Volvo 850 Made from 1993 to 1997, this Volvo line was available in both a wagon and a sedan, both with were graced with several trim levels.

Major 850 Volvo Problems...ECU?

Search this Thread

Old 08-17-2005, 11:40 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Major 850 Volvo Problems...ECU?

About 2.5 months ago I bought a non-turbo '95 850 and shortly thereafter I've been having some major issues. When I first bought the car, it seemed to run like a champ and all was well. Then, about a week in, I noticed that when I started the car it would struggle with the RPMs, and it almost felt like it was choking.

I delt with this for a bit, and then when I was driving it down the road the check engine light came on and the car really started to act up. The car started getting the same feeling of choking that it got when it would start up, and the RPMs went up and down. Also, the transmission starting shifting gears up and down at really awkward times. Shortly after, the transmission arrow started flashing. When I parked at a local gas station, every light on the dash came on but went away when I turned off the car and restarted it. Only the check engine and tranny lights remain now. The car won't rev much over 3000RPMs, and feels like it has very little power.

I should also mention, that I will sometimes try to start the car, and when I turn the key the lights on the dash come on, but the car simply makes no attempt to start (no turn over whatsoever). This seems extremely intermittent and will sometimes work first try and will sometimes work after 5 minutes of trying.

The car has 73,000 original miles on it.

I will follow up with engine light codes as soon as I can find a competent volvo mechanic in my area.

Thanks in advance everyone.

*Also, the AC compressor kicks in and out when I am at a stop, but not when I am moving.

Old 08-17-2005, 01:21 PM
Administrator
Received 40 Likes on 38 Posts
Default RE: Major 850 Volvo Problems...ECU?

Yes have the codes pulled.It might lead you to either an O2 sensor or a mass flow sensor, or a Throttle position sensor.

Have the trans codes pulled as well that might be from the engine problem.

I think the starter problem is totally different.Sounds like a bad starter.

The A/C will cycle at idle if the fan speed is low.It does it to prevent the system freezing up.

Old 08-18-2005, 10:58 AM

Hi there,

Have just had problems with my '95 850 se non turbo

It was not starting if left for a short while, (getting petrol/gas for example) than started cutting out on the run.

Turned out to be the fuel pump relay, from what I can work out the relay was "heat soaking" and then not holding in the contacts so the fuel pump was not running, thus the car would not start, two mins later it would be o.k,start and run all day no probs

FROM READING VARIOUS WEB SITES, THIS IS A VERY COMMON FAULT WITH 850's, AND MY LOCAL VOLVO MAIN DEALER CONFIRMED THAT THEY CHANGE QUITE A FEW RELAYS.

It would be worth you reading up on all related posts on various web sites

http://www.matthewsvolvosite.com/cha...46caa7f96b7233

If your "choking" probs are because the car is running rich, (is the exhaust pipe black, can you see if it looks like it is running rich,i.e black smoke from the exhaust)

Then I had this problem, had the oxygen sensor in the exhaust changed and it made very little if not no differance, cleaned the throttle butterfly and other bits and it ran o.k after that.

Can answer any questions you may have if it helps, may not know the answer, but will tell you either way.

Cheers steve

Old 08-18-2005, 04:41 PM

Quick question, I just checked and my '95 Volvo has an OBD-II labelled hookup next to the lighter in the car, does this mean I don't have to take the car to the dealership to get the codes pulled? I don't mind taking it there if I have to, but it's an hour away and I don't know how much longer this brick is going to run without some love....

Old 08-18-2005, 08:07 PM
Administrator

But do you also have the Diag port under the hood.

1995 was a split year some cars had both systems.

Old 08-20-2005, 05:30 PM

Ended up having to take the car to the dealer for the check engine light, I think the OBD-II port is extremely gimped that they put in the 95 model.

Turns out the error code for the check engine light was for a Throttle Position Sensor. The transmission error was for a Gear Position Sensor and Mode Selector switch.

How bad is it to switch out the aforementioned items? I hope my problems are somewhat limited to what the computer turned up.

Old 08-20-2005, 06:07 PM
Administrator

Most likely yes.
They are pretty easy to replace.

The throttle position sensor is really easy to replace.

The PNP gear position sensor is more of a pain to replace.