Volvo 850 Made from 1993 to 1997, this Volvo line was available in both a wagon and a sedan, both with were graced with several trim levels.

New Clutch Problems

Old 09-24-2009, 10:18 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New Clutch Problems

Transmission difficult to engage after clutch change with the engine running. I have a 93 850 with a manual transmission, since it was new. The throwout bearing started talking to me with 175k on the car. OK, no problem, time to change the clutch too. Pulled everything apart and put in all new parts to include all new hydraulic components. Had the hydraulic system pressure bled. I took the flywheel to my local clutch and joint shop and had the surface cleaned up, no scoring, just removed the glaze.

Did I create my problem by having the flywheel surfaced? Volvo does not show any kind of a shim kit for the flywheel. Only a new flywheel for $400+.

Old 09-24-2009, 11:20 AM

resurfacing should not cause a problem. Make sure it was bled completely.

Old 09-24-2009, 12:34 PM
JPN
Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts

Did you install OEM components?

I once used non-OEM clutch components on my 1988 Honda Accord and the clutch went at mere 10,000 miles after the installation.

JPN

Old 09-24-2009, 12:43 PM
Former Sponsor

Sounds like you did everything correct so I am thinking it is either something with the clutch itself or maybe you just missed something when replacing it.

Old 09-24-2009, 12:57 PM

it would be hard to do. but did you put the clutch disc in backwards? that could be a possibility because it will bolt together than way, its just a very tight bolt.

the other thing that might be wrong is the clutch fork is not seated right. might be cocked eyed on the fulcrum point.

Old 09-25-2009, 09:16 AM

Thanks for all the feedback.
I've had the transmission out 3 times now. Getting pretty good with 4 jack stands and a creeper. I thought about the possibility of installing the disk backwards, will not fit, tried it. The clutch fork itself rests on the pivot point correctly and one of the local shops that looked into my problem stated that my travel of all the components, master cylinder, slave cylinder and the fork was correct. I've bled the hydraulics the old fashion way, (pump, hold and bleed) with a vacuum bleeder, and had it pressure bled by a shop. I even replaced the line between the 2 cylinders to make sure the old one had not failed internally and was causing a problem. The clutch kit itself is a Saks and I even had a second kit brought in to compare components to make sure there was not something amiss with the first kit. This one seems to have every one perplexed. The local shop, by discussing possibilities, feels that either the clutch fork is bent, or because the flywheel was resurfaced it has created this problem. I'm being told that some imports cannot have the flywheel resurfaced without placing shims between the crank and the flywheel to return the flywheel back to the original position in relationship with the rest of the components. I didn't have an issue proir to the change so I tend to rule out the fork being bent. When I talked to the local Volvo people in town I got that "deer in the headlight look", their records showed they had changed exactly 2 Volvo clutches.

Last edited by garypettengill; 09-25-2009 at 11:29 AM.
Old 09-25-2009, 10:20 AM
Former Sponsor

With this new information, the only logical conclusion would be the fly wheel. It is the only really change that you have not swapped out with another one to see if it fixes the issue. I would get my hands on another flywheel and see if the issue goes away.

Old 09-25-2009, 08:00 PM
JPN
Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts

+1.

Jpn

Old 10-14-2009, 03:55 PM

Well, the dragging clutch has been put to rest, finally. It was not the flywheel as was suspected. Interestingly enough, when I removed my flywheel from the car and measured it's thickness it was .003 thicker then the one I acquired from the recycle yard in KY. Go figure. After much consternation and long conversations with some local mechanics the suggestion was to throw money at it and get another replacement clutch set. $245.00, OUCH!! Waited the weekend for the parts, put them in and I'll be damned if it didn't fix the problem. OK, so what was the problem all along? I put the first clutch pressure plate into a shop press while it was mounted to my now extra flywheel. Upon compressing the diaphragm springs we found the one side of the pressure plate would not retract and therefore caused the disk to remain compressed between the flywheel and the pressure plate. Who'd of thunk it. Upon showing it to my local mechanic he said he had never seen one do that. They either worked or did not. It's great having my smooth shifting Volvo back. Anybody need a flywheel?