Volvo 850 Made from 1993 to 1997, this Volvo line was available in both a wagon and a sedan, both with were graced with several trim levels.

rough running cold

Search this Thread

Old 10-10-2011, 10:58 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default rough running cold

I have a 94 850 turbo that runs rough when cold and stalls occassionally (when cold), it starts but just runs rough with low power. You may have to sit and wait for the engine to warm up to get power. the colder it is outside, the rougher it runs but then smooths out after warming. This is not noticeable during warm weather.
Thanks

Old 10-10-2011, 11:08 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Could be any number of things...
  1. what have you checked?
  2. what's the state of tune (i.e. last full tune-up including air/fuel filters)?
  3. any codes set (ck engine lite ON)?
  4. Fuel pressure ckd?
  5. does it warm up promptly (possible thermostat stuck open)?
  6. Miles on the clock?
  7. Compression ckd?
  8. plug wires ever been changed?
  9. tried unplugging the MAF when it's running rough?
  10. etc.

Old 10-11-2011, 08:46 AM
Administrator
Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

I would do the checks above but also check the coolant temp sensor.

Old 10-11-2011, 11:19 PM
Default sad story

The confession is that it is my son's car and it is not in good shape. He bought it because he wanted a volvo (cool ride) and I think his friend that sold it to him ran it a bit hard as evidenced by the scrape marks on the underside. The odometer does not work but based on the miles shown and the estimated years since the odometer failed, the first thing I did was put a timing belt,idlers and a water pump on it, I figured it was way, way over due.
There is a persistent code for a knock sensor which I was told to replace when the starter went out. There are tranasmission codes that I can not isolate nor identify the problem. Economics will not allow for a repair or replacement of the transmission.
I will start on your list this thursday with the boy. I am handy but not sure where to locate the MAF sensor, any help? The other items are good starting points for sure but despite my usual handiness, I am new to this car and at a loss as to where to start due to other persistent problems (mentioned). So, the other confession is that I haven't checked anything because of newness to this car and not knowing. My other son had a Toyota corolla with a similar problem and it was a temperature sensor telling the car that it was warm when in fact it was cold. Once the car warmed, everything was fine. I was hoping that this problem may have been something that some else experienced with a similarly easy fix if one knew where to start.

Thanks, will report back thursday evening.

Old 10-12-2011, 06:41 AM
Administrator
Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Do you know how to read codes from the panel under the hood?

Old 10-12-2011, 09:42 AM
Administrator
Received 30 Likes on 29 Posts

The old saying, "never buy a car from a friend" I think applied to kids. Every one of them that I have ever heard were bad stories of a guy that got a car from a friend, after the friend beat the tar off the thing.

You can check the DIY sticky. Just for kicks, check the mileage, that's always fun. LOL From there I'd replace the temp sensor and keep the training going from there. I'd let him do the work and you can hand him tools. Sounds like he purchased the car, let him dig into it. Good call on the t-belt.

Last edited by rspi; 10-15-2011 at 10:20 PM. Reason: typo
Old 10-15-2011, 09:38 PM
Default update

OK, I got my list and got busy on the car but didn't get far before I found a problem. I opened the hood and poked around. I noticed one of the intake hoses had split. This is a turbo engine so that would not be good for holding boost (last hose before intake manifold). I checked around for anything else obvious, ordered the hose, plugs and wires. I will put those in Monday when the hose comes in. I did not get to check the code yet but will do that when I get into the engine on monday.

Old 10-20-2011, 09:18 PM
Default the result

By and large the problem was the intake hose being split. With an oil change it should be good to go.

Thanks

Old 10-20-2011, 10:16 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by jsteed
By and large the problem was the intake hose being split. With an oil change it should be good to go.

Thanks
That's a little weird that it gave you those symptoms. I remember when I found the same problem on my car, it gave no symptoms at all (that i noticed).

At least it was a relatively cheap fix; good for you!