Volvo 850 Made from 1993 to 1997, this Volvo line was available in both a wagon and a sedan, both with were graced with several trim levels.

Parts Source

Search this Thread

Old 03-24-2007, 03:54 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Parts Source

I did a search and came up empty. I could not believe nobody has asked this before.
I am looking for good aftermarket parts sources for my 1997 850 GLT. Who do you guys recommend?

Sory, I just found it at the top of the page in the stickies. DUH!

Old 03-24-2007, 04:08 PM
Super Moderator
Received 34 Likes on 34 Posts
Default RE: Parts Source

GLad you found the info in the stickys. From personal experience I can reecommend IPD, FCP Grpton, and Egerman parts. Also AZautohaus is good.

Glenn

Old 03-24-2007, 05:08 PM
Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts

Yeah this is why I have PINNED threads.

Old 03-24-2007, 05:16 PM

My next question is this or shall I say questions.

1. What is your budget?

2. What is your Hp goal?

3. Is the 97 850 GLT turboed or NA? I forget. If it is NA I seriously wouldn't bother modding the engine too much. I would do suspension and interior.exterior mods. If it is turboed then dive right in and upgrade that engine.

Old 03-24-2007, 11:11 PM
JPN
Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts

Hi,

Here's my prejudice. Volvos (or any car) are extremely sensitive to the quality of parts, and whenever possible, OEM parts should be used (unless one is into mods). OEM parts are indeed more expensive, but the extra cost is well worth it if you plan to keep you vehicle for more than 2 years.

JPN

[IMG]local://upfiles/6892/12B6CB23DFA64A88A1634683121A1212.jpg[/IMG]

Old 03-25-2007, 02:16 AM

My budget varies from month to month. At the moment I am mostly looking to see what is available. I am planning to put in a g-valve when I find the time. I have a boost gage I need to install. I bought a service manual on DVD from someone on eBay and am waiting for it to arrive to see which lines to tap and where to install the g-valve. I have no idea which line goes where right now. I have only had this car for about 3 weeks.
I am new to Volvos. This is my first one and I am enjoying it very much. It is a fire engine red 1997 850 GLT. It is also the first turbo car I have ever even ridden in that I know of.
I took my F-150 out for a ride a couple of days ago and couldn't believe how much difference the feeling of power was

Old 03-25-2007, 02:49 AM
JPN

Hello again HareBall,

I understand what you mean. But even when you're on budget, I would stay away from inferior parts, as they cost you more later.

Ah, F-150. At work I used to drive '94 F-150 and I did some major work on it. But yes, turboed Volvos are really something, especially at above 4,000 RPM.

Good day,

JPN

Old 03-25-2007, 02:52 AM

ORIGINAL: HareBall

My budget varies from month to month. At the moment I am mostly looking to see what is available. I am planning to put in a g-valve when I find the time. I have a boost gage I need to install. I bought a service manual on DVD from someone on eBay and am waiting for it to arrive to see which lines to tap and where to install the g-valve. I have no idea which line goes where right now. I have only had this car for about 3 weeks.
I am new to Volvos. This is my first one and I am enjoying it very much. It is a fire engine red 1997 850 GLT. It is also the first turbo car I have ever even ridden in that I know of.
I took my F-150 out for a ride a couple of days ago and couldn't believe how much difference the feeling of power was
1. What is a "G" valve?

2. What is your budget? It varies ok, well that could mean $1.00-$1,000,000? So what is a ballpark range.

3. What is your Hp goal?

Now that I know your turbocharged this is what I would do...

a. STAGE ZERO ( http://volvospeed.com/vs_forum/The-V...To-t21017.html )

b. 3" mandrel bent downpipe to a 2.5" mandrel bent catback system witha free flowing straight through desgin muffler.

c. K&N panel filter or OEM paper filter. Or buy the EST intake system.

I would also dyno your car stock and get a/f ratios. Then dyno your car after the turboback exhaust system and intake with a/f ratios.

d. Get an ECU upgrade (IPD, RICA, Upsolute, Inmotion, SpeedTuning USA). Send your dyno results stock and with the added performance parts to the ECU tuner. They will custom tune your ECU to your mods.

Dyno again with a/f ratios.

