Volvo 850 Made from 1993 to 1997, this Volvo line was available in both a wagon and a sedan, both with were graced with several trim levels.

picked up a 19T but need a DP and other ???

Search this Thread

Old 09-30-2010, 07:03 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default picked up a 19T but need a DP and other ???

So I am working along at gathering up parts for my motor build and picked up a 19T from an "R".

I now have a "dilemma" I MIGHT be picking up a 97' T5 wagon black on black OR I will be continuing with the 94 Sedan. The issue is a downpipe. The 94 sedan has a "conical" flange 15G in it. Not sure what the 97' has since VADIS is not real descriptive and I haven't been under the hood of the car yet. (POORING RAIN here in CT today).

I need to get a look at it and see what kind of deal I can get on it.

Either way I pretty sure it is not an "ANGLE" flange housing like the 19T.

I have access to MIG and TIG welding so making up a downpipe is not an issue, what is an issue is the flange to mount to the turbo housing.

Does anyone have a source?

CAD drawing?

My thought was to take some accurate dimensions of the location of the downpipe relative to the oil pan rail of the engine while in the car. From there I could "mock up" a 3" downpipe using the motor I am rebuilding as a "jig".

The stainless 3" items available from a few places are way to pricey for me. The materials cost out at about 1/2 the price and my time and the welders (my father) is free.

Other questions related to the turbo.

#1: Anyone have any real world experience with the "S60R" manifold? Is it worth it? Or would a clean up of the stocker be ok?

#2: Anyone know what the stock Actuator PSI for the 19T is? Came off a 2000 V70R?

#3: I managed to cross reference an FPR from an early Dodge 2.2 Turbo to be a 4 Bar equivalent of the 850's 3.5 bar. Picked one up for $25!! Lot cheaper than the stocker from the dealer. Using "stock" orange injectors which I believe to be 315cc can the stock ECU handle the 7% increase in flow if the FPR was installed onto an otherwise stock motor?

#4: Can the stock ECU tune correct for the increased boost, higher flow injectors and better breathing motor ?

Attached Thumbnails picked up a 19T but need a DP and other ???-3253_6874_04.jpg  
Old 09-30-2010, 07:55 AM
Super Moderator

I have the flange, PM me.

Old 09-30-2010, 08:42 AM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by 1996850turbo
S

#1: Anyone have any real world experience with the "S60R" manifold? Is it worth it? Or would a clean up of the stocker be ok?

#2: Anyone know what the stock Actuator PSI for the 19T is? Came off a 2000 V70R?

#3: I managed to cross reference an FPR from an early Dodge 2.2 Turbo to be a 4 Bar equivalent of the 850's 3.5 bar. Picked one up for $25!! Lot cheaper than the stocker from the dealer. Using "stock" orange injectors which I believe to be 315cc can the stock ECU handle the 7% increase in flow if the FPR was installed onto an otherwise stock motor?

#4: Can the stock ECU tune correct for the increased boost, higher flow injectors and better breathing motor ?
Yes, just look at pictures of the stock manifold compared to the r manifold. There is obviously more flow. Search VS, find a lot of info on there comparing the stock, japan, and R manifold.

You should tune the ecu for stuff like that. If you put on more boost with an EBC or MBC, the ecu will adjust to a point, but it should really be tuned, especially with a 19T. I'm not running mine past 10 psi until I get a tune for my larger injectors and increased boost. It should also be tuned for the R manifold and larger exhaust.

Old 10-01-2010, 07:02 AM
Exclamation

Originally Posted by boxpin
I have the flange, PM me.
PM sent VERY INTERESTED!

Old 10-01-2010, 07:19 AM

Originally Posted by gilber33
Yes, just look at pictures of the stock manifold compared to the r manifold. There is obviously more flow. Search VS, find a lot of info on there comparing the stock, japan, and R manifold.

