Volvo 850 Made from 1993 to 1997, this Volvo line was available in both a wagon and a sedan, both with were graced with several trim levels.

PCV System or 850 for sale...

Search this Thread

Old 07-02-2008, 09:23 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default PCV System or 850 for sale...

So, I seem to be too scared to do the PCV system myself. With that as the case, I can't really afford to have someone fix my car.

Even with this:
http://www.lakesidedp.com/uploadpics/pcv/

And all the other help on this forum, I just don't think I could do it. I've read through everything so many times and I still don't understand some of the terms and what needs to be done.

If I can't garner the courage, I'm going to have to attempt to sell my 850.

With needing a new PCV system, needing a new odometer gauge and some body damage to the left rear passenger door (due to some jerk who hit me in a parking lot and left my door in shambles while I was getting breakfast)

Does anyone know what I might be able to get for my 96 850? I installed a cd player myself last year, put some awesome speakers in the front and everything works except for said problems and the front driver seat heater. It's in great condition, too. Brand new windshield (because someone tried to pry mine off recently, while my car has been off the road since January). And, a lot of love

I really wish I could find someone to help me. I feel pretty dejected at this point.

Old 07-02-2008, 12:48 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: PCV System or 850 for sale...

Replacing a PCV system is NOT difficult. You just start pulling parts and replace them with new ones. Print the instructions+pictures from the forum and keep them beside you while you do it to make sure you don't screw up.

These instructions are also very good: http://lakesidedp.com/uploadpics/pcv/

If you sell the 850 and get another one you'll probably find surprises much worse than a PCV which is trivial.

Old 07-02-2008, 02:27 PM

If I sold it, I could not really afford another one. I just can't keep paying insurance and things on it if it's going to have to sit in my driveway forever.

I just wish I had someone who could take me through it.

Maybe I'll open her up tonight and see the task that lies ahead again.

Old 07-02-2008, 02:32 PM

Are the instructions the same for my 1996 850, not turbo?

Old 07-02-2008, 04:15 PM

Jane,
Honestly, the difficulty of the job really depends on your comfort level with fixing your Volvo. I recently replaced my PCV system...a first time experience with my Volvo. It took me several hours to complete. The job is not hard, just takes time figuring out how to remove the intake manifold, lots of time wasted trying to find the intake manifold bolts that dropped into the engine compartment, and removing the radiator fan (if you decide to remove the fan to give yourself more room). I'm comfy with tackling mechanical stuff and hoping for the best when I come across a situation that I'm not familiar with. If you're the same, then I say take the job on! You'll feel mighty proud when you finish. There is plenty of help on this board should you get stuck. Have a digital camera ready for uploading pictures of things that don't make sense to you. Good luck!

Old 07-02-2008, 09:27 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

There are afew of tricks on the PCV. I had to fight with one before I figured out that the bottom row of bolts on the intake manifold don't need to be removed, just loosen them about halfway on the studs as the bottom of the intake manifold has slots, not holes.

If you have EGR the bolts to the EGR valve are a real bear to get to but it can be done by a mortal. Buy a new EGR gasket and a new throttle body gasket in addition to the parts in the "Kit". This is a perfect time to clean up the throttle body. If you have EGR take this opportunity to also clean out the hole in the bottom of the manifold where the EGR valve bolts up and also use a bunch of carb cleaner through the EGR valve itself.

A 1/4" drive socket with a long (6") extension and a swivel is imperative. You also need a crimp tool for the hose clamps.

On the nasty bolt under the alternator do it without the swivel. You can reach in and feel the bolt and then aim the socket to get to it (I think I used a 3" extension and a 6" extension stacked together on that one.

Buy a bunch of small hose clamps. I could only get to about half of the crimp style clamps with the crimp tool that I have.

After you have the intake manifold off snap a picture of the lines going in and out of the oil trap. There are conflicting diagrams so I just hooked mine up the way it was before.

Figure on a full day to do the service the first time.

...Lee

Old 07-04-2008, 08:08 AM

This was the first repair that I did on my 96 turbo, and it restored my desire to repair my own cars again. I had given that up when cars went all electronic because it was to hard to figure out what was wrong without a computer, however everyone here is very helpful with the diagnostics and repair procedures. Definately take the fan off for better clearance and I was able to only remove the intake hose at the throttle body to move the intake manifold off to the side to do this repair.

Old 07-04-2008, 08:39 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Jane, don't you have a friend that can help you? Sometimes 1+1 > 2.

Or is it that the world has become so selfish that nobody helps a neighbor anymore?