Volvo 850 Made from 1993 to 1997, this Volvo line was available in both a wagon and a sedan, both with were graced with several trim levels.

Power window failure

Search this Thread

Old 05-01-2013, 12:01 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Power window failure

Just as I was getting ready to pull the dash apart to replace my odometer gears, I went to roll the windows down, and my drivers front power window won't roll down.

I don't even hear the motor turn.

Are there any common faults for these on 850s? I wonder if it's the bank of switches in the console, the motor itself, or wiring? Any thoughts?

I would assume all 4 window motors use the same fuse?

Old 05-01-2013, 10:04 PM
Administrator
Received 30 Likes on 29 Posts

Switch pack.

Old 05-01-2013, 11:46 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

What rspi said, but i would get my VOM out ck it out to be sure.

Old 05-10-2013, 01:33 PM

Originally Posted by gdog
What rspi said, but i would get my VOM out ck it out to be sure.
It was the switch pack.

I took the switch apart and the interior contacts - the little brass things that have a contact on each end and a bend in the middle - were filthy and corroded.

Cleaned them and the ***** with some IPA and tried to reassemble.

Unfortunately, the tabs that hold the button in place over the contact broke, and now the button won't stay put.

I managed to rig it so I can open and close the window, in case I get pulled over, and may just leave it that way til I can get to the pull a part.

Unless somebody out there has a salvage unit they can pop a button off and sell me?

Old 06-22-2014, 10:06 PM
Question Okay, I'm broke

I bought a 2004, 60k miles, immaculate (so it seems!). I immediately sideswiped a poll (wrong side, lol). The top (old couple hadn't put it down in 10 years) dry rotted and had to be reglued, won't do well due to Houston heat. BUT, FUN, FUN , FUN AND HOT! The seller told me the regulator in driver door had been replaced already. When I rolled it down, it went and about 4" before down, it sounded like it just "fell" the rest of the way. NOW, it won't go down about ABOUT 4 inches. I pushed it and it went, but had to pull it back up. Now, I'm afraid to even try. Maybe the humidity (it is hot and sprinkling) caused something? I don't know . . . . I DO know I am on my way to spend $900 to get the other side fixed. Also, they glued the top back on, but the glue didn't dry due to our high heat and humidity. What has anyone else used? A new top is out of the question. (Did I say I am broke?) Should I have someone pull the door and see what is going on in there or has anyone got any ideas as to whether this is something to get to before it is major or is it just another "quirk" (like the place for my snow skis and icy roads . . . . hear at sea level 120 in the shade and 99% humidity, lol. Water ski's maybe? Not even a cup holder in the back!!! Oh, and LOVE those heated seats, lol. Dogs hit the buttons constantly and I'll be at a light and start burning. Ugh. I love this car but it has some options that I have no idea what to do with and some that, for the class, one would think would be standard. BUT I LOVE THIS CAR. My midlife crises sure gets me the attention. I looked two years and paid cash . . did I mention I am BROKE? LOL. HELP!