Volvo 850 Made from 1993 to 1997, this Volvo line was available in both a wagon and a sedan, both with were graced with several trim levels.

new volvo 850 owner

Old 03-03-2013, 10:07 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default new volvo 850 owner

Hello! I just bought a 1996 volvo 850. When i was test driving it, everything was perfect. But when I bought it and went to drive it home, it wouldnt start. The previous owner said she just had a new battery put in and an alternator. We got jumper cables and it started fine and it drove home okay, except the check engine light went on. It starts now but the radio isn't working at all and the passanger window wont work. Does anyone know whats going on with this car? Why was it working completely fine and then just not start? Im hoping it isnt something huge cause I am a very broke 19 year old in school full time. My mechanic doesnt know volvos too well so i want to see if i can get an idea whats wrong with it before i bring it to him so he doesnt have to spend much time on it. Thank you

Old 03-03-2013, 10:29 AM

Check the codes for the check engine light. When I got mine the erg port needed to be cleaned and then has run great since (had cold start trouble). Does the radio say "off" it may need the security code

Last edited by siren; 03-03-2013 at 10:33 AM.
Old 03-03-2013, 11:44 AM
Administrator
Received 30 Likes on 29 Posts

Hi Kristine, welcome to Volvo Forums.

Sounds like you were not able to check it out good prior to buying it, that's why we posted a Pre-Purchase thread in the 850 section and I posted a YouTube video about buying old used cars, but that's water over the bridge now.

A new battery can go dead in a car if it sits for a week or two without being charged by the car (being driven around). Sounds like someone may have taken the po for a ride selling them a battery and alternator but that's not your issue. My guess on the NO START would be that the battery is dead and needs to be charged up if it has not been damaged by being totally discharged. What is the date sticker on the battery? Once you get the car started, it usually has to run at least 30 minutes to get charged up enough to start again the same day and maybe 45 minutes to start tomorrow. Short trips can kill a new battery sooner than later. If the battery is 3 months old and sat in the car connected for those 3 months with less than 1 hour driven, it's possible that the battery now has dead cells and needs to be replaced.
- Take it somewhere like AutoZone to get charged up for FREE. If you have problems with it after that it may be bad. They will test it and let you know FOR FREE.
- These cars can have a problem that drains the battery, The #1 culprit is the glove box light. Once the battery is charged and working, turn the car off and set your phone on video record in the glove box for a few seconds. Close the glove box and see if the light is on with the glove box closed. If the light stays on, you'll need to fix that by taking the bulb out or putting something between the door and switch to push the plunger in and get the light to go off.

As for the CEL, you can go by AutoZone or somewhere to get the codes checked for free. If the battery is dead, it will clear the codes itself and you'll have to drive around until the CEL comes back on.

Radio: If you look in the Volvo General Chat section and look in the FAQ thread you'll find the information about how to enter the correct code to get the radio from CODE to working. If it says OFF the wrong code was entered and it will be a slight pain in the butt to get back on.

After all is said and done, you have a 17 year old car that is a great car but with all cars that age, it will always need something done to it to keep it running good and nice. You can learn how to fix things yourself here and even print off things here to give to people that will fix things for you if you don't want to try yourself. If you don't fix things yourself it can get a little expensive. I'd say expect about $70 per month if you do things yourself and maybe $150 per month if you pay to have things fixed.

Most people love these cars, they are great. However, because of their age they need care and upkeep. It's kinda like a mate that is an emotional mess. You love them very much but they are a real pain in the butt.

Old 03-03-2013, 11:50 AM
Administrator

Oh, because your car is a '96 model, there is a good chance that it does NOT have the EGR system.

Post 850 purchase thread:
https://volvoforums.com/forum/volvo-...s-s-v70s-9266/

Pre 850 purchase thread:
https://volvoforums.com/forum/volvo-...s-guide-13678/

My pre-purchase video (basically a 30 minute show on buying a car):

Old 03-03-2013, 07:45 PM

Originally Posted by rspi
Oh, because your car is a '96 model, there is a good chance that it does NOT have the EGR system.
Which models don't have EGR?

Originally Posted by rspi
Post 850 purchase thread:
https://volvoforums.com/forum/volvo-...s-s-v70s-9266/

Pre 850 purchase thread:
https://volvoforums.com/forum/volvo-...s-guide-13678/

My pre-purchase video (basically a 30 minute show on buying a car):
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DLxRNfmb74A
I'll have to watch that video in its entirety. I liked the first tip before I cut it off in order to reply to this thread... which was take a dental mirror to check the brakes. That's pretty slick.

Old 03-03-2013, 07:53 PM
Administrator

I tend to talk a lot when I think I'm sharing information people would like to hear.

EGR's: I know the '96 R's do not and none that I know of after '96. Replaced with the air pump system I believe.

Old 03-04-2013, 08:56 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default volvo discharge

Kristine- To eliminate the glove box light draining the battery possibility, just pop the little white cover off (inside the glove box) and take the bulb out. Put it back in a month from now after your battery thing is sorted out, see if it drains again. Or just leave it out for good. who really needs a glove box light anyway? Dave