Volvo 850 Made from 1993 to 1997, this Volvo line was available in both a wagon and a sedan, both with were graced with several trim levels.

need help with timing on 96 Volvo 850 turbo

Search this Thread

Old 12-02-2012, 03:58 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default need help with timing on 96 Volvo 850 turbo

Had a head gasket and timing belt installed now it seems like they got the timing off does anyone know where I can go to get pics or instructions to check timing marks I'm at a loss now all 3 of my cars are Down and I'm going crazy please help

Old 12-02-2012, 07:14 PM
Administrator
Received 30 Likes on 29 Posts

Hi Jim and welcome to Volvo Forums.

You can likely find what you need in the DIY sticky. Look for timing belt replacement. Here is a link I found:

Volvo 850 Timing Belt and Water Pump Replacement | Happy Wrenching

Why do you think the timing is off? What's going on? The bad news about timing with these cars is that there is very little room for error. Not getting the timing right will likely result in valve damage, they are interfierence motors. Here is a good photo of the marks aligned.

These cars are all about alignment, there are no adjustments for timing or anything like that other than moving the cams in the correct position. If the cam sprockets were removed, that is also bad. Let me know and I'll lead you to another way to make sure timing is correct.

Old 12-03-2012, 05:10 AM

I'm not sure if its timing it just seems that way it has fire its getting gas it just won't hit a lick when they took it it would start just had a bad miss where head gasket blew between cylinders they put gasket kit on had head checked and resurfaced new timing belt crank sensor and ignition module I think the reason for the sensor and module is cause they thought that was why it wouldn't start so after setting at their shop for 5 months had them bring it home it if you turn it over by hand it don't seem to be hitting nothing turns fine I'm at a loss im no Volvo mech timing is my only thought at Rhoda time but it don't seem to have compression either thanks for the assistance

Old 12-03-2012, 05:26 AM

There are also marks on sprockets where they marked to align back how can I check the timing to see if that is the problem

Old 12-03-2012, 08:10 AM
Super Moderator

Here is the lower crank gear. In this case the notch would be lined up between the two notches on this gear. On yours you should have a single notch in the concave section between the two notches in the picture. Thats your timing mark and you can see the casting line in the forefront of the picture.

top sprockets

The timing is completely controlled by the ECU

Last edited by rspi; 12-03-2012 at 08:25 AM. Reason: edit pic
Old 12-03-2012, 08:20 AM
Administrator
Received 30 Likes on 29 Posts

Either the timing is on, or the motor is DAMAGED. There is no in between with many cars these days. It takes about 10 minutes to check compression. A 12 year old can do it.
Compression Test - Volvo S70 GLT, 1998

Several months to fix a bad head gasket, eye-yie-yie. That should take a week at the most, once together, it will run or it was done wrong. I hope they didn't make you pay for anything.

It's good to mark up things when you are doing a big job like that, but that doesn't change the factory set marks, which are the marks that I circled in the picture above. This photo shows several marks but that doesn't change the fact that the marks numbered 10 are the factory marks (whick have a grove grinded into the metal) are the ones set to match the notches in the plastic cover.

Here is what they look like before people paint white out or what not on them. There is actually a grove in the cams sprockets.

On this photo, look at the natural marks near the cover notches, not the white paint. They are faint groves in the metal.

As I stated above, there is no correction once a mistake is made. A guy has a running post about his tensioner failing where he pulled his damaged head, installed another head, had the timing almost perfect, started the car, it wasn't running smooth so he changed the timing alignment, hit the starter and destroyed the newish head. Had to do the job all over. Once damage is done, you won't hear a thing, feel a thing, you just won't have good compression because the valves will not seat correctly.

So, check the alignment and do a compression test. If you have no or bad compression you'll need to figure out why. You can also post your location and if there is a member here that is close to you, they may be nice enough to swing by and give you a hand for a few minutes.

Old 12-03-2012, 06:12 PM

No the guy had my car for several months and they worked on it when they had spare time I didn't want to gripe cause it was cost free but my other 2 cars went down and now I'm in a rental out off pocket waiting on one to comer out of shop believe me I would have paid whatever to have it fixed knowing what I know now anyways enough whining I called the guy today he said they took it to 2 shops and they said timing was good I am going to check all off this you guys have shared with me Friday since I don't have time after work and let you know how goes thanks so much for helping out

Old 12-03-2012, 06:21 PM

Lafollette TN is my location 30 min north of Knoxville if any Volvo knowledgeable people needs some extra cash I've tried everything else