starting was more "violent", but that's how it always starts, or should start. I was demonstrating that it sits for a little while, the first start is laggy and the second start is completely normal, like in the video.

Old 03-14-2012, 03:17 PM
Administrator
Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

I keep hearing bad things about Fram oil filters and lifter knock in our engines. If you happen to be running a Fram you might want to toss something else in there just in case.
How long have you had it, what mileage do you change it at and what oil are you using ??

On the hard starting a simple test is to check the nipple and vac line at the FPR (fuel pressure regulator). If the diaphragm has ripped and is leaking raw fuel into the intake you can usually see or smell the gas on the FPR's nipple or in the vac line.

Don't let this happen to you (photo)

Attached Thumbnails Instant Hard Start Problem/Collapsed Lifter-oil-sludge.jpg  

Last edited by Kiss4aFrog; 03-14-2012 at 04:03 PM.