Volvo 850 Made from 1993 to 1997, this Volvo line was available in both a wagon and a sedan, both with were graced with several trim levels.

Key sticks in ignition, Park will not unlock

Search this Thread

Old 03-12-2021, 06:25 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Key sticks in ignition, Park will not unlock

A Problem, does anyone have any ideas? Two weeks ago I had my 1997 Volvo 850 serviced, drove it home. Went to gas station a few days later and couldn't get key out of the ignition. Also, Park was stuck. After 15 min of wiggling them both were released, but when I moved to a different pump that would take a credit card, the same thing happened. More wiggling the Park button I got it out of Park, but key still stuck in ignition, turned on the motor, then off and the key came out. Had to drive home as no other options for going shopping that day. It's in the driveway now and it locked up again. The Ignition seemed "loose" and has captured the key. I have never had these problems before and it seems odd as I had just spent $900 on service and parts for the engine. The mechanic told me there would be "continuing problems with the Volvo" when I mentioned perhaps I needed a newer car. Did I mention there are few options in my area for Volvo mechanics, I have been to the only 2. Right now I'm without a car unless I go back to the local mechanic who, I may unjustly suspect, may have done something to the car to cause these problems. Perhaps I am just paranoid and there is a reasonable explanation. At this point I just want to drive RT to a car dealership and buy a newer car. I have had the 1997 850 since 2003 and have kept it serviced in a different town than where I am currently and had no problems with their mechanics.

Old 03-13-2021, 03:15 AM
Received 614 Likes on 579 Posts

Originally Posted by Lynn Johnson
More wiggling the Park button I got it out of Park, but key still stuck in ignition, turned on the motor, then off and the key came out.
Those problems are all related to the shifter, The key won't release (actually the ignition lock is not turning back completely to off) because of the shift interlock cable. Either the park release button ( on the front of the shifter) is not coming all the way back out or the interlock cable is not moving properly. Sometimes the release button cracks or sticks, sometimes a little spray of wd40 helps the park release button move the rod inside the shifter.

When it won't move out of park have you tried using the shift lock override button?

Old 03-22-2021, 03:05 PM
Received 45 Likes on 43 Posts

WD40 at the base of the shifter itself has always freed it up for me. By that I mean with the console out where I could see what I was doing. There is some grease in there and after 25 years it's dried out. Probably, if you spray WD40 past the shifter button, it'll run down inside the shifter and potentially solve the problem.

Last edited by firebirdparts; 03-22-2021 at 03:07 PM.