Volvo 850 Made from 1993 to 1997, this Volvo line was available in both a wagon and a sedan, both with were graced with several trim levels.

Lowering Springs - do i need a different alignment spec?

Search this Thread

Old 11-23-2005, 02:22 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Lowering Springs - do i need a different alignment spec?

I recently swapped out my suspension and am now in need of an alignment. I've been calling around and several ppl told me that if i put lowering springs on, that aligning back to factory specs could wear them out tires quickly.

I'm running a TME sport Spring / Bilstein HD setup.

Does anyone know if i should have it aligned back to factory settings or if i should consider different settings? IF a different setting...any idea what i should shoot for?

Thanks!

Old 11-23-2005, 06:23 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Lowering Springs - do i need a different alignment spec?

There are three elements of front-end alignment -- toe, camber, and caster.

Most factory specs ask for zero toe. The faster that you drive, the more that your front wheels have a tendency to toe-out. I like to have slight toe-in -- between .125 and .25 or 1/8 and 1/4 inch. This gives me a little more road feel in the steering wheel. The more toe-in that you have, the faster that your tires will wear out. If you have some toe-out, you will lose feel in the steering wheel. The more toe-out that you have, the faster that your tires will wear out. Lowering your suspension will not change desired factory spec.

Most factory specs ask for slight negative camber. Visualize a basketball player leaning his body to the left before he makes a cut to the left. I like to have the camber set to be the same as close as possible -- left and right. On most cars with struts, the camber is permamently set from the factory. Unfortunately, lowering your suspension increases your negative camber -- causing the insides of tires to wear out. Lowering your suspension will not change desired factory spec. However, you will need camber adjustment plates to make any adjustments.

Most factory specs ask for moderate positive caster. Visualize the front forks of a motorcycle -- the degree of rake is the same as postive caster. The more caster that you have, the more feel that you have in steering wheel. The more caster that you have, the wider that your turning radius becomes. I like to have the caster set to be the same as close as possible -- left and right. I have never thought about this before, but I would guess that lowering your suspension would increase your caster -- like it does with camber. More positive caster is generally a good thing, as long as your struts and springs are still functioning properly. You don't want too much caster like motorcycles with extended front forks -- too much rake. Lowering your suspension will ask for more desired positive caster than factory spec.

Bottom line --
Toe-in factory specs remain the same.
Camber factory specs remain the same, but you need to purchase adjustible camber plates.
Caster factory specs can be allowed to drift more positive, but not too excessive.

http://www.artsautomotive.com/thealignmentstory.htm
http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tirete...e.jsp?techid=4
http://www.michelinman.com/care/tip3.html
http://www.circletrack.com/tipstricks/31519/

Old 11-23-2005, 08:14 PM
reg
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: Lowering Springs - do i need a different alignment spec?

Excellent advice from Robert. I am not familiar with your springs but be advised that if they are much shorter than stock, and if the Bilstein's are not shorter than stock, then you will be bottoming out when traversing the Troy Michigan pot holes.
Reg