You should tune the ecu for stuff like that. If you put on more boost with an EBC or MBC, the ecu will adjust to a point, but it should really be tuned, especially with a 19T. I'm not running mine past 10 psi until I get a tune for my larger injectors and increased boost. It should also be tuned for the R manifold and larger exhaust.
I've read some of the stuff on VS and again this is a similar thing to the N/A cam issue, nothing concrete. Manufacturers make changes all the time for many different reasons. The "R" manifold does LOOK to have more flow but does it flow SIGNIFICANTLY better? It obviously uses less material to make and a less complicated mold, therefore was the change for the better performance or cheaper to make?

According to VADIS this was also used on other cars besides the S60R. I need to "crack" into the VADIS database to see a cross reference for all the applications since junkyard hunting works so well for me. The turbo which I have completely disassembled to clean/rebuild only cost me $200 complete and really didn't need a rebuild I just want everything going on or in this motor to be as good as possible. Best price I saw so far was like $800 or so for an 18T.

What's a good Tune to go with?

Old 10-01-2010, 07:37 AM

I've read some of the stuff on VS and again this is a similar thing to the N/A cam issue, nothing concrete. Manufacturers make changes all the time for many different reasons. The "R" manifold does LOOK to have more flow but does it flow SIGNIFICANTLY better? It obviously uses less material to make and a less complicated mold, therefore was the change for the better performance or cheaper to make?

According to VADIS this was also used on other cars besides the S60R. I need to "crack" into the VADIS database to see a cross reference for all the applications since junkyard hunting works so well for me. The turbo which I have completely disassembled to clean/rebuild only cost me $200 complete and really didn't need a rebuild I just want everything going on or in this motor to be as good as possible. Best price I saw so far was like $800 or so for an 18T.

Why is everyone questioning this stuff so much??? If you would thoroughly search on that site you would find numbers regarding the manifolds. And because there isn't dyno numbers why does that not mean that it flows better? Some of the cars on that site aren't running them because they think they look like they MIGHT flow better or they're prettier, it's because they do. Even when I switched to the japanifold, it was completely obvious it flows better, completely different exhaust note and the engine just ran different.

for tune, search on here and on VS again. IPD, RICA, Turbotuner, Speedtuning, just a couple to give you an idea. You'll find reviews, and threads regarding the tunes, how cars have ran with different tunes, customer service, prices, etc, etc, etc. there's so much information already out there.

Old 10-01-2010, 10:52 AM

If your going to spend cash on a bigger turbo, and exhaust to make more power... get the manifold.

Your right car companies change crap all the time. Typicly so it works better, or because the government is making them put emission crap on the car...

In the case of the manifold its all about flowing better. Other boards say they notice increses too. Its not just a few ppl.

Larger runner... smoother angles... seems pretty common sense i would say.

Old 10-01-2010, 04:32 PM

I'm trying to figure out how to squeeze in a pipe header. make one of those that fits and you have something.

Old 10-02-2010, 01:29 AM

Originally Posted by Bobec
I'm trying to figure out how to squeeze in a pipe header. make one of those that fits and you have something.
I agree an equal length tube manifold would be nice, the issue is that I thing you need to go DOWN with the tubes and put the turbo up. Down pipe plumbing would then be an issue.

Old 10-02-2010, 01:37 AM

Originally Posted by gilber33
Why is everyone questioning this stuff so much??? If you would thoroughly search on that site you would find numbers regarding the manifolds. And because there isn't dyno numbers why does that not mean that it flows better? Some of the cars on that site aren't running them because they think they look like they MIGHT flow better or they're prettier, it's because they do. Even when I switched to the japanifold, it was completely obvious it flows better, completely different exhaust note and the engine just ran different.

for tune, search on here and on VS again. IPD, RICA, Turbotuner, Speedtuning, just a couple to give you an idea. You'll find reviews, and threads regarding the tunes, how cars have ran with different tunes, customer service, prices, etc, etc, etc. there's so much information already out there.
Gilber,

The reason people on here QUESTION this stuff is pretty simple. Look at the PRICE they are charging for these manifolds!! Let's for example say that there is a 5% increase in flow. If this "extra" flow only results in a couple H.P. up at 6000 RPM then is it worth the money??

These forums are not just performance related so many of us are on here looking for info on maintaining daily drivers etc. Some of us (I would bet a good size portion) have lots of responsibilities like myself (wife, 2 daughters, $2k/month mortgage etc) $500 on a manifold for a couple HP is not worth the investment IMHO.

