Volvo 850 Made from 1993 to 1997, this Volvo line was available in both a wagon and a sedan, both with were graced with several trim levels.

instrument cluster

Search this Thread

Old 02-04-2010, 01:43 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default instrument cluster

instrument cluster clock works,lights work, ie batterey, brake, etc. but speedometer, tachometer, fuel and temp gauges do not work

Old 02-05-2010, 09:16 PM
Administrator
Received 40 Likes on 38 Posts

Might be a cluster problem. Also if you wiggle the ignition switch do they come back on?

Old 02-06-2010, 12:05 PM

I've had this happen after the removal of the cluster. Items didnot work at first, but after driving for a while they began to function properly. Apparently the computer took some time to run through it's program to reset everything after these had been disconnected for removal of the cluster for bulb replacements. It's a bit of a job; however, not a monster to gain access to the cluster. One has to remove the dash top. A Haynes manual for Volvo 850 gives detailed instructions. Generally, it involves removing about haf dozex small ( #25 tork head screws(kind wit a recessed slot in head reqiring the multipoin star headed screw driver or tool. One has to flip out the radio grills on both sides of the dash, and disconnect the speakers, slip out the small oblong plastic panel on each end of the dash cover, to gain access to attachment screws, remove screws in recessed slots in the plastic hood over the instrument cluster and any othe spots along the under edgge of the dash cover. . Lifting slightly to br sure all screws have been removed along the front edge of the cover, one can remove by raisind an pulling back on it. It's been a while; however, it's best to spend a few bucks on a Haynes manual for your vehickle. It's great for a multitude of jobs. Engine repairs, door panel and body parts removal and work etc.
Once the dash cover is removed, one can remove the plug in wire connectors, unlatch the two latches and pull the whole cluster out for inspection and checking. Before I did any work, I would go to the work garage of any Volvo dealer and ask a volvo machanic what he thinks the problem. They are usually cooperative in giving good free advice, particularly if you are from out of town. Problem could simply be a poor wiring connection at the cluster or a more complicated one in the computer. Good luck.

Old 02-09-2010, 05:18 AM

thank you for the response, i previously replaced the ignition switch thinking that may be the problem. I will drive it for awhile and see what happens. what puzzles me is the entire cluster is not out, just the gauges.