Volvo 850 Made from 1993 to 1997, this Volvo line was available in both a wagon and a sedan, both with were graced with several trim levels.

Removing Door Lock Cylinders

Search this Thread

Old 11-21-2007 | 09:35 PM
Default Removing Door Lock Cylinders

Anyone have information on how to remove door lock cylinders from an 850. I've read the instructions in the Haynes manual and they make it sound like it's a piece of cake. I can't seem to find the spring plate to depress. Any help would be greatly appreciated. I just switched the front doors on my 850 and I've got to find a solution.

Old 11-21-2007 | 10:07 PM
Default RE: Removing Door Lock Cylinders

There is a rubber plug on the door jamb, near the handle. If you remove that, there is a clip that you need to spread apart with a small screwdriver. While you have the key in the lock cylinder, I think you may need to wiggle the key a little and pull outward on the key. It is kind of touchy.

Good Luck

Old 11-22-2007 | 09:44 AM
Default RE: Removing Door Lock Cylinders

yeah theres a plastic plate that you pop off, then theres one torx screw that you take out.

then the whole handle will come out, that tricky part is getting it in the new door, not getting it out

be sure to have the key in it when you are trying to put it in the new one

Old 12-04-2012 | 09:11 AM
Talking 850-1995 - Just succeeded - a few pics if it helps

Hi Everyone,

This is for an 850 1995.

Just succeeded with this, it's very subtle. I'm sure Locksmiths would find it easy...

The screwdriver needs to be very small, a flat blade about 3mm wide, an electrical screwdriver type. It needs to go into the tiny slot between two bright aluminium lines inside, then the orientation of the screwdriver shaft is moved down from the horizontal to lift the release. This requires NO FORCE, it's a small catch of some kind.

Then, insert key (horizontal) rotate THE KEY to about 70 degrees up from the horizontal, but not vertical.

Then some force is required to pull out the barrel with the key while holding screwdriver in place. It will surprise you when it releases itself.

I am endeavouring to attach two pics to this post, which I hope are small enough to work on the forum, they show the key points (oh ...key points !!).

Hope this helps someone !

Cheers. Arkon.

Attached Thumbnails  Removing Door Lock Cylinders-door-lock-cylinder-barrel-1.jpg    Removing Door Lock Cylinders-850-door-lock-cylinder-barrel-2.jpg  
The following users liked this post:
az850rd (07-12-2020)
Old 12-04-2012 | 09:24 AM
Default Re-Insertion !

Forgot to mention.

Once the barrel is removed the KEY IS STUCK IN IT. You will need another key if you intend to drive the car ....errr !

Re-Insertion. Seems not to require the screwdriver in place. I put the barrel back in at the same angle and then turned clockwise to the Horizontal and the barrel slips in and clicks into place, as the catch re-engages.

Pic. Of entire lock cylinder / barrel and key.

Cheers. Arkon.

Attached Thumbnails  Removing Door Lock Cylinders-850-door-lock-cylinder-barrel-3.jpg  
Old 11-26-2013 | 12:30 PM

We are trying to remove our door lock cylinder per the instructions, but we cannot get the key in all the way in order to turn it 70 degrees. We think there's something jammed way into the key hole.
Any ideas?

Old 11-29-2013 | 03:06 AM
Default Snapped of key tip in lock barrel ?

Hi Mars,

Well, I presume if you cannot get the key fully in, then you cannot use the key normally to lock and unlock the door ?

Which perhaps, suggests a previous owner managed to snap off the tip of a key shaft inside the lock barrel ?

Sounds like a classic locksmith problem of a snapped off key, surely there must be a neat tool to extract these bits.

I did not investigate precisely what is going on with the bar that extends from the barrel inside the car, presumably that slots into the door catch release mechanism, so having the key fully in the lock must allow that to align correctly. The silver clip where one inserts the screwdriver I guess is a latch or circlip that release the barrel from it's housing.

So, if one could get to the mechanism from inside the door, which is significant surgery, then I suppose, one could rotate the bar and the barrel and push it out.

Cheers, Arkon.

Old 03-03-2015 | 02:50 AM

I've got some doors to put on my 850 but I don't have the key for the locks on the doors I'll be putting on. What are the options?