Volvo 850 Made from 1993 to 1997, this Volvo line was available in both a wagon and a sedan, both with were graced with several trim levels.

puking oil

Search this Thread

Old 03-24-2008, 07:05 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default puking oil

Crap. So got the head gasket done, car seemed to be a bit slower than before, but was at least driving again. Girlfriend has been drivng it lately as I have not. So to get to the point. I drove the other morning to run some errands and was driving it relatively hard, but no more than usual. Driving home the oil light comes on. [&:]Crap. So I pulled over and pulled the dipstick to check. Had plenty, restarted, shut off, pulled dipstick. Plenty, not full but enough. So I added a tiny bit about a half a quart not even. Drove the mile home from there and parker and shut off. Looked under the hood and it is puking oil from the passenger side of the motor where the serpentine belt is. Lower side of motor from what I can see. Just another "what do you think" post, but seriously, what do you think I should be thinking? Oh yeah......Crap. [:@]

Old 03-24-2008, 07:28 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: puking oil

The things you have in that area are:

1: The oil cooler lines to the radiator.

2: The rectangular seal that seals the flange to the aforementioned cooler lines.

3: The oil pump seal (Front Main Seal or the oil pump O ring).

4: The front camshaft seals - oil will drip down through the timing belt cover until it reaches the bottom).

5. The oil pan itself.

Most likely number 1 if it is spewing. Remove the wheel, fold back the inner fender well, fireup the engine and look for where it isleaking from.

...Lee

Old 03-24-2008, 08:52 PM
JPN
Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts

And to add to Lee's reply,

>2: The rectangular seal that seals the flange to the aforementioned cooler lines.

This is the oil thermostat housing and 2 oil cooler tubes attach to it. It seems that a leak from the oil cooler return hose runs down to that area. I would clean everything and locate the source. The oil cooler return line is noted for leak especially at the connection between metal tubing & the rubber(?) hose section.

When I read your title, I thought someone drunk cooking oil and puked.....

....[X(]

If there was sufficient oil and the low oil lamp came on, it may be due to faulty oil pan O-rings. Moderator Tech has posted a procedure as a pinned thread on the 1st page. Check that out just in case.

JPN

Old 03-25-2008, 02:29 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Right on people, thanks. Makes me feel a bit better. I will try to look at it this weekend. I really appreciate the assistance. My job does not allow much daylight time away from work, so I lazily check the forums before I plan on diving under the hood to see WTF I am looking for. So once again, thanks.