Volvo 850 Made from 1993 to 1997, this Volvo line was available in both a wagon and a sedan, both with were graced with several trim levels.

Metal banging noise from inner fender..? Ideas

Search this Thread

Old 04-19-2009, 08:56 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Metal banging noise from inner fender..? Ideas

Question if anyone knows,

I drive a 1994 Volvo 850 Turbo with 224xxxkm's on it, runs great no problems, always well maintained, all fluids are new and always maintained, i always run premium fuel but thats has nothing to do with this question. I was driving the other day at about 50 km's and a hit a pothole this is the only thing i could link to the situation and the time it started.

I now have a clicking or tapping even banging noise seeming to come from the inner passenger fender area, lower than higher, its not in the engine compartment, i jacked up the car, took on the wheel, checked everything out, played with the wheel, moved it, tugged on the exhaust, started it checked a few things out moved what i could around and tap what i could to listen for the noise. I seem to get nothing when the car is still but when in drive and seeming to be more at idle the clicking of say a wrench on steel, or metal on metal happens, its very prominent from the right side and I can't figure it out, its not the shocks, does anyone have any mechanical input or any volvo issue's the this could be, theres no dents but i can't figure it out and it's worrying me, thanks!!

Hope its not steering linkage or control arms anything too serious..

Thank you very much

Kelsey

Old 04-19-2009, 09:20 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

might be the wheel bearing? but i dont think it would make a tapping noise..more of a tick tick tick tick while driving.hmm, im interested to know what this might be as well.

Old 04-19-2009, 09:33 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

just reread the post...couldnt be the wheel hub...dont think it can be damaged by a pothole..but again i could be wrong

Old 04-19-2009, 10:40 PM
Administrator
Received 40 Likes on 38 Posts

Maybe Cat Converter is bad and rattling?

Old 04-20-2009, 08:11 AM

How about the engine mount (front - that is just below the Crank pulley). That might have given up and is creating the metal to metal contact.

Old 04-24-2009, 12:44 PM
Default few questions, thanks guys

I was thinking both those things, cat and motor mount, but how can i test or isolate the problem, known which is which. I've shooken the exhaust and only yesterday have a heard it quite well again, except this time it for sure sounded like exhaust rattling and it only happened at idle, when i began to drive and applied gas it went away, so i also thought motor mount is possible?? but...hmmm

I'm going to take it in sometime but i'm kinda short on cash, being a student can be tough i work on my volvo mostly myself.

I have two questions i always run 91 premium octane gas in the car but i get a code saying the front oxygen sensor is slow to respond and my lambda light is on, and i can smell a very rich fuel smell out the back as well as when i step on it and it goes in boost i think my leaky return line burns oil on the manifold because it smells like burning oil and tire, it's driving me nuts, i gotta fix it but any ideas, i'm scared to go on the highway with that smell.

I am getting like 350kms from fill to about 30 litres remaining, 30 litres being quarter tank so as for runing rich i thinkm i'm doing decent??

Thank you all in advance

Old 04-24-2009, 02:26 PM

In terms of rattling of motor mount, while engine is idling, open the hood listen for noise. If there is try to apply pressure to engine to see if it changes.

Also, if you take off the front passenger tire you will see the typical mount which goes bad (behind plastic cover) Just look and make sure it is in one piece and solid like this one. http://www.ipdusa.com/version.asp?st...ID=0&V_ID=5363

Old 04-24-2009, 03:06 PM

Can't remember if 850's have one, but my Dad's old car had a heat shield which rattled. It's above the cat and is quite annoying when rusted loose...

Old 11-18-2010, 04:15 PM

I know this is an old thread....

But i'm surprised no one suggested a bad strut bump stop.

I used to have that clicking all the time (mine was from the passenger side). Turned out to be a bad bumpstop I believe. I didn't want to mess with the springs myself (and you need to to do this) so I paid my local mechanic $110 to do both for me. Easy fix.

Did you ever solve it?