Volvo S40 The S40 is Volvo's most affordable sedan with all the amenities of a luxury sports car.

Major Problems

Search this Thread

Old 06-18-2008, 06:19 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Major Problems

Hey Guys/Gals, just wanted to introduce myself here. My sisterhas a Passion Red 2004.5 S40 and I am having some major problems IMO (but not according to Power Volvo Irvine - Real characters I tell you). These are problems that have persisted since the beginning but I want to have everything corrected before my warranty expires soon as I don't want her in an unsafe car.

My sisters got about 46K miles on it and its just really annoying me that the techs, service advisors, and service managers are all pretty much useless. My father had a 740GLE Wagon back in the day that ran like a tank, and did good for our family before being totalled on the 405 FWY.

Let me tell you of the problems:

1. Excessive wind noise fromthe windows (all 4). Seals in the rear windows are bent, ut the dealer claims they are normal.
2. The windows can be raised if they are already in the "up" position. This causes the seals to bend and let wind noise in.
3. Transmisson engages very rough when cold, and clunks into gear shaking the whole car. Just the other day it made some grinding noise, and I refuse to drive it, even though the dealer tells me its perfectly safe to drive. The transmission cooling line fell off the car literally with a few hundred miles on the car. The dealer simply fixed the hose and corrected the fluid level, without checking for damage. It does shift rough, hell my M3 with SMG shifts smoother than this POS.
4. Engine runs rough and loud, I can hear the engine more clearly than I can hear myself talk in the car.
5. Strange noises from the Climate Control system, seems as though the adjusters are going bad or constantly working.
6. When the temperature is cold outside, I can hear this clicking sound from the front axle/driveshaft/wheels. Its really irritating as she lives inOC/San Francisco most of the time.
7. When its cold, the front suspension squeeks over bumps and such.
8. Continuous "Immobilizer See Manual / Anti Skid Service Required" lights pop up on the dash and the car will not start as a result. They have replaced the Steering Control Unit 3 times now, and downloaded new software into the CEM or what have you. Apparently this doesn't fix the problem. The steering wheel can be moved freely and the compressor kicks in but the engine doesn't crank.
9. The radio goes into the "Pl seeking........" state for minutes at a time, and the car has to be restarted before it goes away. WTF is that?

Have any of you had such problems before with this fairly unreliable car?

Now get this. I have a meeting with 2 folks from Volvo Cars North America at Power Volvo Irvine, but a lot of these problems like creaks, clicks, and other strange but unheard of noises come when the car is cold. The Service Manager (Ken) wants me to drive the car there and then demonstrate to the Volvo FSM and ASM what the car is doing. Lets not remember we dont even know if the transmission is ****ed up or not.

Thanks for letting me rant. What else should I do? Any suggestions?

PRVolvo.

Old 06-19-2008, 09:18 AM
Default RE: Major Problems

seems to me like your just not happy with the cars performance...get rid of the car.

Old 06-25-2008, 12:09 PM
Default RE: Major Problems

I don't think I have ever heard of all those problems with this particular car. I have an '03 with 140K and it still runs like new. I also work with a guy that has the same car with 130K and he has had only one break down since new. Admittedly there are some creaks and noises but they are very minor (plenty of cheap plastic in the interior). Right now I have some issues with the trans shifting a little rough when it is cold but I'm going to change the fluid given the color change recently. I'm thinking you need to get rid of that car probably on a trade so you don't have liability issues.