Volvo 850 Made from 1993 to 1997, this Volvo line was available in both a wagon and a sedan, both with were graced with several trim levels.

jacking the car

Search this Thread

Old 09-20-2009 | 09:49 PM
|
Default jacking the car

Feel silly asking this question but I was about to remove a wheel to have a peek at the brakes. Pulled out the car's jack (don't have jack stands yet) and quickly noted it's unique design. I then looked for the jacking point and saw what looked like one in the middle of the sill. Curious I thought. Quick look in the haynes and it says the same thing. That will jack up the front and rear tyre at the same time effectively making my car a tripod held up by this dicey little jack. Have I got this correct?

2nd question, where would I normally jack it up if I had a hydraulic jack? Same place? Thanks

Old 09-20-2009 | 10:34 PM

Yes, that's where it goes.

Jack could go there , in the middle behind the oil pan, usual spots as any other car.

Old 09-20-2009 | 10:47 PM

that is where your scary spare tire jack goes, scary, i know.

as far as a normal jack i NEVER put it behind the oil pan....

the hydro jack for the front i usualy put on the large bolt/mounting plate that the sub frame bolts to on the just behind the front wheels. then i put the jack stands on the sides of the sub frame in the middle of the control arm.

for the rear i jack it up right in the middle. and then put the jack stands on the suspension.

Old 09-20-2009 | 10:52 PM

Originally Posted by 850tony
as far as a normal jack i NEVER put it behind the oil pan....
I didn't mean to literally put it on the back side of the oil pan. On that subframe bar that runs across, it's like right behind the oil pan...or is it in front of it? But duh, don't put it on the oil pan.

Old 09-20-2009 | 10:54 PM

Originally Posted by gilber33
I didn't mean to literally put it on the back side of the oil pan. On that subframe bar that runs across, it's like right behind the oil pan...or is it in front of it? But duh, don't put it on the oil pan.

im aware that you dont put it directly on the oil pan. put it in front of the oil pan on the sub frame if totaly ok. but not behind... much to unstable and cramped

Old 09-20-2009 | 11:00 PM
|

the standard volve jack doesn't seem to allow you to get it under the car anywhere other than the sill. Maybe its time for another jack and stands. I'll have a set in two continents!

Old 09-20-2009 | 11:01 PM

it's not meant to get under the car anywhere, it's strictly for changing tires, I wouldn't trust that jack under the car.

Old 09-20-2009 | 11:04 PM

same here. DO NOT GO UNDER THE CAR with that jack. i would not be at all suprised if the jack fell when you were under the car....

Old 09-20-2009 | 11:07 PM

it's basically two tooth picks with a rubber band around them.

Old 09-21-2009 | 04:13 AM
|

Originally Posted by gilber33
it's not meant to get under the car anywhere, it's strictly for changing tires, I wouldn't trust that jack under the car.
You couldn't pay me to get under the car with that thing. I tried getting it further under the car so I could just jack the front tyre up and not front and rear. I barely trust that thing for one tyre let alone two!

Old 09-21-2009 | 08:56 AM
JPN

Everyone's right about the scissors jack. It does lift both front & rear wheels, and NEVER get under the car supported by that thing, unless you wedge something big & hard, say, a truck wheel big enough to allow you enough clearance in case if the jack gives away.

I would recommend a decent hydraulic floor jack, but don't waste your money on a cheapo. Cheapo floor jacks are guaranteed to fail. A decent floor jack wouldn't be sold for $50; I expect it to be at least $150. I place the jack pad under the front member of the subframe, but I put something soft between the jack pad and the subframe. A piece of wood is a good item for this job. I would not let the jack pad directly contact the subframe, as it can deform/leave minor damage a part of the subframe.

As to lifting the rear, it is still up to argument. When I do the rear suspension, I do lift it with the scissors jack, then place the floor jack where the structure looks robust and leave about 1/4" between the jack pad & the structure. I also put a large steel wheel as a 2nd backup.

JPN

Old 10-02-2009 | 11:24 PM

Hate to belabor the point but for safety sake please:

• NEVER trust any jack whether it's a scissors type or hydraulic!!!! Yes hydraulics can and do fail!!
  • ALWAYS back up your jack with a jack stand BEFORE you get under that 3000+ lbs of steel!!! Come on guys, jack stands are cheap.
Professional hoists (like those in real shops) ALWAYS have mechanical safety backups in case the hydraulics fail. Do the same at home.

Old 10-03-2009 | 11:18 AM
JPN

Originally Posted by gdog
hate to belabor the point but for safety sake please:

• never trust any jack whether it's a scissors type or hydraulic!!!! Yes hydraulics can and do fail!!
  • always back up your jack with a jack stand before you get under that 3000+ lbs of steel!!! Come on guys, jack stands are cheap.
professional hoists (like those in real shops) always have mechanical safety backups in case the hydraulics fail. Do the same at home.
+10.

Jpn

Old 10-03-2009 | 08:26 PM
Administrator

LOL, Thanks guys, I needed a laugh today.

People, please get rid of your jack if it is broken. When I got my 850 T-5R the jack was shot. I also noticed that the car has small dents on both sides of the car, lower sections of the front door where the jack was not working properly. I think my junk yard gave me one for free. It was the kind with the crank, it wasn't craking properly.

I guess it would be easy to rotate the tires with this jack method, lifting both wheels off the ground at the same time.