Volvo 850 Made from 1993 to 1997, this Volvo line was available in both a wagon and a sedan, both with were graced with several trim levels.

instrument cluster light question

Search this Thread

Old 07-16-2012, 06:00 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default instrument cluster light question

I have a few lights out in my instrument cluster and everything I have read says to remove the dash pad and then unclip the instrument cluster to pull it out. If I remove the dash pad that means removing the CD deck in the glove box then the air bag bracket etc. Has anyone been able to just remove the screws on the drivers side of the pad and reach in to unclip the instrument cluster and push it out or do I need to remove the entire thing?
Also, how do I change the lights in the HVAC control unit?

Old 07-16-2012, 06:38 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Phil 850
I have a few lights out in my instrument cluster and everything I have read says to remove the dash pad and then unclip the instrument cluster to pull it out. If I remove the dash pad that means removing the CD deck in the glove box then the air bag bracket etc. Has anyone been able to just remove the screws on the drivers side of the pad and reach in to unclip the instrument cluster and push it out or do I need to remove the entire thing?
Also, how do I change the lights in the HVAC control unit?
Hi Phil,

I have read of others freeing the dash pad and removing the cluster as you have suggested, I would be very careful though if you do this because the dash can be very brittle and the lip where the pad inserts near the windshield can break quite easily. Im not too sure how you change the lights on the HVAC control unit, what I do know is that you have to remove the glove box in order to push it out, you might be able to push it out by removing the ash tray, but I am not too sure (suggestions anyone???)

A~

Old 07-16-2012, 07:02 PM
Administrator
Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

You can push the HEAT AC unit out once the original radio or whatever is in it's place is out. Please wear gloves or you'll know why I say please wear gloves.

http://www.matthewsvolvosite.com/for...44908&p=219359

Old 07-16-2012, 09:05 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If I have to remove the dash pad I will replace every bulb I can find so if anyone has a list of bulbs and how many please let me know, I don't want to do this again for a few years at least.

Old 07-16-2012, 10:09 PM
Administrator
Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

If all you're talking about is the Heater/AC head then all you have to pull to get to it is the radio, not the dash pad.

Sorry, you were talking about the instrument lights too.

Last edited by Kiss4aFrog; 07-16-2012 at 10:24 PM.
Old 07-16-2012, 10:14 PM
Administrator
Received 30 Likes on 29 Posts

Remove the entire dash pad. Trying to dig the cluster from under it will only result in broken dash pad, top of dash and cluster pieces. It's all to brittle to try to get around it.

Here is my write-up on the cluster removal and one photo has all the light bulbs highlighted.
Dash Cluster Removal for the Volvo 850

To remove the ECC, pull the radio and push the ecc out from the back. WEAR THICK GLOVES AND PUT A TOWEL on your arms to protect them as well. If you don't, you may need stitches.

Old 07-17-2012, 07:37 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It is easy to remove to gauges... On the drivers side with the door open there is a plug next to the side window vent, remove the cover. use a Torx T25 and remove the bolt, remove the cover, then you will see another T25 bolt near the pillar to the roof, remove that. Then remove the Air/heat louvers on the drivers side and the two top ones in the middle, there are a T25 on the top of the vents(look under to see them), and two one the top side of the cluster. The dash pad lifts off on the drivers side, pull it slightly forward and lift it up. Remove the two harnesses on the top of the cluster, the tan 90 degree elbow on the left side if you have the turbo charged car, and some of the clusters have a harness on the bottom and is removed once you lift the cluster and start rotating it to get it out. I wish I had a video of it... there are four 5 watt bulbs along the top, and two smaller 3 watt bulbs in the digital part of the cluster.

850 Odometer Gear with Instructional Video & Dash Light Bulbs

That is a video of how to remove it, with new dash bulbs and a new gear for the odometer. I dont know where to find the video by itself....

Old 07-17-2012, 09:09 PM
Administrator
Received 30 Likes on 29 Posts

IPd is funny. They have about 50 video's on youtube showing people how to do stuff and there they are trying to sell that video for $30. SMH