Volvo S40 The S40 is Volvo's most affordable sedan with all the amenities of a luxury sports car.

2005 S40 manual transmission clutch spring issue

Search this Thread

Old 02-02-2009, 04:07 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2005 S40 manual transmission clutch spring issue

We have a 2005 model S40 with 5-sp manual transmission. This weekend a spring broke that has someting to do with the clutch pedal assembly (inside the dashboard underneath the steering wheel). While the clutch was depressed at a traffic light this spring just snapped off. The vehicle did not stall and shifting stills functions, although the clutch pedal tension now feels slightly softer. The pedal returns ok and the clutch engages as usual, but without this spring. No special noises or no other signs of a missing critical component...Do you know what this spring is for and if I should have it replaced? Is this an expensive part and much labor involved to replace the spring? Can you recommend a mechanic in the Charlotte NC area?

Old 02-03-2009, 09:43 PM

Wow! You're lucky ... in a way. I wish my clutch pedal had been as agreeable! My '06 manual transmission s40 had an annoying problem with the it. When pushing and releasing the pedal, there was a creaking that sounded like an old wooden ship. There is a TSB on the spring apparatus that you may be referring to. I got mine done under warranty. Now, it's a well-greased ship!

I assume the spring brings the pedal back to its "resting position." Sorry I can't be of more help.

Old 02-04-2009, 02:23 PM

Hi guys - the same thing happened to me this morning. The car is still running ok, but I'm concerned that something more serious may happen as a consequence. Bigbreak - did you get this fixed? Can you share a solution if you have one? Thanks!

Old 02-13-2009, 09:06 AM

I took the vehicle into the dealer. They told me since the vehicle had a few days left under warranty (I thought it already expired) they will take care of replacing the spring. And they did. The mechanic later told me he only had to replace the spring, it was an easy fix. He just had to crawl under the dashboard and clip the new one in. He had never seen this defect on the S40 before. Apparantly there are two return springs on the clutch pedal. If one fails there is a secondary. Loosing one spring is not that critical (unless the 2nd fails, then there would be no return for the pedal). The point he was trying to make is it is best to have the spring replaced asap, but loosing one does not cause wear on other clutch components. My wife now complains the clutch feels much stiffer (not normal) but I think she had forgotten how it was when new 4 years ago...

Old 02-14-2009, 06:57 AM

I brought the car to my Volvo dealer in Dublin (unfortunately out or warranty at this stage) and it took them 1h 30min for labour to replace the spring... They said they had to take the clutch pedal off in order to fix the spring. The spring costed 27 Euro excl. VAT and at the end the simple spring replacement amounted to 191 Euro ($246)! I feel I've been ripped off - don't believe for a minute it takes that long to replace one spring...

Old 02-14-2009, 12:47 PM

Originally Posted by ivomil
I brought the car to my Volvo dealer in Dublin (unfortunately out or warranty at this stage) and it took them 1h 30min for labour to replace the spring... They said they had to take the clutch pedal off in order to fix the spring. The spring costed 27 Euro excl. VAT and at the end the simple spring replacement amounted to 191 Euro ($246)! I feel I've been ripped off - don't believe for a minute it takes that long to replace one spring...
What year car do you have? If you have the newer body style (2005 and up -- in the USA), I believe the process involves removing many panels and parts to gain access to the spring assembly. My sources tell me it's a 4 hr job. Even though I was able to see where the spring assembly is in my car, the TSB requires more work than you'd think. However, $246 is quite steep.

Last edited by gtimark; 02-14-2009 at 03:36 PM.
Old 02-21-2009, 09:05 PM

Hey gti i have the same problem in my s40 t5 (05) when u release the clutch it makes an annoying sound exactly like u described is there any way i would be able to fix the sound....... about a year ago i had the clutch replaced after it blew to hell thats when it started ....

Old 02-24-2009, 09:21 AM
Default clutch spring

Can someone possibly post a photo of the clutchbox showing the position of the spring in an S40 1.8 petrol 2005 or later? Seems that there is only the one spring installed, either the small one in the yellow casing or the larger open spring. Unfortunatly mine has only the larger one and my sisters S40 2.0D has only the smaller one in the yellow casing installed. Thx.

Old 02-26-2009, 04:03 PM

Here are 3 pictures of what I could take a shot of underneath the clutch pedal. Not sure if these will be of any help...

Attached Thumbnails 2005 S40 manual transmission clutch spring issue-img_5016.jpg   2005 S40 manual transmission clutch spring issue-img_5017.jpg   2005 S40 manual transmission clutch spring issue-img_5018.jpg  
Old 02-26-2009, 06:37 PM

Originally Posted by jdsr917
Hey gti i have the same problem in my s40 t5 (05) when u release the clutch it makes an annoying sound exactly like u described is there any way i would be able to fix the sound....... about a year ago i had the clutch replaced after it blew to hell thats when it started ....
I tried lubing the pedal assembly (shown in another poster's pics), the dealer tried that too. But, when the weather was warm outside, the pedal just creaked. I was able to get the dealer to FINALLY swap out the entire assembly for the newer part that doesn't creak. I hear there's a service bulletin on it. It's a 4-hour job (lots of parts have to come out).

I don't know if there's any link (no pun intended) between the creaking sound and the actual clutch. Mine was definitely in the spring assembly.