Those are some nice decent mods to start with.

Now if you want to go higher up. I suggest going with a 16T turbo or something bigger like an 18T/19T or a non OEM turbocharger. Install an FMIC (Front Mount Intercooler, this would even help on your car now too). Bigger injectors and stick with the 3" downpipe and then go with a 3" catback system. More dyno time and custom ECU tuning.

Old 03-25-2007, 09:47 AM

ORIGINAL: S70driver

1. What is a "G" valve?
http://www.xmission.com/~dempsey/perform/grainger.htm
That is probably the best reference to one I could find in all my searches. I kept seeing things about them and even read a post with someone discribing it, but this one is the first I found with pictures. Basically it is an adjustable check valve. It keeps the wastegate closed until you reach the desired boost and then it pops open.
Here is one I found on ebay: http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...4131066&rd=1,1
I would probably stay away from this one though, because at that price I wonder how good it could be.

About budget, I don't think I can afford a 3" downpipe. The ones I have seen are way out of my price range. I just can't justify $600-$900 for this. Maybe later when I get it paid off.
Larry

Old 03-25-2007, 10:06 AM

1. What is a "G" valve?
That is probably the best reference to one I could find in all my searches. I kept seeing things about them and even read a post with someone discribing it, but this one is the first I found with pictures. Basically it is an adjustable check valve. It keeps the wastegate closed until you reach the desired boost and then it pops open.
Here is one I found on ebay: http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...066&rd=1,1
I would probably stay away from this one though, because at that price I wonder how good it could be.

About budget, I don't think I can afford a 3" downpipe. The ones I have seen are way out of my price range. I just can't justify $600-$900 for this. Maybe later when I get it paid off.
Larry
This is why I say go to a local muffler shop that can mandrel bend. They might be able to make you one for about half those prices.

Old 03-25-2007, 10:13 AM

Also if you do things in stages it is easier.

Save up for STAGE ZERO and a boost gauge and A-pillar pod.

Then save up for a downpipe

Then save up for a catback exhaust system

Then save up for a ECU upgrade.

Mean while save up for those dynos. I only suggest you dyno because it help you better understand where your starting at and then as you progress it will only help you understand where you came from to where you are now. Also if you send your results with the A/F ratios to a place like RICA they will custom tune your ECU to the mods you have and to what the dyno sheets read. They is why it is important to get A/F ratios when you dyno.

RICA is exspensive $700+, IPD is the same at about $795, Upsolute $425, Inmotion $200-$400 and SpeedTuning USA $325.

You can go with either of these tunes. Just expect me to say later. You get what you pay for. I have SpeedTuning USA. I love it, but it does run rich. If I had saved up I would def. go with RICA. Much better ECU tune.

Nothing for Volvos is cheap. You bought the wrong car to add performance parts to if you want cheap. This isn't a HONDA, Etc... here.

Old 03-25-2007, 11:59 AM
JPN

>Nothing for Volvos is cheap.
Wait S70, the little light bulbs are cheap (instrument, spoiler stop-lamp, etc...).

Other than that, you're right.

JPN

↓This Honda isn't all that cheap, either[8D].

[IMG]local://upfiles/6892/12BCADFDA377424AB078D889254A52EF.jpg[/IMG]

Old 03-25-2007, 02:02 PM

Thats an NSX.

I am talking about your everyday HONDA.

Old 03-25-2007, 03:09 PM

1. What is a "G" valve?
Here is one I found on ebay: http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...4131066&rd=1,1

Larry
This is why I say go to a local muffler shop that can mandrel bend. They might be able to make you one for about half those prices.
I'll have to check. We have some pretty good hotrod shops around Knoxville, so I'll have to check to see which of the muffler shops does the best work. I work with a guy who is into Volkswagons and Audis. He also used to have a turbo Hayabusa. He probably knows where to go around here.
Larry

Old 03-25-2007, 09:03 PM
JPN

↓My everyday Honda (My 2nd car, taken about 10 years ago).

An ordinary Accord, with an excellent aerodynamics (cd-0.32). Manufactured in Marysville, OH.

JPN

[IMG]local://upfiles/6892/FA9FCDE99F784E2F854B12196303096E.jpg[/IMG]