Volvo 850 Made from 1993 to 1997, this Volvo line was available in both a wagon and a sedan, both with were graced with several trim levels.

My no spark experience

Search this Thread

Old 03-09-2013, 10:02 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default My no spark experience

So as most of you know i picked up Robert's (RSpi) old yellow T-5R from a woman he sold it to almost 2 years ago. The car was Filthy when I got it but in good shape.

So in the passed 2 weeks i have been experiencing a weird stalling issue.. It would start right back up and not do it again so it was damn near impossible to find. It only happened 3 times total in the 1300 miles that I had driven since I got the car.

So on Tuesday i got a service call for Naples Fl, which is about 300 miles round trip. The car was fine until i got to the last 20 miles of my trip. Almost home and all of a sudden the car shut off. I coasted to the side of the highway and tried to restart it... Nothing...

I had a spare fuel pump relay, spare Cam position sensor in the car so i started with the fuel pump relay, cause that was the most common issue.

Nothing, i check fuel pressure it was fine.
I left the car on the side of the highway and went home to get a spare fuel pump just in case..

Still nothing....

Checked for injector pulse ... it was fine.

then we found I had no spark..

Then no spark at the coil..

It was getting dark so i was getting ready to get the car towed home and we decided to try start it one more time ...

It started...

We said the hell with it lets see how far we can get.

I made it to with in 4 miles of my house and boom no spark again.

being close to my house we ran to my house, got a spare coil and a bunch of other parts..

Came back and still nothing..

Changed the parts and it still wouldnt start..

then out of no where it started after my friend tapping on the ecu box..

We jumped in and sped off ...

i made it 100 ft before it shut off. I pulled over and pulled the ecu and re seated it, it started right up.

We made it back to my house and she wouldnt re start.

We pulled the ecu to find some corrosion on one of the pins and in the corresponding socket.

Over the next 3 days I kept trying to start it every couple hours when I was home.... NOTHING

After some hectic days at work I finally had the time to clean up the pins and socket last night...

Popped in the ECU and she fired right up.

After some research and some help for a guy on VS, it turns out that that pin was B11. B11 is the pin for the Ignition Discharge Module.. Hence the no spark....

I would not have been able to figure it out with out the help of Alan (Tech), Danny, Matt (icerocket) and everyone else that helped me along the way..

So moral of this long A*s book of a story is................

If you have no spark and all the usual culprits are fine.. CHECK YOUR ECU PINS.. you will save yourself a lot of headaches..

Old 03-09-2013, 12:05 PM
Administrator
Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

I don't like to mess with an ECM but it sounds like it might be a good idea to pull it and clean it just to make sure there isn't a problem growing in there.
And you were lucky to have spares on hand. Think of the poor guy buying stuff to try and track that one down !!

Thanks for the post. That can save someone from doing this to their car

Attached Thumbnails My no spark experience-totalled-civic.jpg  
Old 03-09-2013, 02:14 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

tomorrow im going to clean it up even more and put little dabs of di-electric grease on each one to prevent it from ever happening again..