Volvo 850 Made from 1993 to 1997, this Volvo line was available in both a wagon and a sedan, both with were graced with several trim levels.

oil leak

Search this Thread

Old 11-11-2009, 03:04 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default oil leak

I have two issues the first one is I have a large leak comming from the passenger side of the engine. The leak is behind the timing belt cover, there is a plastic piece by the tentioner that is wet with oil. It is toward the bottom, What is down there that could be leaking. I will attach a pic.
Second the vehicle is smoking very bad, looks like white smoke, so I am guessing my turbo is going bad, because it is leaking a few drops of oil also.
Any help appreciated.

Attached Thumbnails oil leak-p1090235.jpg  
Old 11-11-2009, 05:19 PM
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by ROBLU540
I have two issues the first one is I have a large leak comming from the passenger side of the engine. The leak is behind the timing belt cover, there is a plastic piece by the tentioner that is wet with oil. It is toward the bottom, What is down there that could be leaking. I will attach a pic.
Second the vehicle is smoking very bad, looks like white smoke, so I am guessing my turbo is going bad, because it is leaking a few drops of oil also.
Any help appreciated.
That oil leak looks like the front oil pan bolts. The 3 bolts right at that edge are supposed to have thread sealer on them, but many don't from the factory. Volvo has a TSB out on that problem. The way to fix it is this: buy some thread sealer at a parts store, remove one of the bolts, clean it thoroughly, coat it with sealer, reinstall, torquing it to spec. Repeat with the other 2. Only remove and replace one bolt at a time, to prevent breaking the oil pan seal.

As for the white smoke, there's lots of things that can cause that. A few drops of oil from a turbo is normal... a lot of oil isn't. The first place I'd check is the PCV system. Start your engine while it's cold, then remove the dipstick. Do you see clouds of smoke coming from it? if yes, you likely need a PCV system replacement, details can be found with a search of the forum. Another way to check this is by putting a balloon over the dipstick tube, and seeing if it inflates. If it does, there's pressure building up in the engine, which indicates a plugged PCV system.

Old 11-11-2009, 05:32 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I think I have that same leak on the motor I have for my wagon, except it's not all the way behind the timing belt cover, it's like inside of it.

Old 09-07-2010, 11:22 AM

i have a Volvo 850 glt with the same problem i have crank case pressure instead of vacuum and oil is on the passenger side of the chassis on the CV boot and all over the passenger side of the car i know my PVC system needs to be replaced but anything else anyone can guess

Old 09-07-2010, 11:43 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

if it's inside the timing cover, it's probably the front crank seal. Not hard to do, if you happen to be doing a timing belt at the same time. And if you're gonna replace the front crank seal, you may as well do the timing belt anyway, because you're gonna have to remove it to get to that seal.

Old 08-23-2011, 05:42 PM

i have a question as anyone made a supercharger for the volvo 850 or have anyone bolted one on

Old 08-23-2011, 11:35 PM

Never heard of anyone adding a supercharger, just increasing the size of the turbos. It'd be interesting if it could even be done. I'd think you'd have to reprogram the ECU (all by yourself) and change a bunch of other stuff.

A lot of people ask if they can add a turbo to their NA, but it's cheaper and easier to just buy a turbo's version from the factory. I can only think that the supercharger idea only cranks up the headaches.