My overall impression of those on VS forum was that of the "boy racer" (younger people with less responsibilities and more expendable income) I personally cannot afford to buy "snake oil". While a personal review of a product may help understand how easy it was to install, or how clear the instructions were, or maybe it's overall quality it hardly compares to DYNO Sheets or flow bench numbers.

BTW, Do you actually BELEIVE the reviews posted on a companies website? Think they will actually show the BAD reviews?

Old 10-02-2010, 12:19 PM

Gilber,

The reason people on here QUESTION this stuff is pretty simple. Look at the PRICE they are charging for these manifolds!! Let's for example say that there is a 5% increase in flow. If this "extra" flow only results in a couple H.P. up at 6000 RPM then is it worth the money??

These forums are not just performance related so many of us are on here looking for info on maintaining daily drivers etc. Some of us (I would bet a good size portion) have lots of responsibilities like myself (wife, 2 daughters, $2k/month mortgage etc) $500 on a manifold for a couple HP is not worth the investment IMHO.

My overall impression of those on VS forum was that of the "boy racer" (younger people with less responsibilities and more expendable income) I personally cannot afford to buy "snake oil". While a personal review of a product may help understand how easy it was to install, or how clear the instructions were, or maybe it's overall quality it hardly compares to DYNO Sheets or flow bench numbers.

BTW, Do you actually BELEIVE the reviews posted on a companies website? Think they will actually show the BAD reviews?
Yes, but when you're building a car you don't skimp out here and there because you don't think the gains are worth the price. 5% more flow is 5% more flow. Add that increase with the increase from you exhaust, from a larger tb, from a larger turbo, from larger piping, larger intake, etc, that 5% will make a difference, especially when it's on the part where all the flow leaves your block.

And I didn't post the names of tuners so you could search them and read the reviews on the websites, I posted them so you could search them and read the endless threads about all those companies on VS from the countless people have have personal experience with all of them.

And I don't know where you're searching for an R manifold, but they usually go for no more than 225 shipped. Which, in the scheme of things, is a pretty damn good price for what it is/does.

You're talking about adding a 19T to your car, these turbo are notorious for bending rods, exactly why not a lot of people run them and either stick the 18Ts or K24. From the countless threads I have read and started regarding the 19T, if you're going to run one, you have to do it right. I.e.; use an EBC, not a MBC, make sure you run a boost gauge and a WIDEBAND, not a narrow band. And run a tune with larger injectors.

And yes, while a good portion of the people on VS are young adults in their mid-20's, myself included, a lot of them are family men just like yourself. Search Hussien on VS, that guys a teacher and has built on of the best cars on the forum. And to claim that just because some of these people are young, and do not have the same responsibilities as you do just because you have a mortgage and kid, is not fair. I am a full time student, I work full time, I have my own laundry list of bills that I have to pay, I have a studio apartment that I have to maintain myself. Half of those cars that you see on that forum are built the way they are because the people there work for it, same as me. Not many people my age have a car like mine, but I worked my *** off for it.

Last edited by gilber33; 10-02-2010 at 12:25 PM.
Old 10-02-2010, 12:32 PM

Originally Posted by regime
If your going to spend cash on a bigger turbo, and exhaust to make more power... get the manifold.

Your right car companies change crap all the time. Typicly so it works better, or because the government is making them put emission crap on the car...

In the case of the manifold its all about flowing better. Other boards say they notice increses too. Its not just a few ppl.

Larger runner... smoother angles... seems pretty common sense i would say.
Thank you.

Originally Posted by Bobec
I agree an equal length tube manifold would be nice, the issue is that I thing you need to go DOWN with the tubes and put the turbo up. Down pipe plumbing would then be an issue.
Name:  100_1292.jpg
Views: 391
Size:  165.2 KB

Name:  100_1293.jpg
Views: 279
Size:  209.8 KB

It's not pretty, but it does the job. Read his thread for more information. If you're going to build a car, do it right.

http://volvospeed.com/vs_forum/index...1#entry1378507