Volvo 850 Made from 1993 to 1997, this Volvo line was available in both a wagon and a sedan, both with were graced with several trim levels.

No Spark After Replacing Cooling Fan, Wtf?

Search this Thread

Old 05-25-2008, 05:24 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default No Spark After Replacing Cooling Fan, Wtf?

The cooling fan smoked while I idled at a parking lot. I turned off the car and verified the smoke was coming out of the electric motor. I disconnected the fan and the socket to the relay(for ac i believe) and went straight home. Today I was able to start the car and move it within my garage to get ready to replace the fan. All went well until the car moved rolled forward after I put it in park (small incline, never a problem in the past) and got ready to work. As I tried to get underneath better, i tried turning the car back on but it didnt turn back on. The shift up arrow was blinking when ignition in ON position, but I figured the tranny was just locked so I didnt mess with it. I disconnected the battery at that point, replaced the electric cooling fan and hoped for the best.

The car exhibits same problem. It cranks but doesnt turn on. First thing i thought was fuses, so I checked them all1-36 or however many there are under the hood, all good.
I listened for the fuel pump to prime up, it does.
I pulled the ignition wire from the distributor cap and put it next to the negative post on the battery, GF cranked car, no spark. Now what????

I dont want to start guessing, so I'm looking for advice. What would cause the ignition coil to stop making spark? I thought maybe I messed with the shift linkage at the tranny so I removed the airbox to take a closer look. it looks ok and shifted without any play. I'm out of ideas other than replacing coil so I hope someone can steer me in the right direction.

Thanks for your help!

btw, the other site members havent been able to help me pinpoint the problem. I'm hoping ya'll can help me fix this week old problem. another work week using the gas guzzler doesnt sound fun to my wallet...

Old 05-26-2008, 05:04 PM
Administrator
Received 40 Likes on 38 Posts
Default RE: No Spark After Replacing Cooling Fan, Wtf?

Check the gray fuel injection relay above the fan.

Old 05-27-2008, 02:09 PM

ORIGINAL: tech

Check the gray fuel injection relay above the fan.
how do I check it? ive unclipped it several times. if it didnt work, would that also kill spark at the ignition coil?

Old 05-27-2008, 06:52 PM
Administrator

Did any of the wires come out of the relay?
They are known to do that.

Cam sensor as well will cut spark.

Old 05-27-2008, 09:06 PM

I wouldn't replace the coil yet, I did that in haste on a dodgevehicle, which did not correct the problem, it turned out to be the crank position sensor. Then I had the same problem on my 96 850 turbo, no spark, it turned out to be the cam position sensor. If the ECU dosen't know where the cams or crank is it won't send power to the ignition system.

Old 05-27-2008, 09:17 PM

well, it started today after dinner. here is what i did in exact order:

1. plugged battery negative cable and cranked, nogo.
2. with key in ON position, all lights on, shift up arrow light, blinking. econ shift mode led, blinking.
3. removed relays from fan shroud and unplugged, replugged, nogo.
4. out of aggravation, left car in park and rocked it, back and forth for about 30 seconds, nogo.
5. put in neutral, nogo.
6. GF asks if I would try jumper cables since battery was dying at this point; remember the gas guzzler works(94 Lincoln Towncar)
7. behold, shift light is SOLID in ON position, cranking almost produces a startup.
8. Let battery charge a bit before trying again, almost had it.
9. GF asks to be patient, and decides to try, it turns on!!!
10. I get under hood and manually rev so it doesn't die.
11. made quick two mile test run, works.
12. Made about 6 mile round trip to grocery store, while GF drove the boat. the 850 made it out there. sat for about 45 minutes and turned right on when we were done shopping.

Guess what she told me...she prayed the car would work cause driving the LTC was killing us and isn't exactly in the best of drivability. I have to give her credit cause I was at my wits end. Hope someone can take something out of this. When we got back home, I went ahead and put the relays back in the shroud, as they should be(just like before) but this time, the car turned back on after I was done.

Oh yeh, the cooling fan that I replaced, which started this fiasco, works perfectly!

Old 05-28-2008, 06:01 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hey now,

I glad you got the problem solved [sm=smiley20.gif].

I, to,am alsohaving a cooling fan issue in that my won't even come on [sm=smiley24.gif].

I have checked the relay and have put a probe to the lines and the fan does turn on (when probed) but it won't come on when it is supposed to (even with the A/C on)and when in stop and go traffic the car will begin to over heat [].

