Volvo 850 Made from 1993 to 1997, this Volvo line was available in both a wagon and a sedan, both with were graced with several trim levels.

Now the trannys going

Search this Thread

Old 05-20-2010, 05:08 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Now the trannys going

I don't know if any of you guys have been following my tribulations with first, last and only Volvo. I had a little less than 102k when I bought it in January since then I replaced 02 sensors, rear main seal ($1000) the catalytic converter, heater blower motor, pvc oil seperator, intake manifold gasket, all the vacume lines, water pump, the thermostat (overheated on the freeway and had to be towed home, pnp switch, front brake rotors, power seat back actuator motor, stabilizer bar links and now the tranny is going out. I am hoping the check engine light bulb will burn out because I am so sick of seeing it glow. I put tape over it. I was tempted to keep driving after it overheated so it would blow the head gasket and I would be done with it once and for all.

Fortunately LUCAS STOP SLIP (two bottles) seemed to save the day. I refuse to spend another dime on this car. I keep thinking that I have turned the corner on the car and after I just fix one more thing it will be good for a long while like my two ninties vintage BMWs 1992 525i and 1997 328i but I have to face reality the later vintage Volvos (post 80s) as just plain ****ty cars. Nice to look at and fun to drive (when you can) but the quality is horrible for the price you have to pay.

I knew a guy who worked at a car rental agency that supplies loaner cars for a local Volvo dealer ( The dealers wouldn't even give them a Volvo as a loaner; probably didn't want to have to pay to have it towed back) He said it's amazing how many of his customers scream and swear they will never get another Volvo. My wife is a nurse and one of coworkers just happily sold her Volvo because the repairs were killing her.

Up here in Minnesota, we have a lot of liberals and their car of chioce was the Volvo (college professors and theater types as if they ever knew anything about cars anyway) but guess what? They don't drive Volvos anymore they drive hybrids like the Prius. In the most Scandinavin State (MN) in the country there are only two Volvo dealers. Every time I go to the parts window, usually twice weekly, it's like a ghost town the service guys talk to each other if there not hiding in the parts room to avoid irrate customers. The mechanics are standing around doing nothing because no one in their right mind would pay their $100 an hour rate.

I belong to the BMW Car Club and the Camaro Car Club those forums are about upgrades, performance and car shows these Volvo forums are about desperate people trying to keep these wrecks running.

This will be my last post to this forum. You guys won't like it at first but the Truth will Set You Free. There are so many other wonderfull cars out there that you can enjoy. You may not want to admit it but deep down in your tool box you know that I am right.

Last edited by bostongrun; 05-20-2010 at 05:20 PM. Reason: missed word
Old 05-20-2010, 08:07 PM

Sounds like the car has been neglected. You want to know what will break next - the timing belt! I would bet money that it hasn't been changed in a long time. Too bad you've had such a bad experience with it.

Old 05-20-2010, 11:35 PM

Purely subjective. Doing your own work helps as well, be interested in retrieving your actual mileage. There must have been a lot of rape happening for RMS failure at 102k, or you got the hose.

Old 05-22-2010, 12:13 AM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by bostongrun
I don't know if any of you guys have been following my tribulations with first, last and only Volvo. I had a little less than 102k when I bought it in January since then I replaced 02 sensors, rear main seal ($1000) the catalytic converter, heater blower motor, pvc oil seperator, intake manifold gasket, all the vacume lines, water pump, the thermostat (overheated on the freeway and had to be towed home, pnp switch, front brake rotors, power seat back actuator motor, stabilizer bar links and now the tranny is going out. I am hoping the check engine light bulb will burn out because I am so sick of seeing it glow. I put tape over it. I was tempted to keep driving after it overheated so it would blow the head gasket and I would be done with it once and for all.

Fortunately LUCAS STOP SLIP (two bottles) seemed to save the day. I refuse to spend another dime on this car. I keep thinking that I have turned the corner on the car and after I just fix one more thing it will be good for a long while like my two ninties vintage BMWs 1992 525i and 1997 328i but I have to face reality the later vintage Volvos (post 80s) as just plain ****ty cars. Nice to look at and fun to drive (when you can) but the quality is horrible for the price you have to pay.

I knew a guy who worked at a car rental agency that supplies loaner cars for a local Volvo dealer ( The dealers wouldn't even give them a Volvo as a loaner; probably didn't want to have to pay to have it towed back) He said it's amazing how many of his customers scream and swear they will never get another Volvo. My wife is a nurse and one of coworkers just happily sold her Volvo because the repairs were killing her.

I belong to the BMW Car Club and the Camaro Car Club those forums are about upgrades, performance and car shows these Volvo forums are about desperate people trying to keep these wrecks running.

This will be my last post to this forum. You guys won't like it at first but the Truth will Set You Free. There are so many other wonderfull cars out there that you can enjoy. You may not want to admit it but deep down in your tool box you know that I am right.
Well well, had enough have you? Can't say I blame you; sounds like your car was a real lemon/turd. Only thing i can figure is that it was really abused before you purchased it. So did you or a tech ck it out before you bought a used car w/over 100K mls on the clock? Even if you did, buying any used car with that mileage is a gamble; don't care what the marquee is.

Funny you mentioned the '92 BMW 525 as I used to work at a Bimmer dealer; BMW indy shop before that. Always thought the 525 to kind of a slug myself. Bimmers do handle well, but typically under powered stock.

The part i highlited above; have to take exception to; IMO the 850 ('94-'97) and '98 MY S70 were the best cars volvo ever built. The 70/80s volvos are quite low-tech and reliable, but so are tractors.

The models i mentioned are great cars, if they're maintained. So if you know cars and can work on them yourself, then they're good; if you're a nurse and have to pay a tech to do every little thing, then i would steer away from them. But again, the same advice goes for high mileage BMWs or anything else out there.

So take it easy and good luck, and BTW, you're welcome for all the good free advice you got here...