Volvo 850 Made from 1993 to 1997, this Volvo line was available in both a wagon and a sedan, both with were graced with several trim levels.

My 850 died while driving

Search this Thread

Old 07-12-2012, 08:32 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default My 850 died while driving

I have a '97 850 wagon. I was driving to work last night with cruise set at 60 mph and with no warning it just shut off. I didn't get any dumby lights until a little while later when the whole dash lit up. Coasted to a stop and tried to start it. It turned over really good but would not start. Got towed home and took my truck to work. When I got home this morning I thought I would try to start it just to see if would start (not expecting any results) and it fired right up.

I can't believe it was just a fluke, there must be a problem somewhere. But where do you even start when it "seems" to be fine now?

Old 07-12-2012, 09:34 AM
Super Moderator
Received 34 Likes on 34 Posts

Look for any loose connections (battery, alternator, grounds, etc). Also check to make sure your ECM is firmly plugged into its slot. Outside of that, the only thing I could think of off the top of my head would be a faulty ignition switch.

Good luck and keep us posted

Old 07-12-2012, 10:21 AM
Administrator
Received 30 Likes on 29 Posts

Most likely problem is a failing fuel pump relay. When they go bad they are very intermittant.

https://volvoforums.com/forum/volvo-...p-relay-64044/

Old 07-12-2012, 11:43 AM
Administrator
Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Now that it is running listen for the fuel pump when it first starts up. You should be able to hear a little "buzz" from back in the fuel pump area. Should it not start try to listen for it again and if it's not there it's likely the fuel pump relay not sending power to the pump.

Last edited by rspi; 07-12-2012 at 12:19 PM. Reason: typo
Old 07-12-2012, 02:28 PM
Super Moderator

Forgot about the damn fuel pump relay......

Old 07-12-2012, 06:28 PM

Thank you for the advice. From reading the How To: Testing Fuel Pump and Fuel Pump Relay, it seems that as long as everything keeps working neither of these tests will work. Does that statement seem correct? If you recommend replacing relay every 10 years, I should probably just go ahead and replace it. It is 15 years old and even though the car has been in my family since new, I don't know if it has ever been changed.

Old 07-12-2012, 06:48 PM

Volvo Fuel Pump Relay (850 C70 S70 V70) KAE 9434225 | FCP Euro

This is the part list on the "How To" thread to replace the relay. Listed at $42.98. If I go to FCP Groton they have two relays listed, one for manual transmission and one for automatic transmission. The part listed above is the same part listed on FCP Groton as being for a Volvo with manual transmission (part #9434225). The part for Volvo with automatic transmission is listed on FCP Groton at $116.55 (part #9441029). Since I have an automatic transimission I'm guessing I would need this second part (#9441029). Or is there really no difference and I can save $70 and get the manual transmission one?

Old 07-12-2012, 07:14 PM

Now I'm just talking to myself here, lol. I think I answered my own question. I took my relay out and it has the same part # (9434225) as the manual transmission part list on FCP. Seems very strange too me. Perhaps somebody could enlighten me?

Also I'm thinking that this is for sure the problem. I just messed with it a little bit by turning key on and leaving on until fuel pump shuts off, then tried to start it and now it won't start.

Thanks again.

Old 07-12-2012, 10:23 PM
Super Moderator

If you know for sure it has never been replaced, then replace it with the same part number as the one you took out

Old 07-12-2012, 11:18 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Could be fuel pump relay, or fuel pump itself.

Almost exactly same symptoms i encountered when my pump died.
https://volvoforums.com/forum/volvo-...72/#post234982

... or it could be something else entirely...

Old 07-18-2012, 05:39 PM

Ok, finally got the relay. Put it in, still won't start. How loud is the fuel pump when it is running? Should it be easy to hear? On my Chev, if you have the windows downs you can hear it inside the truck. I'm wondering if I can't hear it because it's not working or it is already off by the time I get there the hear it from turning key on (not sure how long it would stay running).

