Volvo 850 Made from 1993 to 1997, this Volvo line was available in both a wagon and a sedan, both with were graced with several trim levels.

leaky quick fit coupler

Search this Thread

Old 08-26-2013, 06:34 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default leaky quick fit coupler

I have recently replaced the fuel pump on my volvo 850 turbo and i am having trouble with leaky coupler connections. It is really tough to get them off, but not impossible. The one on the right (on the line that goes to the fuel filter, I think) is the leaky one, I believe. But it could be the one on the left leaking, too. The one on the right isn't down all the way on the post, so it very well just may need to be taken off and put back on better. But I noticed that the couplers look different - one of them is probably not correct and I want to make sure which one it is. On the supposedly leaky one on the right, the red ring at the bottom is exposed. The other coupler had a red ring completely inside of the coupler. I initially thought that to be wrong, thinking the red ring was jammed up there incorrectly. But a mechanic just looked at it and thinks it's the one on the right that's leaking and that i should try taking it off and jamming the red ring inside. Basically he's thinking that the ring SHOULD be all the way inside the coupler to create a good seal. I was told before though that the red ring is what you pull up on to release the coupler, which is what I think I've been doing...so...anyone know how the red ring is supposed to be oriented? That might help me solve which coupler is truly leaking, too. And which one to work fuss more with - before I go buy a new line for the mechanic to put in, which is a big job.
Thanks, in advance, for any and all responses!

Last edited by lilred; 08-26-2013 at 06:36 PM. Reason: need to add to it