Volvo 850 Made from 1993 to 1997, this Volvo line was available in both a wagon and a sedan, both with were graced with several trim levels.

RPMs on cold start

Search this Thread

Old 02-04-2007, 01:49 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: RPMs on cold start

But if the leak is from the joint between the metal portion of the line & the rubber hose, you may need a new hose assembly, which I did (hefty US $90!).
If it costs 90 in the US, here it costs 400. No way I'm fixing it if it costs that much.

I wonder why Volvo engineers decided to put the horns right in front of the radiator, sometimes Swedish engineering seems peculiar, but I guess it's part of the attractiveness (?).
IMOit's not attractive at all,otherwise ask everybody with "peculiar" A/C compressor problems and screwed up ABS computers. I think the "horn in front of the radiator" must have been designed by somebody in the truck or bus division. They usually have huge radiators, and a couple of horns there don't bother.

As to the RMS, as long as it's not spraying oil out or if oil isn't getting near any rubber belt,replacement probably can be deferred until a bit later.
I heard it costs a lot in man hours to change the RMS. The seal itself is ridiculously cheap, but the man time costs.

I did some cleaning in the engine cabin with the grease remover and electronic contact cleaner. The top oil cooler line has been leaking oil onto the alternator and a/c compressor forever apparently. I cleaned up the top of the alternator and I was actually able to find aVolvo sticker there! Imagine how much dirty oil was dripping on the bottom side of the cooler line hose. Now it's much cleaner, I hope it'll last.

Regards

Old 02-04-2007, 02:28 PM
JPN
Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts

Hello again Axel,

I just thought of a last-resort fix for that bloody hose. You know, there is an ultimate adhesive that glues almost anything together...EPOXY! You could perhaps try filling the hose-to-metal connection with epoxy and see if it stops leaking. I should've tried it myself before I went for that new hose, which no one knows how long it'll last, as many people reported the same problem.

>If it costs 90 in the US, here it costs 400.
↑[:@][8D][8D][8D]

>I think the "horn in front of the radiator" must have been designed by somebody in the truck or bus division.

Yes indeed, undeniable.

>I cleaned up the top of the alternator and I was actually able to find a Volvo sticker there!
↑ ((((;゚Д゚)))

Have a good Sunday. I'm stuck with work until 11 p.m[8D]

JPN

Old 02-04-2007, 05:01 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

ORIGINAL: axelm

In the morning when I start the engine the rpms go to 1300 rpm for maybe 2 seconds and then idles normally at 900 rpms. The exhaust fumes smell very rich, blue colored at the beginning, then they normalize after a while.

Temps here are 30C during the day, 15C during the night.

Any ideas besides worn rings?
My car does that too...

A very very rough start up. I just thought it'd be attributed to the cold (-7 F)....

I got rich exaust fumes too...

Edit: Doesn't blue smoke means you're burning something? I wish I remembered the colors/chemcial, but I think coolant or something burns blue...

Double Edit: About the Horn on the radiator thing, I know Subaru's have it...

Old 02-05-2007, 04:55 AM
JPN
Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts

Hi Jimmy,

Here's the colour chart:

Blue = Engine oil
White = Normal or coolant. If coolant, it can be noticed by distinct sweet odor.
Dark gray to black = Mixture way too rich.
Yellow = Forget it (just kidding)

RPM jumping after start-up in cold weather is normal. Also, mixture being rich is normal as well. Many years ago when cars still run on carburetor (some enthusiasts still prefer carbs), there was a manual "choke" mechanism with which you could enrich the A/F mixture. Fuel-injected engines do this automatically.

In cold start-upsin places like MN, be easy on the engine. I would let the engine idle at least 3 minutes for minus number temp, so that all fluids going good (oil, coolant, fuel, etc...). Many owner's guides state that you do not have to idle, and just drive slowly for the first 10-15 minutes. I am prejudiced and don't feel comfortable moving the car when the engine is still ice-cold.

I hope this helps.

JPN

Old 02-06-2007, 01:06 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

^LoL. The biggest thing I really gotta do is replace that t-stat....

My garage is so dirty from all the dirty snow and what not.

I have huge problems getting up in the morning lol..So typically I end up doing the drive slowly approach. With a cold engine, the acceleration is terrible.