Volvo 850 Made from 1993 to 1997, this Volvo line was available in both a wagon and a sedan, both with were graced with several trim levels.

oil leak what is this part? (fixed thank you)

Search this Thread

Old 08-23-2007, 09:36 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default oil leak what is this part? (fixed thank you)

HI, My name is AJ from Vermont,
Can someone tell me what is this part and how easy is it to replace?
It leaks where someonwe tried to put some blue stuff. Thank you

Old 08-23-2007, 11:06 AM
JPN
Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts
Default RE: oil leak what is this part?

Hello AJ,

Greetings from a semi-Vermonter; I had lived there for 5.5 years and had graduated from Green Mountain College
in Poultney, in 1997. I have a number of friends scattered all over the state, as well as many parts of
New England region. I consider Vermont as my homeland but currently I'm stuck in Japan.

Anyway, that tube is turbo oil return line, and the oil is leaking at the bottom of the return line
due to faulty seal ring (rubber ring).

Replacement is very easy, butyou have to access it from the bottom of the engine and if you don't have a
floor jack & jackstands, have it serviced at a shop. You can get OEM parts at:

http://www.fcpgroton.com/CSV70/csv70other.htm

Upper (turbo) connection gasket: $1.25
Seal ring: $1.30
+ shipping.

I would also put some oil-resistant liquid gasket on & around the seal ring.
Refer to the following:
http://volvospeed.com/Repair/turborepairline.php

If you live in Burlington area, I would go to the dealer, but if you're not too far
from Rutland, I highly recommend Jim's Imported Car Clinic:

80 Belden Road-Unit #11
East Creek Centre, Rutland, VT 05701
(802)-747-3407

I have a question for you. How do you embed a photo image right in the
middle of the message area? I always wondered.

JPN

Old 08-23-2007, 11:58 PM

HI JPN,
Thanks for your reply, I really appreciate you taking the time.
For the pic, since I have a website I ftp'd the picture on my website and linked to it . If you click on add image, they ask for a link that's were I put the image location, in this case I have entered" http://heritagehandyman.com/images/leaking.jpg, there is other ways to do it by clicking on the bottom "click here to upload!" but you image has to be of small size or it will tell you "file too large", I hope this answer your question. By the way I live next town to Randolph Thanks for the info.

AJ

Old 08-24-2007, 12:59 AM

ORIGINAL: JPN

I have a question for you. How do you embed a photo image right in the
middle of the message area? I always wondered.

JPN
You need to get your image hosted at some website such as photobucket.com or imageshack.us.

You need to take that link, and then copy and paste it into the prompt provided when you click the image button in the reply area. This site is kind of weird since the regular IMG tags don't work. I think you need to use this forum's process.

Old 08-24-2007, 11:29 AM
JPN

Hi Megatrack & Jimmy,

Thank you for your input, very much appreciated.

Megatrack, if you live in Randolph, I believe it's worth the drive to visit Jim's shop (40 minutes of drive one way I believe?).
I've seen a countless number of ASE technicians, and I can say that Jim's definitely one of the very best techs, probably
as good as Moderator Tech (the top-dog of the forum).

Someday when you need to have your 850 serviced, call & tell Jim that you've had a referral from Kanji Kotaki from Japan.
Jim'll take care of your 850.

P.S: I miss Vermont very much, as well as all my friends there.

JPN

Old 08-25-2007, 10:03 AM

HI,
will oil leaks all over when I remove the pipe?
Before I remove that part should I drain the oilfrom the engine?

Thanks

Old 08-25-2007, 10:53 AM
Super Moderator
Received 34 Likes on 34 Posts

First off, Welcome to the forum. Second, JPN is right on the money, it is the turbo oil line and it is not too hard to replace. If it was me, since I am under the car anyway to do the repair, I would drain the oil and change it so I had fresh oil in the car after the repair.

Good luck

Glenn

Old 08-25-2007, 03:34 PM

I had the same problem. Turbo return line. Replaced it twice and the leak would not go away. Turned out to be the main oil seal inside the engine which was tracking oil in the same area. Cost about $800 to fix two years ago. But try the cheap oil seal first.

Old 08-25-2007, 05:16 PM

HI,I received my parts this morning.Changed the o ring and the gasket, cleaned the undercarriage andit fixed that problem. Thank you sooooo much guys.
I have anothervery small oil leak (see attached pic)Can anyone give me some info on this one I would appreciate.Thanks AJ

Old 08-25-2007, 06:44 PM
JPN

Hi AJ,

Glad the leak from the turbo oil return is gone now.

The next one is the oil cooler line, running between the right of the crank pulley and the oil cooler.
This is another location noted for leak after years, but usually it leaks from the seam between the hose & metal tube.

I replaced mine with genuine Volvo hose, which was hefty $90. When I replaced the hose, I also replaced the seal ring
& O-ring (there are 2 rubber rings inside the oil cooler connection), and put on a stainless-steel, screw-to-tighten generic
clampbought at a local ACE Hardware (put it over the factory clamp).

Note, that disconnecting the crank pulley side requires a bit of skill and I also replaced the seal ring & put on plenty of
Permatex's "Most Oil Resistant" black liquid gasket, and let it sit for 24 hours before I put oil in. The space is so limited
at the crank pulley side, and the two oil cooler lines are held by a metal plate and one Torx screw. This Torx screw can
be extremely tight, and if stripped, it would be a nightmare to get it off. These parts (the metal plate & Torx screw) are
only available at the dealer, as far as I know.
They do not show on FCP Groton's parts illustration, but do on dealer's illustration.

If the leak is minor, I would leave it and keep checking the oil level once/week or so. However, if it bothers you so much
that you want to attack it, I'll give you an instruction, as well as parts & tools you need. Or, since the hose is shot, clean
it, locate the exactspot there the leak is, andcover the area with JB weld or epoxy to see if it stopsor slows the leak.
If you take this route, do not drive the car for 24 hours.

Be sure NOT TO let the oil level drop below minimum; even though Volvo engines are noted for being robust and go for
200,000 or even 300,000 miles without major repair/overhaul, they are extremely sensitive to the quality & proper level
of engine oil, and if neglected, they can burn in no time.

http://www.fcpgroton.com/volvo850cooling.htm

I hope this helps.

JPN

[IMG]local://upfiles/6892/1576AE290E7B4EB2AF45EDD575D43E66.jpg[/IMG]

Old 08-25-2007, 08:03 PM

Thanks JPN, I'll try the JB weld first and let you know of the result.
There are 2 filters that looks like oil filter Iknow 1 is the oil filter what is the other one? do I have to replace both at each oil change?
I really appreciate your help.

AJ

Old 08-25-2007, 08:54 PM
JPN

Good evening AJ,

My pleasure.

There is only one oil filter at the oil pan (be sure to go with OEM filter, which is named MANN, and you can buy them at FCP Groton; it's the same filter that the dealer uses, except it's missing "Volvo" logo[8D]).

No, there is no secondary oil filter. I believe you're probably referring to the dryer/receiver for the air conditioning, which does look like an oil filter if seen from the bottom.

I hope the JB Weld works. If the leak is minimal, I would just keep an eye on the oil level than spend $100 for a new hose + a job that can possibly become a nightmare.

Wish you luck.

JPN

P.S: I've been to Randolph for a few times and it is a peaceful town. There is no place like New England region, the autumn & winter, mild summer, lovely spring (except the mud season[8D])

Old 08-25-2007, 09:18 PM

Thanks,yes New England is Fantastic, I was born In Montreal Canada , I have the best of both world, I live in the USA and I am close to my family in Montreal.