Volvo 850 Made from 1993 to 1997, this Volvo line was available in both a wagon and a sedan, both with were graced with several trim levels.

Knocking E-brake? Only Periodically.

Search this Thread

Old 11-16-2012, 10:52 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Knocking E-brake? Only Periodically.

Hey guys! I've tried looking around the thread but couldn't quite find what I was looking for with an issue I'm having. I've owned my 850 GLT for about 2 months now, and it's treating me FANTASTIC, but sometimes there is 2 knocks in the e-brake when the handle is partially applied, and always exactly 2. But it's not every time, only once in a while. Once it does it's number, it's good for a while. You can pull it all you want and it behaves like a normal parking brake. But after driving for at least a few miles it will come back the next time you apply it regardless of speed. Has anyone had this happen?

Old 11-16-2012, 01:57 PM
Administrator
Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

The parking brake is adjustable and it might be yours is loose and it "shifts" inside the drum causing a knock.
I'd pull the rotor, clean and inspect to make sure everything looks ok and then put the rotor back on and tighten up the adjustment on the star wheel.
When I pulled mine down to do rear brake pads I pulled the rotors and found the parking shoe material laying inside. It had separated from the metal backing.

Attached Thumbnails Knocking E-brake? Only Periodically.-brakes-photo-rear-parking-brake-shoes.jpg  
Old 11-16-2012, 04:04 PM

Why are you pulling the parking brake while moving?

Old 11-16-2012, 04:33 PM
Administrator

It's the only way to kick the rear end around and slide across the street into a parking spot without turning around

You have to see it to believe it !!
Stunt driver Han Yue breaks parallel park record | Information, Gadgets, Mobile Phones News & Reviews | News.com.au

Old 11-16-2012, 08:30 PM

I knew id get asked the 'why' part lol. I have very weird driving habits lol. I use it to trim my speed if I need to slow down but not enough to warrant braking. Its a bad habit learned from driving a crane. And in the snow, what kiss4afrog said lmao. Ill pull the rotor on Sunday and see what's up with it.

Old 11-16-2012, 08:32 PM

Mainly, I use it to save the tranny when parking on a hill. Set the brake, roll back onto it, and THEN put it in park. Saves the nasty clang when pulling it out of park.

Old 11-16-2012, 10:22 PM

How about taking your foot off the gas....
Its a parking brake.... PARKING.... You have got to be kidding me, take it easy there ken block

Old 11-17-2012, 02:57 AM
Administrator
Received 30 Likes on 29 Posts

Originally Posted by Kiss4aFrog
It's the only way to kick the rear end around and slide across the street into a parking spot without turning around

You have to see it to believe it !!
Stunt driver Han Yue breaks parallel park record | Information, Gadgets, Mobile Phones News & Reviews | News.com.au
OMG. So, when it's time to go home, how in the hell do you get your car out of there?

Old 11-17-2012, 12:55 PM

Originally Posted by MattyXXL
How about taking your foot off the gas....
Its a parking brake.... PARKING.... You have got to be kidding me, take it easy there ken block
I'm sorry; I was looking for the VOLVO forum, I must have accidentally posted in driving ethics. But no, seriously... It's my driving style, it works for me. It's not about drifting or anything crazy, it's just what I do. It doesn't cause YOU any problems right?

Last edited by OMGitsnickels; 11-17-2012 at 12:59 PM.
Old 11-17-2012, 02:33 PM

No you stumbled in the common sense forum..

Yeah... it causes me problem, because Your asking a stupid question ...

Your asking why something makes a noise when its used like it was intended to be used.. it intended for use when parked not as a way to slow the car. its a drum that works by cable and is NOT intended to slow the car, just because your too f-ing lazy to move your foot over 3 inches to lightly press the brake.

Your causing more wear to the parking brake shoes than you would ever to the front pads....

I has to be one of the stupidest questions Ive ever seen on here.. Next to the guy that wonders why his eyes burned when he sniffed his exhaust...

Old 11-17-2012, 09:36 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Smile

Originally Posted by MattyXXL
No you stumbled in the common sense forum..

Yeah... it causes me problem, because Your asking a stupid question ...

Your asking why something makes a noise when its used like it was intended to be used.. it intended for use when parked not as a way to slow the car. its a drum that works by cable and is NOT intended to slow the car, just because your too f-ing lazy to move your foot over 3 inches to lightly press the brake.

Your causing more wear to the parking brake shoes than you would ever to the front pads....

I has to be one of the stupidest questions Ive ever seen on here.. Next to the guy that wonders why his eyes burned when he sniffed his exhaust...
nah brother you got to take it easy.l mean the question he asked shouldnt be asked but u have to take it easy on him.we all have our own way of thinking.

