Volvo 850 Made from 1993 to 1997, this Volvo line was available in both a wagon and a sedan, both with were graced with several trim levels.

Want to rotate tires -- rear jacking position?

Search this Thread

Old 04-02-2007, 02:22 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Want to rotate tires -- rear jacking position?

I want to rotate the tires on my '93 850, which I figure would necessitate putting the car up on 4 jack stands. Is this even possible? I can't find anything toward the rear of the car that looks like an appropriate jacking position for a hydraulic floor jack.

I guess I could lift one side of the car at a time but that seems like it'd be hard on the opposite side's suspension..

Do I just have to take it somewhere with a lift and have it done?

Old 04-02-2007, 06:01 AM
JPN
Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts
Default RE: Want to rotate tires -- rear jacking position?

You can lift one side of the car at a time without causing any damage to the other side of the suspension. As a matter of fact, the factory jack point is right between the front & rear doors and one side has to be lifted anyway.

*Use the spare tyre, this way you can rotate all tyres with the scissors jack in the trunk. I would recommend using a torque wrench when torquing the wheels, because if overtorqued, aluminum wheels can crack. Also, watch out for the direction arrow on the side wall. Many modern tyres are direction-oriented, and the direction must not be reversed or the traction characteristics of the tyres can change (to the worse of course).

Many people had the same question. This is due to the unique setting of the rear delta-link transverse control arms.

Good luck,

JPN

*Loosen lug bolts on left rear wheel, lift the left side of the car, take the wheel off and put the spare & lug bolts. Lower the car, tighten the lugs on the spare to snug, loosen the lug bolts on the left front wheel, lift the car again, take the wheel off and put the wheel you took off from the rear. Put the wheel & lug on the front, lower the car. Torque the front wheel, loosen the lugs on the spare, lift the car again and take the spare off and put the wheel you took off from the front, put lugs to a snug, lower the car and torque the lugs. Do this on the right side of the car as well and you're done. Make sure not to get anypart of your body under the car, as it is supported by the scissors jack alone.

[IMG]local://upfiles/6892/4E1E70B4DDF042939675F4DCAAFACA8D.jpg[/IMG]

Old 04-02-2007, 03:52 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

JPN,

Thanks for the info! For whatever reason I hadn't thought of using the spare and just jacking up one wheel at a time. But it sounds like there's a jack point that's made for lifting up one whole side of the car at once with a floor jack?

BTW, I had intended to torque the lug nuts to spec, but I can't find a spec anywhere! The owner's manual says to tighten the spare to 81 ft*lbs but that seems kind of tight for the stock aluminums. The Chilton manual I have is no help here either. Where can I find the torque spec for the wheels?

Old 04-03-2007, 01:18 AM
JPN
Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts

Hi,

>But it sounds like there's a jack point that's made for lifting up one whole side of the car at once with a floor jack?

Yes, there is a point between the front & rear doors where the scissors jack attaches. It looks like a door latch striker and fits perfectly with the jack, you'll know if you see it. As you lift the car, both front & rear wheels lift off the ground.

81ft-lbs is correct, my torque wrench was in in-lbs and I use 972in-lbs (972/12 = 81). Haynes has the same figure I believe. Make sure to final-torque it with the tyres on the ground, with the weight of the car fully on the tyres. The lug bolt is 19mm.

Good luck & be safe.

JPN

[IMG]local://upfiles/6892/945E55488D104BEA9C619B3EFA9C735C.jpg[/IMG]