Volvo 850 Made from 1993 to 1997, this Volvo line was available in both a wagon and a sedan, both with were graced with several trim levels.

Need help! Buying 850 turbo

Search this Thread

Old 05-01-2007, 08:08 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need help! Buying 850 turbo

Hi guys,
Im new to the board and thinking to get a 850 wagon turbo about 100k-130k. Ive driven a 850 4 doors long time ago and liked how it performed. Im completely have no idea about this car, this is going to be my frist Volvo ever. Can you guys please suggest me?
1. Is it reliable? ( Cant affort fixing every month or two )
2. Is there anything i should concern?
3. Any thing i should know about this car?
4. Are the parts pricy?
5. Should i buy something like 95 Camry with around 120k-160k instead?
Thanks guys for every comment, i really need it!

Old 05-01-2007, 11:20 AM
Super Moderator
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: Need help! Buying 850 turbo

Volvo's are quite a bit more expensive to maintain than Japanese cars no doubt. But yet I own three Volvo's and sold all my Japanese cars. They are reliable but require maintenance and that can get expensive. If you get one with around 140K it's due for it's 2nd timing belt. They should be changed every 70K or 5 years whichever comes first. Make sure that is done! If you are the type to do things yourself there are several message boards where you can find out how to do most anything. The parts can be bought online for farily reasonable prices, but not cheap, but I don't think parts for Honda's and Toyota's are cheap either. Test drive a Camry and an 850 Turbo, compare the selling price then make up your mind. You will buy the Volvo.

Old 05-01-2007, 11:59 AM

Spend the money to get it checked out at a shop. ITs the best way to make sure you arent buying a piece of junk. Turbos are tricky to, make sure it was well maintained and oil changed regularly. Around the 150K mark a few things will need to be replaced im sure, so set aside some money for that.

I bought 850 turbo wagon 2 months ago and LOVE IT!!!! I had small 4 door before and needed something bigger for kids and this works perfect. I have even put a dryer in the back and a whole bunch of other things that i could not have done with my other small 4 door. Not to mention the Turbo flies.

Good luck
Matt

Old 05-01-2007, 05:34 PM

Thanks guys for your reply. What do you guys think of buying car from Ebay?
Thanks

Old 05-01-2007, 05:41 PM
Super Moderator
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I don't like it. I would rather deal with people I find on AutoTrader.com. Just something about the bidding and "buy it now" crap that bothers me. If they post there phone number and give you the opportunity to talk to them directly, it should be fine though. Just recentlymy daughter and her husband bought a car we found on autotrader, but there was one we may have liked better onE-Bay, but we were not willing to pay the miniumum bid. I e-mailed the guy a couple times and sure enoughhe never got his miniumum bid, but when theauction ended we had bought another car. Then he sent me his phone number. I told himif this car had been on Autotrader, we would been there to look at it. Try and find private sellers and stay away from Used Car Lots. If you can find a New Car Dealer that took a Volvo in on trade, you can get a good deal there.

Old 05-01-2007, 06:54 PM

Try Craigslist and your local paper classifieds online.

Craigslist is a very good sight. I would stay clear of Ebay cars unless you inspect them yourself.

Matt

Old 05-01-2007, 08:47 PM

ORIGINAL: jiggadude

Hi guys,
Im new to the board and thinking to get a 850 wagon turbo about 100k-130k. Ive driven a 850 4 doors long time ago and liked how it performed. Im completely have no idea about this car, this is going to be my frist Volvo ever. Can you guys please suggest me?
1. Is it reliable? ( Cant affort fixing every month or two ) They have a very strong engine and transmission. However, at least for me, it seems that there's always something little that needs to be fixed.
2. Is there anything i should concern? Maintenance is a huge item. You gotta make sure it's had its regular maintenance.

But for concerns:
-If you're looking at 96-97, the ABS module is prone to failure. It's about a 150 dollar repair if you send in your faulty unit to this guy to repair.
-Many, including me have found the brakes to be pretty soft. We've yet to find out the true cause, but It may be that the master cylinder needs to be replaced.
-The thermostat also seems to fail for some, but it's cheap (15 bucks) and you can replace it fairly easily.
-The Evaporator for the a/c also likes to break. It's pretty expensive to repair if your unit goes bad. If you fix it yourself, it's really a pain to install.

3. Any thing i should know about this car?
The cup holders suck and are placed awkwardly. Apparently Europeans don't use cupholders.
4. Are the parts pricy?
The parts are pretty pricey, especially since Volvos tend to like OEM parts.
And because there aren't many Volvos on the road as your Honda Civics and whatever, there's obviously gonna be a discrepency in parts price. Plus, you gotta remember the car is a "luxury" car so the prices will be more expensive.

If you get the maintenance done though, you shouldn't have to worry about parts that much though.

5. Should i buy something like 95 Camry with around 120k-160k instead?

I would say No. Dont' get me wrong, they are very very reliable, but it seems that every Japanese car I saw while I was searching was very very overpriced.

I kid you not when I say I saw Honda Accords w/ 180k and the owners were asking for 3 grand.
Thanks guys for every comment, i really need it!
I was in the same position as you in October when I purchased my car.
First off, I recommend you check out the regular sites (autotrader, carsoup, etc) but also check out Craigslist.

I find Craigslist to be the best site because you can see a huge variety of cars and kind of see what is in your price range and what you can potentially get.

But as I said before, the Japanese cars are all very overpriced. People seem to ride the "Japanese Reliability" wave....
The Domestics are pretty much crap until you get to 2000+, and even then, I am skeptical.
Also, the VWs have electrical problems which weren't fixed until the late 90s and they also couldn't seem to make a working o2 sensor until that time also.

I would HIGHLY recommed a Volvo (and maybe a Saab) though.
I find it to be the best value of all the cars I've seen.

I got my 850 Turbo for $3500 w/ 124k miles. I have leather seats, power everything and a sunroof. MOST importantly, I'm bosted!!

You look at Japanese cars, and pretty much every car w/ 124k is at least 5 grand. You're not going to get these "luxury" features either.

And remember, Volvos are extrememly safe. And there are plenty which have gotten over 200k miles. If the car is treated right, it will last.

And one more thing, because Volvos are so safe, the insurance is pretty cheap.

Old 05-02-2007, 02:53 AM

Check out local classifieds,craigslist, autotrader, forums, or eBay. I have purchased my cars from all of them. When I purchased from eBay (STi), I e-mailed the guy and talked to him about the car. Ended up flying from Michigan to North Carolina to pick up the car and didn't pay through eBay. Found my Volvo on craigslist. My Grand National is from a local classified add. In the past I have also bought and sold cars on autotrader. I will proably post my volvo up on craigslist and autotrader when the time comes.

As far as repairs, I have about $400 in repairs for my 850 turbo with 150k on the clock. Most of it is maintainence. Definatly worth the money for what I have had to have replaced.

Nick