Old 11-17-2012, 09:41 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by OMGitsnickels
I'm sorry; I was looking for the VOLVO forum, I must have accidentally posted in driving ethics. But no, seriously... It's my driving style, it works for me. It's not about drifting or anything crazy, it's just what I do. It doesn't cause YOU any problems right?
brother you got to stop using your parking brakes like that before you break something else. volvos are made for luxury, but not for stunts .lmao. please go easy on ur parking brakes. it might be the cause of ur the noise you are hearing.

Old 11-17-2012, 10:07 PM
Administrator

I'm not keen on anyone routinely using a hand brake to slow their vehicle down a little but you have to remember one of the other "names" they call that thing is an EMERGENCY brake and it's purpose is to be able to stop the vehicle should you have a failure of the hydraulic system.

So ........ technically and structurally it should be capable of bringing the vehicle to a stop. Not repeatedly, not every time the vehicle needs to but occasionally. And when it does it should not be making any funny noises if it's in proper condition.

The main thing is why does his make a noise like something is shifting inside the rotor/drum ??

If you need a good laugh watch the way this guy abuses his parking brake.
http://www.news.com.au/technology/st...-1226383024005

Old 11-18-2012, 02:26 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

omg. I thought I've read it all when the guy was wondering why his eyes burned when he shoved his face into his exhaust, but this takes the cake.

"Oh damn! Need to slow down from 65 to 63! Quick, pull the parking brake!"

Old 11-18-2012, 05:47 PM

Originally Posted by Kiss4aFrog
I'm not keen on anyone routinely using a hand brake to slow their vehicle down a little but you have to remember one of the other "names" they call that thing is an EMERGENCY brake and it's purpose is to be able to stop the vehicle should you have a failure of the hydraulic system.

So ........ technically and structurally it should be capable of bringing the vehicle to a stop. Not repeatedly, not every time the vehicle needs to but occasionally. And when it does it should not be making any funny noises if it's in proper condition.

The main thing is why does his make a noise like something is shifting inside the rotor/drum ??

If you need a good laugh watch the way this guy abuses his parking brake.
Sorry but on modern cars that is NOT true at all.

"Emergency" brakes would be a correct term for old cars that have non redundant master brake cylinders prone to sudden failure.
For decades now cars have two brake circuits, so if you do have a hydraulic failure it'll only be partial, hence they haven't designed the handbrakes in modern cars to actually slow a moving car, but rather for parking purposes only.

On another note, handbrake drifting a fwd car is pretty ricer, if I had a beater car I'd do it in the snow but that's about it...

Old 11-18-2012, 11:57 PM
Administrator

In the Volvo Factory Repair Manual they call it a "Parking/Emergency" brake.

I'm guessing the Volvo lawyers checked with the Volvo engineers before they chose to call it an Emergency brake, but I'm just guessing.

I tried to find a source but I can't find anything requiring or specifying that there be an emergency brake or what it be capable of including the U.S. DOT
So I'm old and you've got me on that one.

BUT ... do you know why his parking brake makes noise

Old 11-26-2012, 06:05 PM

Ok, just for some clarification..

I have a feeling some of you may be picturing a silver brick sliding sideways all over the place, which is NOT the case. If that's what you do with YOUR e-brake, that's fine but don't make assumptions. My driving habits are JUST odd. I'm a very left handed thinker, so instead of looking at something on the car saying "This is what it's sole purpose is", I'm going to look at a function and say "what CAN you do with it? What attributes change when it's applied to the car, and how can you use it to your benefit?"

And don't get me started on using things outside of their purpose... If we all kept our Volvo's bone stock, and didn't toy with them, and we all drove exactly according to the manual's suggestions....there wouldn't be an enthusiast forum. My driving style is much different than most, and i've got 13 years of driving with ZERO accidents, of which there are 2 near misses that I can remember that were saved because of a handbrake maneuver.

Let's say your girlfriend is a horrible navigator, you're doing 45, and she announces a turn about 50 feet before you miss it. You can cut the wheel and slam on the brake, and throw your GF into the door or your center console, OR... use the brakes, followed by a little bit of e-brake to make the back end of the car squat down, brake & gas through the corner and you have a perfectly flat turn with no roll-in, and considerably less G's.

I'm **** about car physics... It's stupid, but I use it as a tool. But THE ONLY time it is used to slide the car is if I'm caught in an understeer and I need to correct my driving path. As stated before, it's also a good way to save your tranny when parked on a hill if done correctly.

Now-- I haven't had the chance to look at it with turkey day and birthday stuff going on, hopefully thursday I'll have time to take the wheels off and find my culprit.

--More soon.