Volvo 850 Made from 1993 to 1997, this Volvo line was available in both a wagon and a sedan, both with were graced with several trim levels.

octane booster?

Search this Thread

Old 03-16-2012, 11:43 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default octane booster?

i did an oil change and then went and filled my tank up to about 3/4 full.... threw some of the 3x the octane lucas octane booster the red bottle... now i have a rough idle and can smell gas but cant figure out where its coming from... i used 91 at the pump. anyone ever have problems with octane booster? can to much octane cause fouled plugs or fuel pump damage?

Old 03-17-2012, 01:11 AM
Administrator
Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by volvoguy23
i did an oil change and then went and filled my tank up to about 3/4 full.... threw some of the 3x the octane lucas octane booster the red bottle... now i have a rough idle and can smell gas but cant figure out where its coming from... i used 91 at the pump. anyone ever have problems with octane booster? can to much octane cause fouled plugs or fuel pump damage?
Octane booster, one bottle per tank shouldn't do any harm only benefit.

Gas smell shouldn't be caused by adding the booster.

Higher octane will not cause fouled plugs or fuel pump damage. The pump has no idea what octane you're running and will work the same with crappy gas as it will with premium.

Old 03-17-2012, 05:58 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My first question is, why would you pour a $8 octane booster in your tank when you are using premium gas? As octane relates to combustion. The higher the octane the slower the fuel burn. I noticed the bottle says 3x higher than it's competitors. Does it give a calculation of how much octane increase is actually achieved? I can't speak to why you are smelling fuel. But, certain cars do operate ideally, with the amount of octane a fuel contains. It all comes down to a cars timing, and either being able to adjust to the rate @ which the fuel is burnt. (in other words if it can advance or retard) to compensate. Keeping this in mind, it is not uncommon for octane boosters to change the way in which a car will idle, or even perform. Now depending on where you live, octane ratings for gasoline vary. Some states sell premium gas with a 94 octane rating, where others top out at 91. If you have ever been to Montana or Wyoming and such. Their octane ratings can start as low as 85.5. (My guess on that is the gas is used primarily for farm equipment and such. As to hurting anything. I'm on par with Kissthefrog. It wont do any damage. But the octane rating you currently have, may be hindering the performance of your car. I have only used this type of product once. Years ago, I stopped for gas in the middle of nowhere, and after filling up,my car was driving real crappy. I stopped at the next exit,put in a booster and it went back to normal. My guess is that they were selling ****ty gas. Other than that, I see no reason what so ever to use this type of product. One of the main reason Turbos require higher octane fuel is because lower octane fuel will ignite/burn wicked quick. Causing knock amongst other things. So in closing, my advice is drive the **** out of it, and then refill with just premium gas. If however, your car is idling so crappy you cant take it. Put a couple of gallons of 87 or 89 in it, to try and drop the overall rating currently in the tank. Just my opinion, so take it with a grain of salt.