Volvo 850 Made from 1993 to 1997, this Volvo line was available in both a wagon and a sedan, both with were graced with several trim levels.

New radiator and reservoir but losing fluid = blown head gasket or ?? Clues below!

Search this Thread

Old 11-15-2021, 11:51 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New radiator and reservoir but losing fluid = blown head gasket or ?? Clues below!

1. New radiator and reservoir 2/2021 due to fluid loss.
  2. Losing more fluid then before radiator change. Full reservoir empty @ about 100-150mi (1.25” gone by 47 miles)
  3. Cap under pressure and fluid bubbles and changes level when opened.
  4. Radiator fluid warning worked after radiator change but has stopped working again about a month ago.
  5. Damp spot started to form about a 2 months ago while parked overnight under reservoir area but not puddling and hard to tell what it is. Blotting it shows little color. Slightly oily.
  6. White smoke once I press gas peddle which smells of fresh gasoline.
  7. I also have a problem with heat exchanger on passenger side. A new heater coil or flushed is recommended. Any chance this is related to odd radiator leak?
  8. OOPPS forgot! 1995 850 sedan!!!
Just want a second opinion here. My Vo techs suggest a head gasket and I'm flush at the moment and can do it, but then they say they can't touch it for a year (huh??). Is it safe enough to simply add fluids? Should I be driving the fool thing? At this rate, seems dangerous to travel beyond 100 miles. I do have another person I might be able to convince to do it but he's a 4 hour in NYC/ Long Island traffic trip. Seems daunting to keep fluid filled for that trip.
Well. any opinion would be nice. Talk me off the ledge! And BTW, 67, arthritic and no mechanic here! I ain't called old lady for nuttin! Thanks in advance!

Last edited by old lady; 11-15-2021 at 11:55 AM.
Old 11-15-2021, 02:42 PM
Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

I would refill the reservoir and drive it for a few miles then park it. Put a pan under that area so you can see what type of fluid is leaking. You said the coolant level sensor stopped working so I would lift the reservoir and see if the sensor is snug in the tank. Also, check all of the coolant hoses on that side of the car and look to see if the bottom of the radiator is wet. If you end up doing a head gasket, change the valve stem seals while it's off.

Last edited by tonyfr; 11-16-2021 at 07:47 AM.
Old 11-15-2021, 10:31 PM

Thanks so much. I'll check it out best I can.
I appreciate your time and ideas.

Old 11-16-2021, 07:49 AM

Did your coolant reservoir come with a new level sensor and cap or did they re-use the old ones?

Old 11-16-2021, 09:58 AM

All new. Worked up until a month ago when I decided I'd best check and found reservoir near empty so back to my 3 day checks and decided I'd best check miles to inches so I could better judge loss. She never has overheated just a slow no drip disappearing fluid with no sensor.
They found a slight crack in radiator and the reservoir was stained and filthy with a nonworking sensor so that all got replaced. Since then, every time I'm in the shop, I mention the fluid loss and they do some sort of vacuum test or something and say no visible leaks. That led to the head gasket idea, which now he claims I may not need with the new symptoms.
This moist spot is new, too, as of a month or so.
Today, I'm going to do as suggested (played with gutters at home yesterday) and fill reservoir, take a ride, and park it on a plastic sheet w/ pan to see what's all dripping.
FYI, these guys are Volvo only shop and are reputable, reasonable, and good at what they do. The problem in my area is there are few shops that try for repeat customers, and usually use terrible parts, do terrible work and charge too much for the terribleness! The other 2 shops I trust are 200-250 miles away. Not very convenient!!

Old 11-19-2021, 12:24 PM

What was the outcome?

Old 11-20-2021, 12:08 AM

Too busy to see my car before first week of December. Gonna be a stay at home Thanksgiving!!
So I watch fluids, enjoy the spatter pattern of green fluid on a piece of plastic left under the car overnight that appears to be angular, and wonder at the 2 large drops of coolant on top window washer reservoir that suddenly appeared when I visually checked the coolant level today before I took my dog to the park. Haven't had coolant or the reservoir open in engine in 3 days so can't explain these drops. Coolant cap dry so not spitting!
Have a nice turkey day! I'll update when the vo boyz check it out.

