Volvo 850 Made from 1993 to 1997, this Volvo line was available in both a wagon and a sedan, both with were graced with several trim levels.

Oil in Fresh Air ducts and intercooler

Search this Thread

Old 01-21-2013, 09:58 PM
Received 41 Likes on 40 Posts
Default Oil in Fresh Air ducts and intercooler

I am total newby, have a 94 850 turbo. The elbow that mounts right at the throttle body burst, and this has gotten oil all over everything. The inside of the fresh air piping was oily. I don't know if this came from the turbo or the PCV. Is it normal? Or maybe I should say how much is normal?

Old 01-22-2013, 02:52 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It is most likely oily because of the PCV. It is not impossible for it to be from the turbo though, but because of the PCV design on these cars it does get a bit messy. If your comfortable with mechanics it wouldn't hurt to pull the fresh air tube off the turbo and squeeze a hand down their to feel for shaft play.

This kind of shows you how to check. I picked this video because the turbo placement is somewhat similar. That much shaft play isn't necessarily the worst I've seen, but if yours moves that much id start shopping around some junk yards.

If you do attempt this, it is a pretty strait forward removal for the intake tube, but read up on it. The PCV is connected to this hose and if the lines on it are stock they are extremely brittle.

Old 01-23-2013, 08:02 AM

Well, the turbo seemed pretty tight. Maybe it's okay. There is definitely oil coming through the PCV line, and I did not break it (thanks for the tip).

I have surmised from looking at car parts that these cars don't have a PCV valve per se that you can replace. Is the electrical valve built into the air intake hose non-removable? It looks like volvo still sells that hose with the valve built in.

Old 01-23-2013, 09:18 AM
Super Moderator
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The valve can be removed and cleaned. But, if you are getting oil in your system its not plugged. All the block venting goes into the intake before the turbo. Any oil...and there will be...is then compressed and blown through the pipes and intercooler and throttle body...everything will get some. Would not panic, its normal. What you should be doing is a compression check to see if your rings are ok and not allowing excessive blow by.

The PCV box is under the intake manifold. It is highly recommended you replace it if you dont know the history of the car.

Old 01-23-2013, 04:13 PM

Thanks, I was thinking that might be a good thing to get a look at.

I am also kind worried about the oil drain on the bottom of the turbo. I would love to give that thing a good cleaning. It looks like it would not come out with the turbo in place, though. Is that true?

I have the car on my lift, so some things that are almost impossible are not too bad to do.

Old 01-23-2013, 05:39 PM
Super Moderator
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It comes off with the turbo in place. You should buy a new seal for the bottom and gasket at the top. The bottom seal is notorious for leaking.