I also disconnect the fuel line from the fuel rail on top passenger side of engine and turned the key on. I didn't get any fuel coming out. I think this means I need a pump , any thoughts? Thank you.

Old 07-18-2012, 06:33 PM

Originally Posted by jrmcgove
Ok, finally got the relay. Put it in, still won't start. How loud is the fuel pump when it is running? Should it be easy to hear? On my Chev, if you have the windows downs you can hear it inside the truck. I'm wondering if I can't hear it because it's not working or it is already off by the time I get there the hear it from turning key on (not sure how long it would stay running).

I also disconnect the fuel line from the fuel rail on top passenger side of engine and turned the key on. I didn't get any fuel coming out. I think this means I need a pump , any thoughts? Thank you.
To verify it's the pump, you can pop the access cover off, and next time it doesn't start (like now), then rap on the top of the pump assembly. If it starts working, even briefly, then it's time for a new pump...

If condition is static, then also ck for 12v at the pump connector (again, under the pump access cover).

Old 07-18-2012, 08:04 PM

Well before I read the last post, I took the gas tank off and pulled the pump out. I connected some jumper wires to it and touched them to the battery. The pump works. Not sure where to go from here.

Old 07-18-2012, 08:06 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Not stepping on your toes Gdog. But There is an easier effective way the pump/fuel pressure if you don't have a gauge. Turn the key to the II position a couple few times. Each time let it sit in the II position for 10 or so seconds. Return it to off pull out the key. Then pull out a wrench and loosen the line on the rail, where it meets @ the Thermostat housing. If you get spray as you loosen it. You have pressure, and your pump is good. (Think disconnecting a garden hose sprayer, right after you turn the spigot off) I'll go back and read your thread, before I start offering you options you may have checked. GIve me a little bit. (I'm on hold with Direct TV right now)

Old 07-18-2012, 11:03 PM

Originally Posted by jrmcgove
Well before I read the last post, I took the gas tank off and pulled the pump out. I connected some jumper wires to it and touched them to the battery. The pump works. Not sure where to go from here.
Bummer dude.

See post #4 in this thread:
https://volvoforums.com/forum/volvo-...estions-51036/

What was it Forrest Gump used to say?

Old 07-19-2012, 12:29 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by gdog
Bummer dude.
Truer words. Never spoken. Alright blood, lets get this right (Hopefully for cheap) Read the thread (read it inebriated, but got the gist) So it cut off while you were driving right? So the cam sensor is good. You still have power so the battery is good. You Pulled the pump (oh my lord) so thats good. We need to start by looking for spark. Pull a plug, hook it up, turn the engine over and see if you get some. Not jumping to conclusions, but i know you want answers fast. First place I'd look is the Crankshaft Position Sensor. Unlike the Cam Sensor, if it goes and your car is running, it will kill it dead. Check the spark and then post back.

Old 07-19-2012, 09:44 AM

058ovolv, yes it died while driving. Had cruise set at 60 and just started losing speed, didn't even notice it had died (radio was a little loud). The tach was still reading and no dummy lights came on until after I noticed it was dead. Then next morning when I got home from work it start right up, I was actually able to move it to a better location from where tow truck dropped it.

Hopefully I will get some time to check these things tonight before work. Probably check for power at fuel pump leads also, since it's already apart. How do the fuel lines come off of the filter? I know some vehicles require a "special" but simple little tool. Doesn't look like the tool I'm thinking of would work on these.

Old 07-21-2012, 06:04 PM

Ok, here's an update. I have spark, I have power to wires for fuel pump. I guess I'm going to start putting gas tank back in an hopefully somehow it works now, even though I didn't do anything. I did put I new filter on. But I'm pretty sure a plugged filter wouldn't stop the car dead without warning. Any other suggestions, please?

Old 07-21-2012, 07:26 PM

fuel relay i had the same issue

Old 07-21-2012, 07:51 PM

Originally Posted by dlaxdal
fuel relay i had the same issue
Already changed that, thank you anyway for your response though.

Quick Reply: My 850 died while driving