Volvo 850 Made from 1993 to 1997, this Volvo line was available in both a wagon and a sedan, both with were graced with several trim levels.

pcv/positive manifold pressure

Search this Thread

Old 04-27-2007, 04:08 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default pcv/positive manifold pressure

The PCV system is definatly not doing it's job in my '97 850 T5 with 150k on the clock. I do not know if it is the canister. I have seen that the system proably is clogged with oil. From searching the site I found an entire system for $230. The local dealer want's $250 to change out the hoses and system. I am doubting that they are replacing the entire system though. Is there anything that I could do that wouldn't be over the $200 mark?

I also saw an older turbo volvo have the same symptoms of my car. The owner just added an external catch can (tap valve cover and re-route to post maf intake). This provided enough ventalation for the engine. Would this be a possible resoloution to my problem?

Nick

Old 04-27-2007, 04:55 PM
Super Moderator
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: pcv/positive manifold pressure

I just bought a PCVkit from fcpgroton for $118.75. Have not done it yet, but will be shortly on the 95.

Old 04-27-2007, 05:23 PM

ORIGINAL: white out

The PCV system is definatly not doing it's job in my '97 850 T5 with 150k on the clock. I do not know if it is the canister. I have seen that the system proably is clogged with oil. From searching the site I found an entire system for $230. The local dealer want's $250 to change out the hoses and system. I am doubting that they are replacing the entire system though. Is there anything that I could do that wouldn't be over the $200 mark?

I also saw an older turbo volvo have the same symptoms of my car. The owner just added an external catch can (tap valve cover and re-route to post maf intake). This provided enough ventalation for the engine. Would this be a possible resoloution to my problem?

Nick
Buy the PCV entire kit from FCPGroton that JimKW is talking about. It's cheap, and you can do it yourself. I just did it 2 weeks ago. Just out of curiousity, what are your "symptoms" ?
Here's a link that you can used as reference: http://volvospeed.com/vs_forum/index...howtopic=29650

Old 04-27-2007, 07:53 PM

Thanks guys, I will proably do it this week then. Save a $100.

leaking oil, pressure out of dipstick tube, dealer told me it was pcv too.

Nick

Old 04-27-2007, 11:24 PM

Hey bro.

Just following up. If the dipstick is popping out, thats your answer right there.
I'm hoping you're only leaking from there or your oil cap. It'd suck if it went to long with pressure buildup and now you have to replace other seals.

Regardless, its fairly easy. I can give you assistance if need be, email me at rudemoodz@aol.com anytime.

peace
Josh

Old 04-28-2007, 03:15 AM

I got and installed the FCPGroton kit a weeks ago to. Had the exact same isssues, i had smoke coming out of the exhaust. I thought turbo was shot. ITs so much nicer now not to have to see all the puddles i was leaving after i parked. Seems a lot of people have this issues and have to replace it around 150k.

Good luck.
Matt

Old 04-28-2007, 10:45 AM

Yeah, I am definatly ordering the kit. Take a day to do it, and get the car back to normal.
Thanks for all your help guys. Josh, I will shoot you an e-mail if I have any issues.

Nick

Old 04-28-2007, 02:31 PM

sounds good man. I check it pretty regularly...on my phone etc if Im not home..
One pointer thats really really important. When you get to the point of removing the fuel rail, the instructions tell you to pull slowly (and evenly across) to uproot the injectors from the cylinders. This leads you to believe they're definately going to seperate at the cylinder, as opposed to the rail you have in your hand. I had to injectors pop OUT of the rail and remain in the cylinders. This wouldnt have been a big deal aside from the the fact that the injectors have o-rings and a seal on the fuel rail side. The orings and seals went flying when this happened, and it took me over an hour to find them tucked into the nooks and crannies of the engine and accessories. According to my local dealer, you cant buy the injector seals by themself...you have to buy the whole injector which is ridiculous. I dont know if this is the case or not..but you dont want to have to deal with it if you dont have to. Keep an eye out when you remove the rail that you dont lose any orings or seals. its also a sickfeeling when you're afraid you couldve gotten any dust or dirt on the injectors.

Old 04-28-2007, 02:44 PM

Great advice on the o rings. When I did mine I was paranoid about reusing the o rings and went to NAPA to see if they could match them. Turns out the ones for a 5.0 Mustang were the same size injector. I had to buy 5 of the Motorcraft injector kits with the o ring and pintle and all that and only need the o ring but it was an extra $16 or so and great peace of mind. Reuse them but lube them a little so they won't tear and if you do lose one you can match up at NAPA. No leaks yet and it was months ago.

FYI- do it as soon as possible. I am in the process of pulling my engine to replace the RMS cause the previous owner waited too long. I would drop the sub and pull the trans but want to check the engine over and replace all hoses so this seemed the best course of action. Plus, it gave me a great excuse to justify to the wife buying an air compressor and some tools to go with it. YESSS!!!! But remember, it will ruin the RMS if it goes too long. I suspect mine is torn as it leaks about a quart every 100 miles. I will know sometime soon if it is torn as I am trying to pick up the pace on taking it apart.

Good luck,
Rob

Old 04-29-2007, 06:47 PM

Just out of curiosity, how long does this generally take? I am pretty good with cars (currently swapping the engine in my subaru).

Nick

Old 04-29-2007, 09:51 PM

ORIGINAL: white out

Just out of curiosity, how long does this generally take? I am pretty good with cars (currently swapping the engine in my subaru).

Nick

I spent about 2 hours maybe more. Taking my time and going slow.

Old 04-30-2007, 12:08 AM

Cool, thanks.

Nick

Old 04-30-2007, 06:14 PM

Just picked up the kit from fcp. $147 with three day delivery. Better than the $250+ that the volvo dealer told me. You know it wasn't all the parts that I bought either.

Does anyone think that I should throw in an external catch can while doing all this for extra safety?

Nick

Old 05-01-2007, 03:16 PM

Do you mean to replace the CURRENT oil trap? Or an additional one?

If you mean the stock one thats there, YES..ABSOLUTELY, WITHOUT A DOUBT replace it! For $31 you KNOW the job you just did is 100%, as opposed to just hoping its good enough. It's too much of a pain removing everything (cover, throttle cables, fuel rail/injectors, oil dipstick, intake manifold, etc) to do it half *** in my opinion.

If you mean an additional one...I guess it couldnt hurt...but you'll probably be fine if you just replace the stock one.

Old 05-02-2007, 02:47 AM

I meant just add another one. I currently have one from my STi that I am no longer using (making a custom atmospheric version [8D]), so I was going to just add it for extra safety.

Nick

Old 05-03-2007, 02:18 AM

Parts are in!

Tommorro morning/early afternoon I have to pull my STi's front wheels, halfshafts, up pipe, and wastegate. Then I can tear into the volvo.

Nick

Old 05-04-2007, 06:44 PM

Is there a diagram of the entire pcv system? I have everything changed except two elbows in the kit.

Nick

Old 05-04-2007, 10:30 PM

unless you have two additional parts that you shouldnt have received its extremely straight forward if you removed all the parts you received.
Did you use these images?
http://volvospeed.com/vs_forum/index...howtopic=29650

Old 05-05-2007, 03:11 AM

Yeah I did. It was extreemly easy to repair. I am wondering if I was sent some non-turbo parts also.

Anyways, the car is running much better now.

Nick