Volvo 850 Made from 1993 to 1997, this Volvo line was available in both a wagon and a sedan, both with were graced with several trim levels.

non-turbo --> turbo?

Search this Thread

Old 11-21-2005, 07:18 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default non-turbo --> turbo?

hrm...

ive been pondering it since the day i brought it home, so figured id ask you guys/gals...

what would it entail to switch my 96 850 GLT wagon non-turbo, to a turbo?

is it as simple as just adding the turbo, with an install kit, or is a new intake, ecu, etc required to run properly ( and quickly ;D )

example, lets say i come across another 850 glt, but with a turbo engine...would it be worth it to just pluck the turbo, or go for the whole engine (if engine is any good)

or i come across an 850R, same thing, can i just swipe the parts i want, or the whole engine?

maybe purchase a used turbo (like a scrap / junk yard), then buy new or refurb'd intake?

Old 11-21-2005, 09:41 PM
Administrator
Received 40 Likes on 38 Posts
Default RE: non-turbo --> turbo?

You would nee the engine with the harness, Computer,trans,trans computer, exhaust, and some other minor things.

Old 11-22-2005, 02:02 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It is NOT a cost-effective project. It would be better to fix the neglected things with your '96 GLT Wagon, sell it, and purchase a nice clean 850 Turbo Wagon.

You have a couple of options. You have a VIN 55 2.4L engine. Starting in '97, the VIN 56 low-pressure turbo'ed 2.4L engine was introduced in the GLT. So, you have the same 2.4L engine and the newer GLT's. Your VIN 55 engine has 10.5:1 compression. The VIN 56 has 9.0:1 compression. Different Cylinder Head and CAM.

Other basic differences between normally aspirated and turbo-ed engines.
Turbo-ed engine has nitrate hardened crank. Turbo-ed engine has stronger pistons. Most Turbo-ed engines have oil squirters to cool the bottom of pistons. Turbo-ed engines have knock sensor where ECU or Ignitor Module retards timing. Turbo-ed engines have boost compensating fuel pressure regulator. Turbo-ed engines have ECU or vacuum advance that retards timing under boost conditions.

You would have to swap the whole engine including intake and exhaust manifolds.
You would have to swap ECU, control wiring harness, and sensors.
You would have to install an intercooler and corresponding pipes.
You would have to upgrade fuel pump.

Outside of the Volvo world, people have been swapping in turbo-ed versions of their normally aspirated engine for many years. You just have to pay very close attention to the details of ECU/control wiring harness and dash gauge sensors.

Your next concern would be in matching up the transmission. To make the project cost-effective, you need to do something that wasn't available from the factory.

For example,

Purchase '95 thru '96 GLT with 5-speed transmission. Pull the VIN 55 engine and replace with VIN 56 engine from '97 GLT. For extra credit, pull the VIN 55 engine and replace with VIN 57 2.3L engine from '95-'97 850-Turbo.

Now, you have a very rare combination -- a turbo'ed engine with manual transmission.

Old 11-22-2005, 06:03 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

[&o] holy crap.....

just to make sure im understanding this >.<

options:
1) buy a car with turbo
2) drop some serious cash / labor / time, and replace everything in the drive/intake/exhaust/electrical/cooling with proper parts, to basically, re-build the car, into a different car, with the same body, int, suspension...

right?

if so, then its a definate no go. if im gonna put that much time and effort into a project that big, might as well go all out and do some customizing with the interior / body. i need to drive the car, not work on it >.<

thank you very very much for you help, very informative

Old 11-23-2005, 01:16 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

1) buy a car with turbo
The donor car with...
engine, including distributor, intake manifold, throttle body, fuel pressure regulator, exhaust manifold, and turbo
ECU, control wiring harness, and sensors
Ignitor Module and knock sensor
Intercooler and i/c pipeing

can be found for a good price at a salvage yard.