Volvo 850 Made from 1993 to 1997, this Volvo line was available in both a wagon and a sedan, both with were graced with several trim levels.

Painting a Bumper

Search this Thread

Old 01-19-2009, 08:34 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Painting a Bumper

So I was recently in an accident. Not too much damage to the car except for the rear bumper. The damage is mostly cosmetic so while I was visiting my sister in Tucson, AZ recently, I stopped at The Revolv Store and picked up a new bumper. I saved a ton of money but its not the right color. My car is black, the bumper is red.

So what I'm wondering is there any way for somebody that doesn't own a body shop (i.e. me) to be able to take a red bumper and paint it black? And have it look decent in the process?

I've searched all over these forums (and others) and the only threads I can find regarding bumper painting talk about the plastic trim that fades to grey over time.

Old 01-19-2009, 08:58 PM
Default RE: Painting a Bumper

Sure there is...
Here are some basic instructions...Do not worry about color in the beginning...
First get the bumper smooth, start with say 120 grit or 160 grit, hit the rough spots, making sure NOT TO GOUGE the plastic, then go 220 or 240, once the bumper is smooth hit it with say 320 I would use a DA for the 220 and 320. Once the bumper is smooth.Then get a good high build primer, go to an auto paint supply store they will custom mix you two large cans, have them custom mix 2 or 3 cans of the color of your car and 2 cans of clear coat...this will ensure a good match. Temp must be near 70F ... Take it home in a clean environment and spray light and slow, making sure to get an even coat on the painted surfaces and beyond all the wrap around points. You are going to want to apply 2 -3 coats of the high build. Let it set overnight. then the following day keeping temp warm. THen take new paper at 320 or higher and go over every surface you are going to paint, going for smooth, do not pay attn to color although with 3 coats of high build your color should be consistent. Once you have gone over it wet with 400 look for any areas that may be exposed...then apply more high build, wait the required 40 mins then hit the high spots with 400. Ok now your bumper is Babys butt smooth and one color. Shake your premixed paint well and go slow. Spray in thin coats NO RUNS, Go over it each time adding slightly more color, make sure the previous coat is at least tacky NOT WET, before you go on...do this until your bumpers color is consistent everywhere, make sure to overlap all edges. Once the color is on, and has setup for 2 hours, then go and apply the clear, again, go slow, thin coat, wait 20 mins and another thin coat...same thing until the whole bumper GLISTENS. Now allow it to setup 2 days before you 'color sand' to remove imperfections...once that is done you will have a very nice bumper 'from a can'....GL

Here is a baisc DIY car paint ...you can learn a LOT from this site
http://www.thebugshop.org/bsfqpnt.htm

Old 03-24-2009, 03:25 PM

So with the initial sanding with the 120-160 grit, how much sanding should I go for? Just to get out the rough spots and give the paint something to grip to or should I be trying to sand down past the current paint thats on the bumper?

Old 03-24-2009, 04:20 PM
Super Moderator
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I think a black car would look good with a red bumper.

haha

No you are not trying to sand through the existing pant, you are just going for a perfectly smooth surface that is roughed up. I did this to my front spoiler once. It didn't hold up worth a darn, but it's the lower front and get nicked up easily. Just had it redone profestionally and it's already showing marks. Rear should not take anywhere near the beating though.