Volvo 850 Made from 1993 to 1997, this Volvo line was available in both a wagon and a sedan, both with were graced with several trim levels.

Rear Shocks rattle

Search this Thread

Old 12-06-2011, 03:26 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Rear Shocks rattle

95 850 wagon- I bought a set of rear Bilstein shocks a while ago and a new set of shock mounts to go with it. The dia of the holes in the mounts looked too large compared to the dia of the top threaded stud on the shocks so I made a small spacer ring so they wouldn’t be able to shift around. Height of ring was the same or less than the thickness of the mount.

Well I put everything in (snapped a couple of the mount mounting bolts of course) tightened it up as tight as it would go with the Nylock nuts. This was months ago. Thought everything was cool. Drove it yesterday with all of my back panels out cause there is an annoying squeak I’m trying to track down. I hear a rattle, knocking sound, I think the shocks are loose or something. Not the mounts, but the top stud. At lunch today I took both top nuts off and added a couple of washers (to raise the nut height) gonna drive it home, but I think it’s still rattle-y.

I really dont see how this little spacer ring would cause this but? I assembled it with a wrench, not air tools, Maybe they just arent tight enough. any thoughts on this- seems kinda strange… Thanks, Dave

Old 12-06-2011, 04:50 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

No need for air tools, but you do need one of those off-set wrenches so you can turn the nut while keeping the bolt steady. You sure you got the right mounts?

Old 12-06-2011, 09:33 PM
Default rattle

vjane- Yeah, I used an offset 17mm wrench, that little flat on the top of the stud is kinda wimpy. The mount looks like the one that came off, generally, dont remember where I ordered it from, the only thing that looked wrong was the hole size- thats why I made the spacer.

It makes me wonder if there is supposed to be some rubber washer between the bottom of the mount and the top of the shock. I've seen a torque spec on that nut, but how do you tighten to a specific number with an offset wrench?

Dave

Old 12-06-2011, 09:43 PM
Administrator
Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

You might want to try to get a mount locally, Oreilly, Autozone, NAPA .... just to be able to compare it. Maybe they sent you the correct box but the wrong part was in it? Maybe it was the wrong box? You shouldn't have to shim them and there shouldn't be any room to do it. Using the washers to make sure you have it tight and the nut is still on "threads" and not on a shoulder at the end of the threads is a good thought. If it still rattles with the washers I'm wondering if they aren't the wrong mounts.
Since you said you snapped off some bolts I'd check to make sure the mounts are still tight against the body too.
It looks like it does fit a few models and years but still, .... it shouldn't be that loose that you can get a spacer in there.

I bought my 850 with a shock sticking through it's mount. I bought Moog mounts and they just bolted to the body and the KYB's bolted into them. Didn't have any washers, spacers or .....

The mount will fit:
VOLVO850(1993 - 1997)
VOLVOC70(1998 - 2004)
VOLVOS70(1998 - 2000)
VOLVOV70(1998 - 2000)

Attached Thumbnails Rear Shocks rattle-suspension-shock-mount-top-view.jpg  
Old 12-07-2011, 10:18 AM

kiss- got a couple ideas up my sleeve- I might put my old shocks back on (that still have the mounts attached) Think I jumped the gun on these Bilsteins, it rides kinda rough for my taste and I dont think I needed new shocks. Might ebay the Bilsteins, see if I can recoup some $.

I backed those bolts out REALLY slow, (out in out in out in out) but both mount bolts on the right side snapped. I drilled them out and re-tapped both and replaced with larger, hardened bolts. Think its good. Dave