Volvo 850 Made from 1993 to 1997, this Volvo line was available in both a wagon and a sedan, both with were graced with several trim levels.

Mass air flow hose that goes in to engine

Search this Thread

Old 10-27-2011, 08:04 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Mass air flow hose that goes in to engine

I hope the description says enough to get the right people in here to suggest possible issues. The plastic hose that goes in to the engine....before the maf sensor.....thereis a plug that fits in to the side of it toand it kind of twists on. There is moisture in there, i think its oil...is this issue bad, is it a sign my car is about to have a serious oil leak. Ireally did not think much of it....from what I heard it is suppose to be dry in there.....but hey the car runs great. Thank you in advance for any answers.

Old 10-27-2011, 08:18 PM

Thats your Flame trap... When was the Last time you did you pcv system?

Old 10-27-2011, 10:47 PM

Oh okay thats what that is, Iwas actually looking to do it in the near future. My car has 180k on it and it has not been replaced yet. I have another post about the pvc system up on this forum talking about it. But yeah it leaks under the spark plug cover and in that tube(flame trap) area.

Old 10-28-2011, 03:18 AM
Administrator
Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by mattn888
I hope the description says enough to get the right people in here to suggest possible issues. The plastic hose that goes in to the engine....before the maf sensor.....
Actually it's after the MAF but before the turbo. It's the PTC valve and if you carefully remove it from the rubber grommet in that intake tube you can check to see if it's open. If you pull it out its a good idea to soak it in a cleaner and if you have access to air blow it out really good. I used a small screwdriver and pick to poke around in there and get it nice and clean.

Attached Thumbnails Mass air flow hose that goes in to engine-ptc-valve-location-intake-tube.jpg  
Old 10-28-2011, 08:16 AM
Super Moderator

If you have a turboed engine it will be like the picture Kiss posted. If you are an N/A it will be right before the throttle body.

Either way, a little moisture is ok. It is common for an engine to build a small amount of moisture in the block, especially if you drive short distances. It comes from humidity in the air. Each compression stroke will condense that airborn moisture, most will burn off but some will get by the rings into the block. Keep in mind the amount is very small but can build up. Driving long distances will help clear it out. There are tiny particles of oil and water vaporized in the block, as pressure builds in the block the PCV lets that pressure release into the intake. Since the PCV system allows air to move from the block to the intake that vapor that contains the oil and moisture is welcome to travel the tube. The PCV is designed to capture those particles but obviously it cant get it all. The remainder finds its path into the intake.

With that said, lets not ignore that too much moisture in the system can be a problem. A blown head gasket can dump to much moisture in the block and with the mixing crank can produce a milky brown foam. That can show up on the oil cap, dip stick, etc. You can see it. If your not losing radiator fluid then you are probably ok and the moisture is normal. If you are losing radiator fluid then you should be a bit more concern.