Volvo 850 Made from 1993 to 1997, this Volvo line was available in both a wagon and a sedan, both with were graced with several trim levels.

Lets get this thing moving! Performance questions

Search this Thread

Old 04-27-2007, 02:15 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Lets get this thing moving! Performance questions

Alright, I haven't seen any major problem with my car in a while and I've changed all the fluids checked compression, now I want to add some performance! How much power can I put into the engine before I start damaging internal components. Also does anyone know what I can do to strenghten the internals? like purchase new ones or chemically treat the existing ones, any ideas?

Thanx

Old 04-27-2007, 02:20 AM
Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts
Default RE: Lets get this thing moving! Performance questions

1. Lets start out knowing what you own? We obviously know an 850, since this is the 850 part of the forum. However is it NA or turbocharged?

2. What is your budget?

3. What is your Hp goal?

*On a side note the stock engine can handle about 300Hp before things need to be replaced with better internals etc...

Old 04-27-2007, 04:27 PM

It is a 1995 Volvo 850 Turbo (the 222hp) not the lite presure.
My budget, I suppose for stage 1 I would like to spend under 2000, Thats Canadian dollars so like probably about a hundred US.

I have been doing some research, and I was interested in the ECU upgrade from IPD which will put up to 275 with exhaust, however I found another tuner that (RICA) that boasts a 288Hp boost from 222. However none of these guys say weather or not thats at the wheels, or flywheel...

also I don't know if anyone knows, how difficult it is to chemically treat internals, I have heard of this process called chriogenics or something of that effect, that sounded interesting. Any info on how expensive and accesible this process is would be excellent.

Thanks

Old 04-27-2007, 05:45 PM

ORIGINAL: Lukeman

It is a 1995 Volvo 850 Turbo (the 222hp) not the lite presure.
My budget, I suppose for stage 1 I would like to spend under 2000, Thats Canadian dollars so like probably about a hundred US.

I have been doing some research, and I was interested in the ECU upgrade from IPD which will put up to 275 with exhaust, however I found another tuner that (RICA) that boasts a 288Hp boost from 222. However none of these guys say weather or not thats at the wheels, or flywheel...

also I don't know if anyone knows, how difficult it is to chemically treat internals, I have heard of this process called chriogenics or something of that effect, that sounded interesting. Any info on how expensive and accesible this process is would be excellent.

Thanks
1. You need to do STAGE ZERO. Which can be found on Volvospeed in the PERFORMANCE section in the PINNED threads. This should be done to get your car up and running well. While your at it get a boost gauge one that can read 25 In Hg and 25 PSI. Autometer makes great gauges and you can get them are great prices from Egauges.com also get an A-pillar pod single or triple from gaugepods.com Your car may have a stock boost gauge but it sucks. You can't actually tell how much your really boosting. This STAGE ZERO will run you upwards of $500 or so for everything and is well worth it.

2. You say your budget is 2000 Canadian? But you say that is only about 100 U.S.? That doesn't seem right to me for some reason.

3. IPD and RICA make great ECU upgrades. Either one you go with you will be very happy about.

This is what I suggest you do and in this order. You don't have to but it is a good idea to do.

A. STAGE ZERO

B. Baseline dyno. With this dyno get A/F ratios.

C. 3" mandrel bent downpipe to a 2.5" mandrel bent catback system with a FREE FLOWING muffler like a Magnaflow. A Flowmaster has baffles and you don't want that with a turbocharged car. You want a muffler that is a straight through design muffler, like a Magnaflow. Also a FREE FLOWING CAT as well.

D. Do any other engine mods you had planned other then the ECU upgrade. Intake, Etc...

E. Dyno again and get A/F ratios with this dyno as well.

F. Now send your ECU and both dyno session sheets with A/F ratios to your ECU tuner. Tell them what mods you have and all and they will customize your ECU to your mods and to what your dyno sheets say. That is why the A/F ratios are important to get.

With these mods you will be very happy.

Old 05-06-2007, 08:38 PM

for serious performance, go to WWW.BSR.SE. Its a swedish tunning co. and tunes your car though OBD-II jack in the console , just under the aschtray. Price is 495 Euros, which is about USD 673. Seems far more interesting than anything coming from IPD, and a lot cheaper!

Old 05-07-2007, 05:22 PM

So a reflash that allows for custom tuning. Sounds like a much better way than letting some "tuner" shoot you a base map for your car. A custom map from a well known tuner or if you know how to tune and are not affraid to tune would be a much better method.

Nick

Old 05-07-2007, 07:03 PM

ORIGINAL: mauriciogalvao

for serious performance, go to WWW.BSR.SE. Its a swedish tunning co. and tunes your car though OBD-II jack in the console , just under the aschtray. Price is 495 Euros, which is about USD 673. Seems far more interesting than anything coming from IPD, and a lot cheaper!
BSR is about $1k here in the states. Great tuner.

I would go with RICA.

Also IPD and RICA have come out with a similar tuner like the BSR PPC.

Old 05-07-2007, 07:05 PM

ORIGINAL: white out

So a reflash that allows for custom tuning. Sounds like a much better way than letting some "tuner" shoot you a base map for your car. A custom map from a well known tuner or if you know how to tune and are not affraid to tune would be a much better method.

Nick
Most tuners can do custom maps. RICA is one of them. I believe SpeedTuning USA also does custom maps as well. If you know how to tune then you would have an EMS like CIVINCO and other systems.