Old 12-03-2021, 02:12 PM

Just waiting for Dec 7th!
Watching as reservoir empties faster and faster. The few drops under car can not be leak that empties reservoir so must be disappearing into engine which is terrifying as the boys say they can't fix the main seal for months.
I'm already watching the reservoir empty in twice the time it did a couple of weeks ago. Losing 1/4-1/2" every 20 miles so close to empty by 60 miles. LOL Seems stupid to pay $20 for coolant that leaks out! Oil is fine but did notice trans fluid is now an odd red brown. Doesn't smell burned so I guess if I know my color wheel, seems green n red make mucky brown. That's scary.
Well, just needed to vent a bit. Will update after 7th.
Off to buy fancy special for old Volvo coolant.

Old 12-03-2021, 06:05 PM
Super Moderator
Received 485 Likes on 466 Posts

If you think you are getting coolant into the transmission, stop driving the car! The transmission cooler in the radiator may be breached allowing for the coolant to get into the transmission fluid. You may need to drain the fluid to see whether there's any mixing (measure what drains out so you can add the same amount back in. Just make sure you buy the correct tranny fluid for your model/year). That should get sussed out ASAP before you wind up ruining your transmission. The white smoke in the exhaust is also very concerning repairing a head gasket costs 3X what your car is worth. You can buy a test kit which checks for HCs in the coolant (ie the engine's exhaust gasses find their way through the head gasket and into the coolant.

Old 12-03-2021, 07:58 PM

That sounds like a passel of trouble.
If it is supposed to look like a strawberry milkshake or milky, the transmission fluid does not. It's just not translucent rose madder red, it's a red brown color and not as translucent.
I'll call em in the morning.
Thanks for the info as terrifying as it may be!

Last edited by old lady; 12-03-2021 at 08:10 PM.
Old 12-04-2021, 09:08 AM

As I search internet in my new found transmission panic, I found a transmission fluid chart. Do you think this correct enough that I can keep driving? The green circle is about what I see in my car:

Last edited by old lady; 12-04-2021 at 09:11 AM.
Old 12-04-2021, 01:48 PM
lev
Received 134 Likes on 125 Posts

You have a leak from the coolant tank. The shop that did it didn't do a good enough job.
Your tranny fluid is dirty, should be changed.
The white "smoke" could be normal condensation depending on the conditions and how long it spews out after you start the car providing it's present when the engine is cold then it goes away.

Old 12-04-2021, 05:30 PM

That sums it up! Thanks!

Old 12-04-2021, 07:28 PM
Super Moderator
Received 485 Likes on 466 Posts

+1 with Lev. Your fluid looks normal for a car of that age. I think the fact that you are getting spotting suggests there's an issue with something external like a hose or perhaps the overflow reservoir has a crack ( possible even if its new). Still seems like a lot of coolant going somewhere - I'd think your shop should be able to do a pressure test or at least inspect for leaks once the engine is warm. Keep in mind these cars use a closed cooling system that pressurizes as it heats up. You should be able to see something with a warm engine.

Old 12-04-2021, 08:21 PM

Thanks for your input. I agree, now there's something leaking as well as disappearing fluid. (Drips under car are new as of October)
Yes, since they replaced the whole kit'n'kaboodle in February 2021, I'd say it's been pressure tested some 4 times with no leaks detected (so they tell me). The last time was mid October and that's when the wet spot under car appeared. Now it's losing so much coolant with not enough drips to explain the loss, and I'm at my wits end!
They get to play find the leak on the 7th. And already told me in October if it needs engine seal, they can't do it until sometime 2022.
If they find no leak, I don't know what recourse I'll have. I'm losing the reservoir liquid between 60-80 miles now. Makes driving to my old shop some 3-4 hrs away a daunting prospect. And I really don't want to foist the problem on George.
I mean, these guys only work on Volvos. Nothing else. I've been going to them for about a decade (240 before this 850). Up to this year, I've trusted them implicitly. Now I've got 2 separate major repairs this year with problems. Maybe they are sick of me n my 850.
Wish I didn't like old Volvos.

Last edited by old lady; 12-04-2021 at 08:23 PM.