Volvo 850 Made from 1993 to 1997, this Volvo line was available in both a wagon and a sedan, both with were graced with several trim levels.

Lessons learned: Eating a dog's breakfast

Search this Thread

Old 03-14-2017, 04:03 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Lessons learned: Eating a dog's breakfast

Lessons learned after eating a dog's breakfast

I purchased a 96 Volvo 850 NA with an MT which I discovered today, was a later addition! To baseline, I had a car with multiple CEL complaints and other issues too. To start I replaced all the front components: timing belt, timing roller, timing belt tensioner and hydraulic cylinder, aswell as serp belt. The coolant pump didn't leak so I left it alone, even thoughI have a spare, new one.
I called this a dog's breakfast which is what Canadians call something that is all hosed up. I ended up taking a giant bite out of a toasted shizz sandwich when doing this car: multiple cross-threaded fasteners, some broken, not correct etc etc etc. Super tight fasteners glued with God knowswhat.

After the first day, it was all off.
Second day, all the thread holes were cleaned andrepaired/retapped
Third day, all bolts carefully repaired, engine frontcleaned, covers cleaned and arranged
Fourth day, all back together. And it runs, does not soundhalf bad.

Still have other items to repair or to baseline, but I figgerit can be done.
Lessons learned:
1. On the 850, use only 1/4" drive sockets, breaker bars and ratchets. Have short and deep well sockets to hold fasteners becausethey don't make extensions that short. You need very little else-- a couple ofTorx screwdrivers from the Volvo tool kit and a pair of pliers.
2. Buy the Harbor Freight serpentine belt kit the cheap one and it can install the T-45 in the timing belt tensioner assembly. However the old one was so cammed out and distorted that I took the high road¨-- I bored a 50 mm hole in the side of the outer fender as an access hole to remove the Torx by sheer force directly head on. Under normal circumstances, I betthat the serp bar with something behind it could do the job. Others have said so and it did a great job installing the new one.

3. I also removed (to repair) the right side ABS plasticfender housing, which lacked most rivets. They will probably be replaced by mmx 20 mm plastic screws. Plus I am makinga new hook to hold the portion of the flap that is folded for access to thelower engine front. Will make a plate to cover the hole bored.

Some other minor plastic pieces are missing on the 850engine compartment but it will get cleaned and repaired as time goes on.
Remaining on this car:

Replace all brake hoses and purge system
Check out rear brake tho it seems ok
Continue flush and refill of cooling system
Check out gearbox and replace fluid for baseline
Change oil and filter
Change fuel filter

I have one other 850 turbo to do, plus some EGR work on the 960, just as baseline. Plus the 960 seems to have a small oil leak. Any info on possible sources for the 960 would be welcome.

I will say this: The 960- timing and serp belts are easier than the 850-- it's all about space

Last edited by strelnik; 03-14-2017 at 04:05 PM.