I have recently had to replace the engine due to a water pump bearing failure which caused major damage and everything was fine but now there is this little problem.

I have changed the thermostat and the temp sensor but still have no running fan.

Scratchig my head as to what might be causing this.

Any idea's?

[sm=icon_cheers.gif]

Old 05-28-2008, 07:33 AM

I am sooo happy cause the car started up this morning as if it never gave me any problems...bittersweet victory after having it sit for two weeks [:@]

You may want to swap fan relays. I was lucky with my initial problem in that the fan motor seized and SMOKED while I was idling in a parking lot, getting ready to take off. I was able to see the smoke still coming out when I opened the hood so the problem was easily identifiable. Good Luck!

Old 05-29-2008, 12:24 PM

tech, on a whim, i popped the hood during lunch to verify everything is ok, even though the car is up and running ang guess what? The middle connector(smallest of the three with two wires) had one wire pulled completely out and was just hanging around. Not sure what that relay does since AC seemed to work just fine.

So, I pulled the wireloom some more since there was slack and painstakingly pushed it back into its plug/clip and pushed it back into its place. Stayed after a few tries but i wonder, where can i find a replacement plug? junk yard? i'd bet those are just as bad after all these years...other than that, everything is tiptop!!!!

Old 05-29-2008, 06:20 PM
Administrator

Cool on finding that. That was a wire for the cooling fan.
You can buy replacment wires from the Dealer but you will have to either solder or butt connect them in then install in the plug.
It is easy to replace them.

Old 05-29-2008, 07:29 PM

ORIGINAL: Systek

well, it started today after dinner. here is what i did in exact order:

1. plugged battery negative cable and cranked, nogo.
2. with key in ON position, all lights on, shift up arrow light, blinking. econ shift mode led, blinking.
3. removed relays from fan shroud and unplugged, replugged, nogo.
4. out of aggravation, left car in park and rocked it, back and forth for about 30 seconds, nogo.
5. put in neutral, nogo.
6. GF asks if I would try jumper cables since battery was dying at this point; remember the gas guzzler works(94 Lincoln Towncar)
7. behold, shift light is SOLID in ON position, cranking almost produces a startup.
8. Let battery charge a bit before trying again, almost had it.
9. GF asks to be patient, and decides to try, it turns on!!!
10. I get under hood and manually rev so it doesn't die.
11. made quick two mile test run, works.
12. Made about 6 mile round trip to grocery store, while GF drove the boat. the 850 made it out there. sat for about 45 minutes and turned right on when we were done shopping.

Guess what she told me...she prayed the car would work cause driving the LTC was killing us and isn't exactly in the best of drivability. I have to give her credit cause I was at my wits end. Hope someone can take something out of this. When we got back home, I went ahead and put the relays back in the shroud, as they should be(just like before) but this time, the car turned back on after I was done.

Oh yeh, the cooling fan that I replaced, which started this fiasco, works perfectly!
This sympton seems to be more common than I first thought.

Personally, I don't think the vehicle not starting was anything to do with the fan not working, purely co-incedental as a lot of people have been stumped when their 850 refused to start but, when they kept grinding away on the startermotor, their vehicle eventually fired.

When this happened to me it took something like 80 odd seconds for the T5 to fire. There are reasons why this annoying problem occurs but they have been well and properly dealt with in other threads so I wont use up space repeating them here.

I'm glad you got her going again - it's great to see these delightful vehicles where they were intended to be i.e. on the road - not off the road.

Old 05-29-2008, 08:29 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hey now.

For reference .

[sm=icon_cheers.gif]

[IMG]local://upfiles/14053/977F899C50D54CA48FD95A0B828FA71E.jpg[/IMG]

Old 05-29-2008, 08:38 PM
Administrator

Also I will try to remember tomorrow to get the part# of the wires I was talking about this way you can go to the Dealer and just ask for the Part# and they can get it.

Old 05-29-2008, 10:07 PM

ORIGINAL: tech

Cool on finding that. That was a wire for the cooling fan.
You can buy replacment wires from the Dealer but you will have to either solder or butt connect them in then install in the plug.
It is easy to replace them.
two wires + soldering iron + heat shrink tubing = job well done!

Old 05-30-2008, 07:23 PM
Administrator

The part # for the wires is!!!!!
3523813 you will need 2 of them.