Volvo 850 Made from 1993 to 1997, this Volvo line was available in both a wagon and a sedan, both with were graced with several trim levels.

NOOB here... 850 Wagon Boot lib question - + more

Old 07-31-2007, 09:42 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default NOOB here... 850 Wagon Boot lib question - + more

Hi Guys,

Great Forum you guys have here...

I've just become a new owner of a 1993 850 GLE wagon. It took me about 5 weeks to pick this baby out. I looked at 1995 850 SE and an 1996 V70. and some others- All the cars I looked at were wagons and there was one common fault with all of them.
THE BOOT LID WOULD NOT STAY UP.
This was the cheapest out of the bunch and in the best condition...also was the oldest too...hence the price difference.
Is this a common fault or was I just unlucky? and also how easy is it to fix this problem? Is it a matter of re-gassing?

My Other question is on the Aircon... What are the two temperature ***** for? and no matter if I have both set to heat, the middles passanger vent still blows cold air. I thought this was weird...could be a Swedish thing. Like having the heater in house on but keeping a window open blowing in -4C air... (sorry don;t know what that is Feirenhight) (spelling too *grin*)

Last question....what kind of hat should I buy.....hehehe
Cheers
John

Old 08-01-2007, 02:33 AM
JPN
Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts
Default RE: NOOB here... 850 Wagon Boot lib question - + more

Greetings mate,

Welcome to the forum, I hope you find it useful & enjoyable.

I'm not sure as to what the "Boot Lid" is, may I ask you to describe it in a different way? (Or someone else in the forum could also explain to me).

As to the A/C, did you mean the temp setting dials on the climate control panel? If so, there are just independent temp settings for driver & passenger.

Also, as to the cold air coming out the centre vents is probably due to the position of "outside air direct" tab; there is a tab to the left of the centre vents, and if the tab is set for "outside air", the vents keep supplying outside air regardless of the temp setting on your heater. If you have the owner's manual, it should have a description on it.

I wonder how it feels to be winter in August. I would probably love it, as I'm vulnerable to heat[:@].

>Last question....what kind of hat should I buy

May I suggest a dealer's accessory dept (if there's such a thing) and get one with a logo says "Volvo.for Life".

If my reply did not answer your questions, please wait until other members jump in.

Cheers,

JPN

Old 08-01-2007, 07:12 AM

Sounds to me like the "boot lid" as you describe it (in the states we call that the rear hatch), the supports are worn out. They are basically two shock absorbers, one on either side of the boot, that are very easy to replace. They aren't axactly "cheap" to buy, but are well worth it if you don't like the boot to hit you on the head. I just replaced them on my '95 850 wagon (along with the boot trim panel repair), and it couldn't have taken me longer that 15 minutes to replace them both. You have to remove the rear corner trim panels. They are VERY easy to remove, if I recall, they just have one torx screw in teh top, otherwise they are just secured by pop clips. BE CAREFUL remove them as the plastic is going to be rather brittle and could crack easilly.

Old 08-01-2007, 08:57 AM
JPN

Xjflexer,

Thanks for the follow up.

>They aren't exactly "cheap" to buy, but are well worth it if you don't like the boot to hit you on the head.
.....[:@]

>BE CAREFUL remove them as the plastic is going to be rather brittle and could crack easily.
This is absolutely true, be careful on the plastic "claw-end". If too much force is applied, it WILL break.

Good luck,

JPN

Old 08-01-2007, 10:33 AM
Super Moderator
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Here is a link to getthe shocks that hold the "boot lid" at fcpgroton.

http://www.fcpgroton.com/volvo850bodymechanical.htm

Pretty sure I got the aftermarket ones for $25.00 each.

Old 08-01-2007, 06:05 PM

Great stuff....
Thanks for the info... Yep the Boot lid is therear hatch. and also thanks for the link JimKW. I can see the part I need. The dealer I bought the car from will be fixing the fault, so I think that they are actually planning to re gass these shocks... But I can give them more info on what to do now.... since down here in Australia Volvo's aren't all that common and mechanic's seem not to like working on them plus part are costly... I heard to replace these is $500 Aussie.... which is prolly $25 US.

JPN... Winter here at the mo is quite warm.... we average about 18C (64F) You'd probably love it...Tanks also for clarifying the Aircon stuff too..

Cheers
John

Old 08-02-2007, 03:19 AM
JPN

Hello mate,

I'm glad the problems seem to be taken care of.

Someday I'd love to visit Australia, it must be beautiful there.

Cheers,

JPN