Volvo 850 Made from 1993 to 1997, this Volvo line was available in both a wagon and a sedan, both with were graced with several trim levels.

Need new Oxygen sensor....

Search this Thread

Old 01-07-2007, 05:35 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need new Oxygen sensor....

Hello, 1st post here as I am buying a 1996 850 sedan for my sister from a friend at work. He says the only issue with the car is the ABS module, as I see from the forums that is a most common issue and I plan to send it to the guy reccommended from this great forum. Also, he has a code for the Oxygen (O2) sensor, front one to be exact. From the research I have done here looks like I might as well replace the front and rear ones...as they go for around 100 each.

2 questions,
1 - I see for sale on EBay 2 different manufacturers..Walker and Bosch, see below. Which one is the better of the two...or the "reccommended" one?

Walker
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...05834&rd=1

Bosch
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...MakeTrack=true

2 - Are they easy to replace? Being a non-mechanic, is this something I can do myself? Anyone try it? I know they are on the exhaust, the front one before the Cat and one in the rear after the Cat.

Thanks for all your help!!!

Pat in NY

1996 850 GLT Sedan
non-turbo
Black on Tan
Replacing O2 sensors and ABS module, rest of car is mint
Buying for $1500

Old 01-07-2007, 09:46 AM
JPN
Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts
Default RE: Need new Oxygen sensor....

Hello Pat,

Greetings from Chicagoland.

As to the O2 sensor, if the 850 you're buying is non-turbo, there should be only one sensor. To remove the sensor, you'll at least need the following:

1. O2 sensor socket, or Flarenut wrench (open-end spanner will strip the wrenching surface on the sensor)
2. A breaker bar, if you decide to use O2 sensor socket.
3. A can of PB Blaster (WD-40) to spray at the root of the sensors you're planning to remove.
4. A new sealing gasket (if installed).
5. Anti-seize compound to put on the thread on the new sensor.

Note that the new sensor tip must not be touched, it has to be absolutely clean prior to installation.

I am aftermarket parts phobia, and I myself would go with OEM, in this case Bosch. But Wahler is probably a German mfg and the difference may be negligible, wait until other people reply, if you can wait a few days (Wait, it says Walker, I haven't heard of that mfg unless it's a typo). It may bea personal preference.

Also, the car would have to be jacked up, and if you're not familiar with jacking up the car and using jack stands, I would either have a shop do it for me or have a friend/relative with mechanical skills help you. This is for your safety.

Is the 850 you're buying 1996 or 1995? If 1995,many ABS module repair guys don't repair modules that are older than 1996 models. The 2 places recommended on this board only deal with '96 or newer 850.

I hope this helps.

JPN

Old 01-07-2007, 11:12 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

[align=left] Go with the bosch sensor. A lot of people end up getting a CEL when they use anything else.

Edit: You might try clearing the code for the O2 sensor (and any other codes that are there) and seeing if it comes back. You might be able to save a buck or two, not to mention the time.
[/align][align=left] [/align]

Old 01-07-2007, 01:49 PM

Thanks to both your responses, I look forward to more.

Yes, it is a 1996 non turbo. From all I have read on this board and on the parts sites, there are two Oxygen sensors, one rear one front, even on the non-turbos. Correct?

Sounds like for 100 bucks they are worth buying and having a mechanic throw them in as I do not have a jack and jack stands. Now I just have to find a volvo mechanic willing to thow in my parts here in Westchester, NY, about 45 min above the city...

So Bosch is the way to go huh? I never heard of Walker either, but I just wanted to check.

Here are the two Bosch I plan on buying:
Front
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...089&rd=1,1

Rear
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...663&rd=1,1

Appreciate all the help, keep it coming!!!

Patrick

Old 01-07-2007, 02:25 PM
JPN
Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts

Hello Patrick,

Before you buy the sensors, check with local Volvo dealer/specialized shops to see if they accept installation only, as many places don't seem to accept parts from customers and they want to sell their parts.

You may be correct, there may be two O2 sensors on '96 models. My 850 is '94 and non-turbo seems to have only one. Also, since it's '96, you should be able to have your ABS module repaired.

As Mr. info2x has noted, you might want to clear the codes and see if they come back. O2 sensors seem really fickle and when I clear the codes on my 850, sometimes O2 sensors come back, but for the last 4 weeks or so, they never came back. As for the clearing procedure, there are quite a few on this forum, try to see if you can find one. If not I'll list it though I'm not sure if '96 models have OBD-I terminal. If it sonly has OBD-II, they'd have to be cleared via OBD-II scanner.

Good luck,

JPN

Old 10-10-2007, 01:55 PM

Autozone has the scanner to clear the codes. Also, the 96 DOES have two O2 sensors, one before and one after the cat. I just found out i need both. You can try to clean them first. use a wire brush and DO NOT spray anything on them. You will need a special O2 socket. Again, you can go to autozone and rent it or buy it...not too expensive.

Old 10-11-2007, 02:10 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

For whatever a mechanic will charge you why don't you DIY and at with that money you buy the stands.

Old 10-11-2007, 07:46 AM

ORIGINAL: axelm

For whatever a mechanic will charge you why don't you DIY and at with that money you buy the stands.
I plan on doing this. Going to get jack stands and a small hydraulic jack that I can keep in the car. Crafstman sells a decent one that comes in a case so it doesn't look bad in the trunk.