Volvo 850 Made from 1993 to 1997, this Volvo line was available in both a wagon and a sedan, both with were graced with several trim levels.

LCD Clock & Tenp Fault

Search this Thread

Old 06-13-2007, 04:34 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default LCD Clock & Tenp Fault

Hello to everybody, my name is David and I dirve a 93 850 GLT 2.0 Auto, forgot to mention also a froum newbie!
I have been searching the forums for a solution to my problem without sucsess, I hope that somebody can help. As a newbie I hope I have posted this in the right place, if I have not I am sorry.

Now down to the problem.
I do not have a trip computer switch fitted and only have the time and ambient temp displayed under my speedo on the lcd display. I had to have the in dash fuel guage replaced and when I got the car back no LCD display. After looking up under the dash my friend found a loose coonector which pluged into the back of the instrument cluster. I now have the LCD display working but incorrectly. I have the clock showing the time, but next to it is the message disc or d15c depending how computer geeky you are. Also displayed are all the options for the trip computer which I do not have. The clock works but that's it. I would really like to get things back to normal.
Does anybody have any ideas on what to do. Knowing that it worked okay before makes matters worse. The only problem is I now have to fix this problem myself. So any or all help would be a great bonus.
Thanks in advance,
David.

Old 06-14-2007, 08:31 PM
Default RE: LCD Clock & Tenp Fault

Hi David,

Welcome to the forum. One question regarding your LCD problem:
When your friend plugged the loose connector into the instrument
cluster was the car's battery connected? If so this may have set
the logic into some strange state and confused the display.
Actually connecting or disconnecting circuits with power applied
is a kind of a no-no. If you are unlucky and do this to the wrong
circuit you might do permanent damage.
I don't know any details regarding this particular circuit, but if it
were mine I would disconnect the negative cable from the car's
battery and let it sit for 30 minutes like that. It might just reset
when you reconnect the battery.Be sure you have your radio
code before you disconnect the battery.
I didn't know the standard cluster contained the trip computer
function...pretty interesting!

Good luck and let us know what happens.

John

Old 06-16-2007, 07:05 PM

Thanks for the tip John.
I think my friend was worried about disonnecting the battery because of the compouter management side of the vehicle.
Will have to try this and let you know the outcome.
Many thanks,
Regards,
David

Old 06-16-2007, 08:57 PM

^Just keep the battery disconnected for at least 15 minutes, and your ECU should reset and you should be ok.

Old 06-18-2007, 02:56 PM

Did they replace just the guage itself or the entire instrument cluster? If the whole cluster was replaced, they likely used one that had the trip computer so it is looking for the dash switch and cannot find it and thus displays DISC on the LCD. That happened to me and I just bought the switch and the wire, plugged the switch into a vacant spot on the dash and pluggged it into the cluster. Now aI have time, temp and the trip computer functions. Paid less than $30 for the switch and wire plug.
Rob

Old 12-11-2007, 09:12 AM

Hey robrike,
Care to tell us how you went about connecting the info switch into the cluster? Also, what model do you have?
Having read some threads on this issue I was under the impression that the ECU would have to have received an upgrade to display such features, apparently you're telling us this is not necessary. Would u please inform us on what you've done to get the functions working. Much appreciated.