Volvo 850 Made from 1993 to 1997, this Volvo line was available in both a wagon and a sedan, both with were graced with several trim levels.

not another..... AC RE-charge thread

Search this Thread

Old 07-19-2009, 01:40 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Got it working sorta

Ok, by disconnecting the 3 prong switch (high sensor) I got the compressor to cycle every 2 seconds, while this was happening I took a psi reading and found on 8 psi in system. I recharged with 1 1/2 cans and took the system up to 32 psi. I then let it run for another 2 minutes and shut car off.

I restarted with the 3 prong connected and nothing, no cycling, then disconnected and it cycles continuously. When I turn the A/C off, using the dashboard switch like normal, the compressor stops correctly, turn the switch on and compressor works continuously again. It appears the 3 prong disconnected affects the automatic cycling of the compressor/fan.

Also since I refilled, it triggered the compressor to run constantly and not just 2 second intervals anymore.

Bottom line - with the 3 prong connected / 2 prong connected, nothing. Disconnect 3 prong and it works constant.

How can I get it to work automatic like original?

Old 07-20-2009, 06:39 PM
Administrator
Received 40 Likes on 38 Posts

The 3 prong switch might be bad causing it to stay off.

Old 08-15-2009, 07:35 PM

Slight bump of this thread but it did give me some idea's on how to fix my annoying A/C. Got readings of 100 Psi and no idea what was going on (first time doing a recharge). Great tips and idea's, now silly question for you all.

There is mentioning of adding "Shims" to the "clutch" now I'm gonna bypass my newb stupidity (haha) by not saying "but I have a automatic?!" so when you mention the Clutch.. where is this? Any photo's to help my hands find the right place? Also idea's on where to find propper shims for this, and tools needed to make this happen? The compressor was cycling for a few seconds and well I think this maybe the trick to fix it!

Old 08-15-2009, 07:46 PM

this is a little off topic, but I didnt want to start a new thread. Ive just noticed on my dash that my AC and recirculate lights flash for about 10 sec's when I start my car....they are the little red dots next to the switches...Ive never noticed them do that in the past....is this an indication of a problem?

Old 08-17-2009, 10:41 AM

Flashing of those indicators means that there are fault codes stored in your computer related to Aircon system. Those faults could be improtant and could be few which doesnt effect the functionality of AC system. You can pull the codes your self if your car is 94-95 and has a DTC under the hood.

Old 08-17-2009, 07:46 PM

Alrighty then, thanks harry for the heads up. I grabbed my magical Haynes book and checked for codes....got 1-2-6 (Passengers side interior temp sensor open circuit or shorted to 12 volts)...now comes the funny part. Ive cleared many codes off the onboard boxes (A&B) but this time the damn code wont clear...It looks like it clears, you know, get code twice then hold button for 5 secs...light comes on solid....hold for another 5 sec and it goes out and codes are suppose to be gone...but mine wont...now the only thing I can think of is that in order to read the codes or delete them is to have the key in the ON position. Could it be possible that the code is coming back right away as the key is in the ON position....just a thoutght...oh before I forget, can anyone help me of where to solve this code. I know where the temp sensor is (behind the handle) but I could not seem to find one on FCP....dealer item only maybe?

Old 08-18-2009, 08:21 AM

I have heard people had luck by just cleaning those sensors.....dont know the details.
You are correct about the code just returning right away after clearing it because the fault condition still exists. Wonder if you are doing this with your A/C control **** at 'AUT' position. If Yes, then try clearing the codes at 'O' (off) position - Just incase, otherwise discard this suggestion :P

Last edited by bestharry; 08-18-2009 at 08:24 AM.
Old 08-18-2009, 03:43 PM

Im still getting the code in either of or on position, im off to the store for a can of good old air....